Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-17-2011, 08:16 AM   #1
JVM
JVM began at the beginning.

Device: none
"Content locked..." with Kobo books - questions

Had my Kobo for a few weeks and everything was working great until yesterday when I selected the book I had been reading and I received a content locked message. It's a kobo (kepub) book, so it's not the content locked message about synching with Adobe (I found many references to that particular problem on the web).

I called Kobo and we went through a process of removing the books from "I'm Reading" on the Kobo website, synching, putting them back on...etc. At the time this didn't seem to work (my 11 books still gave me the same message). The user guide worked though.

Later in the day I power on the unit and it works (for no apparent reason)...and it still seems to be working.

So, now my questions:

- anyone know the common causes of this?
- for anyone who has had this issue, do they have a fix that usually works?
- any tips for solving this when you don't have access to PC or wifi (like if I was away for a few days, as I don't want to get caught out)
- lastly, any tips for a back-up plan...I was thinking of putting a 2nd copy of the books on the Kobo via ADE epub versions (I currently have them on my PC for back-up purposes).

THANKS
JVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:37 AM   #2
sharoncat
sharoncat began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
I had that same problem - 4 weeks of back and forth with the support desk, some good customer service, some really bad - no solution. They finally told me to return my ereader which I have. I am now waiting to see what is going on. It was so frustrating - sometimes the ereader worked for days, other times it wouldn't unlock at all - and anytime I spoke with customer support it was as though I was the only person with this problem and later I find out it is a very common complaint.
sharoncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2011, 11:57 AM   #3
digiSara
Groupie
digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: Kobo wifi
I've had the problem too - but it's only occured just after loading new books to the device (not neccessarily the book I've loaded is locked, but other books on the device). My only solution was to factory reset the device (not great if you're away)

I've stopped using the Kobo Desktop (I update over Wifi) and stopped using ADE to load books (I load other books using Calibre) and haven't experienced the problem again yet
digiSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 01:09 PM   #4
sharoncat
sharoncat began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
factory resets work for the first few times and then its back to locked contents - 6 weeks and still having problems - that is why I returned my Kobo
sharoncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:58 AM   #5
JVM
JVM began at the beginning.

Device: none
I now have plenty of books on the kobo so my plan will be to not add any others for a while, and I'll charge the kobo with a usb wall mount charger. So I will not connect to the PC and will not synch. Even if I buy a new book, I'll leave it in the purchased section and not update library.

I had purchased a book and from what I recall I think I synched just before this problem occurred...so maybe that triggered something?

Any thoughts on using ADE to add a 2nd copy of the book (epub and kepub) to the Kobo. I was thinking that if the kepub version locked, maybe I would try the epub version (or visa-versa). If I was away and had this issue I thought this is a possible work-around.
JVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert