Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-25-2010, 02:46 PM   #31
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Why does your info say you own a 650 already?
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 03:10 PM   #32
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
European rates are closer to $30 a day I understand - about twice the domestic U. S. cost.
The 950 seems like it'd be great for checking email, etc. at times when you don't feel like hauling out and booting up a netbook/laptop.
Yep, I've seen anywhere from $20 to $40 a night overseas. And when it's free it's typically unreliable or they give you a stack of codes for 1 hour at a time....

I have been able to use the 950 to check and send emails successfully. It works well with gmail. It is a bit cumbersome with my ISP webmail since their website design is too cluttered.

You can even check the MobileRead forums. The mobile version of MR gives me an error, but the full version works fine. I was surprised that Sony had a preloaded bookmark for the goodreads mobile site, and it seems to work ok too.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2010, 03:32 PM   #33
Purl5
Enthusiast
Purl5 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-950
Quote:
Why does your info say you own a 650 already?
because when i created my login, it said to list the reader you had or planned to buy.

At that point I was leaning towards the 650... after a few days of reading reviews, the forums, etc & thinking about it... I'm leaning closer to the 950. It IS $50 more but this is my first one & I'm not one to upgrade quickly, so I want this purchase to be one I'm happy with for a long time.

Hence the little tip factor on the gmail ability.
Purl5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 03:41 PM   #34
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I thought it was something like that. Good luck to you with your decision!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 03:59 PM   #35
Purl5
Enthusiast
Purl5 began at the beginning.

Quote:
I thought it was something like that. Good luck to you with your decision!
and I am inordinately proud of myself for figuring out how to edit that. Hopefully I'll remember again once I hit "Buy". I'm probably going to wait another couple of days. Just to see what the sales do.
Purl5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2010, 04:08 PM   #36
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was just reading an article in USA Today about ereaders being a popular gift this holiday season. The article suggested using the browser on your ereader to access web-based calendar services to check your schedule away from your computer. Interesting use!
Old 12-07-2010, 03:41 PM   #37
Tdub
Tdub began at the beginning.

Web surfing not useful, including for mobile version websites.
1. I get a lot of DNS errors, in which case the requested page does not load, and
2. My 950 will not allow me to scroll down a web page, even though the manual says you're supposed to be able to do this. Is anyone else having these problems??
Tdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:32 PM   #38
Ken401
Addict
Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PRS-950, PRS-505, Nexus 10, Xoom
I haven't noticed DNS errors. I can scroll, but it is slow. A frustration of mine is not being able to view websites in landscape mode. What a glaring oversight, IMHO!
Ken401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:30 PM   #39
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken401 View Post
... A frustration of mine is not being able to view websites in landscape mode. What a glaring oversight, IMHO!
This is unfortunate because an update to provide this functionality (or any other ones) is highly unlikely.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:43 AM   #40
christr
christr began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdub View Post
Web surfing not useful, including for mobile version websites.
1. I get a lot of DNS errors, in which case the requested page does not load, and
2. My 950 will not allow me to scroll down a web page, even though the manual says you're supposed to be able to do this. Is anyone else having these problems??
The DNS errors are likely a provider issue. Where are you getting your WiFi from? Is it your home router or someplace else? I have not yet tried mine with 'free' WiFi networks that require a login via a webpage to work. I've only used it on company and personal WiFi and have never seen the DNS issue.

As for scrolling you can only do it by using 'swipe' action on the screen. The buttons don't work for some stupid reason.

--Chris
christr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:59 AM   #41
jessie102
Addict
jessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: SONY PRS505
we need orientation!!
jessie102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:01 PM   #42
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
You can even check the MobileRead forums. The mobile version of MR gives me an error, but the full version works fine.
Sorry to bring back this old topic - but better late than never, right? This problem has been fixed. Turns out, the built-in browser of the 950 uses a buggy webkit implementation. More about the bug can be found it. For the mobile version of MR we switched to UTF-8 encoding which should now make it browsable on the 950 as well.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:50 PM   #43
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Sorry to bring back this old topic - but better late than never, right? This problem has been fixed. Turns out, the built-in browser of the 950 uses a buggy webkit implementation. More about the bug can be found it. For the mobile version of MR we switched to UTF-8 encoding which should now make it browsable on the 950 as well.
Absolutely, better late is better than never. The 950 webkit implementation is clearly more buggy than my other ereaders. I just tested it. Brilliant! Thank you so much for fixing it!