Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 01-13-2011, 11:26 AM   #61
Opusbruger
Opusbruger began at the beginning.

Device: Opus
Okay, I'll answer that myself..!

First of all, the Opus doesn't make use of any visible .dat file.
Apparantly you have to download and (then figure out, how to) upgrade the firmware. It includes a MicroSD card (so you better have one ready - or get one quick. Hopefully it's not friday after 18:00, so you'll have to wait for Monday..!)
Once you've done that - all the books that came preinstalled on your Opus are gone.., and the ones you've bought as well..!

But all is not lost, you're a bit wiser as to how the people at Bookeen thinks. It's not something you have any use for, and allthough the problem have existed since 2008 there's no proper warning to try to get access to librarybooks.., oh and by the way, the book transferred now, but it still won't activate..!

Bravo Bookeen. Great job. No matter how this is twisted or turned, I'm seriously waisting time here (and you owe me a freakin' book..!)
Opusbruger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:47 PM   #62
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
There is a system folder on the opus. Definitively. I see it with linux.

Did you contact bookeen ? Rather than messing up, you should contact them. If there is a
safe way to do that, they can point out what that way is.
Note that the first post referred to the mobi firmware, rather than the ePub one.

As to the book you've bought, don't you have a backup ?

Just out out of curiosity, there is library in Denmark that lend e-books ?
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2011, 05:07 PM   #63
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opusbruger View Post
Hi
I've got the same problem with the .dat file, only I use the Opus Reader and it doesn't have a System folder (I don't see it in Explorer), so I've tried to spread it out all over the existing folders, but no luck. It still doesn't activate.
On the other hand I didn't delete any books, because I'm not sure what to delete.., does it say that I should delete all the preinstalled books that came with the Bookeen Opus..? (That would be wierd!)
I hope you people can help, because half of the idea of buying the Opus would be lost, if I can't use librarybooks on it
Opusbruger,
you've mixed two things that have nothing to do with each other.

The dat-file in this thread is for an old mobipocket-firmware from 2008.

Your opus most probably uses the epub-firmware. I guess, your library books will be epub- or pdf-files. To be able to read them you must activate your Opus at Adobe.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:13 AM   #64
Opusbruger

Hi Eowyn & Billi

Well, I sort of found the solution (did contact Bookeen, but haven't heard from them yet). On their supportpage they have two flavors of kernel-updates, one for epub and one for pdf. I tried the second one (for pdf's) and my Opus basically restored, and the books I thought gone were visible again.
I know they say both can't coexist, but this seems to be an issue way back from 2008, and I still can't read library books(?) You (or at least I) would expect a much clearer formulated description on both the difference in the two and how to be able to read those librarybooks.
I know DRM doesn't do anybody a lot of good, but this reminds me of all the trouble I had to face with my 386 computer (bought it without a manual), and I hoped never to run into anything like that again.

@ Eowyn
Sure we've got libraries that lend e-books http://elibrary.ebib.dk/Home/html/su...nstitutionID=7 and
http://212.112.169.72/library/default.asp?lib=151

@ Billi
I'll second that: Keep on reading in the free world. Young Niel, wasn't it

Old 01-14-2011, 03:42 AM   #65
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I know they say both can't coexist, but this seems to be an issue way back from 2008.
Opusbruger, it's really not a problem back from 2008. Back then there was only one firmware from Bookeen and this was for mobipocket files. And all the former posts in this thread are referring to library books in mobipocket format. But this has changed since, today libraries offer their books in pdf or epub format.

Quote:
and I still can't read library books(?) You (or at least I) would expect a much clearer formulated description on both the difference in the two and how to be able to read those librarybooks.
To be able to read library books you must install the epub-firmware. It can read epub- and pdf-files with adobe drm. And you must active the opus at Adobe. The mobipocket version is able to read pdf-files, too, but only unprotected.

Quote:
@ Billi
I'll second that: Keep on reading in the free world. Young Niel, wasn't it
Advert
Old 01-17-2011, 10:00 AM   #66
Opusbruger

@ Billi

Sorry, I should have listened to you in the first place
Activation with Adobe solved all my problems. I just wish Bookeen was as clear about it to begin with.
(Please don't say: I told you so..!)

Old 01-17-2011, 05:16 PM   #67
Billi
Wizard

Quote:
Please don't say: I told you so..!
No, I don't. I'm just glad that everything worked out fine for you. It is a great little device. And it's always nice to read that one's advice had been helpful and not been giving in vain.
Enjoy!