Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-12-2012, 07:20 AM   #1
Novas
Novas began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Kindle Touch add new keyboard

Hi all,
know anybody how to add new keyboard into Kindle Touch?
I foud that in /usr/share/keyboard/ are keyboards for more languages.
There are three files. Two of them (*.keymap) are normal text file and includes keymapping. I think that would be possible to create new one.
But third is some binary library :-(
Do you know somebody how to compile this file?
It is enough to create these three files to add new keyboard?
When I create new directory in /usr/share/keyboard/ and copy there renamed files then in keyboard settings new keyboard appears. But when I select this new one and try to type Kindle start to restart :-(
Could anyone help me with new keyboard?
Novas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:53 AM   #2
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've took a look at disassembed utils.so from different languages and noticed that code is mostly the same. Only some strings are changed, for example: in utils.so from Italian keyboard these strings are 'kb-it' and 'Italian'. First is a locale code of keyboard with prefix 'kb-' (or, maybe, prefix is unrelevant). It is used as ID of this keyboard. Second is a name of keyboard.

Maybe sometime I'll make .c source of appropriate utils.so (or maybe someone else will make it), but for now I've just changed these strings with sed. Fortunately, my locale code is 2 characters long and name of keyboard is 7 characters long, precisely as in Italian keyboard. It works.

It's enough to create new directory at /usr/share/keyboard and add these three files (*.keymap and utils.so) to add new keyboard.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2012, 08:29 AM   #3
Novas
Novas began at the beginning.

Hi eureka,
thank you. It looks that everything works fine. I change names in utils.so and use *.keymap files and it works fine. In the past I have wrong *.keymap file with some mistakes and it brings restrat of Kindle when I try to use this keyboard.
Novas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch