Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 03-31-2011, 10:25 PM   #1
deb27
Enthusiast
deb27 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Question Using Calibre and Kindle For PC

I've noticed that many of my purchased amazon.com books in Calibre won't open with Kindle for PC. When I double click them, Kindle for PC opens but I get an error that says "The book could not be opened. Please remove the book from your device and redownload it"

The process I normally use for my Kindle and Calibre is as follows...maybe I should do it differently?

1. Buy the book from amazon on my PC
2. Turn on the wireless on the kindle and let the new book download
3. Plug the USB cable into the Kindle and connect it to my PC
4. Use the Add Books in Calibre option to grab the book from the Kindle into Calibre
5. download the metadata and covers for the book into calibre
6. Edit the tags and/or other standard meta data if i don't like what was downloaded.

That's it. I don't resend the book to the Kindle.
So, is there something about downloading the metadata that's causing the book to "change" in Calibre so that Kindle for PC doesn't recognize it?

Should I be doing something differently?
Thanks
deb27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:37 PM   #2
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb27 View Post
I've noticed that many of my purchased amazon.com books in Calibre won't open with Kindle for PC. When I double click them, Kindle for PC opens but I get an error that says "The book could not be opened. Please remove the book from your device and redownload it"

The process I normally use for my Kindle and Calibre is as follows...maybe I should do it differently?

1. Buy the book from amazon on my PC
2. Turn on the wireless on the kindle and let the new book download
3. Plug the USB cable into the Kindle and connect it to my PC
4. Use the Add Books in Calibre option to grab the book from the Kindle into Calibre
5. download the metadata and covers for the book into calibre
6. Edit the tags and/or other standard meta data if i don't like what was downloaded.

That's it. I don't resend the book to the Kindle.
So, is there something about downloading the metadata that's causing the book to "change" in Calibre so that Kindle for PC doesn't recognize it?

Should I be doing something differently?
Thanks
Welcome to calibre and Kindles, deb.

DRM books downloaded to one device (your Kindle) or Kindle for __ Application are locked to the device or ap they are downloaded to. They will not work on any other device or application as long as the DRM lock is in place.

You have to download a copy to the device or application on which you want to read it.

If you want to read in K4PC, you need to download it from K4PC, or have it sent to there from within the "Manage your Kindle" page. Those books will open ok in K4PC even after you import them into calibre.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2011, 10:50 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
As Piper_ says, the majority of Kindle ebooks have DRM and in particular are encrypted to lock each file to a particular Kindle device or a single instance of a Kindle app.

If you want to use Calibre's ebook viewer (K4PC or whatever) for Kindle ebooks from a K2 you will need to strip the DRM. This is very likely legal in the US for personal use only. There are 3rd party plugins to Calibre that will strip the DRM from ebooks as they are imported (via Add Books). See Apprentice Alf's Blog for more info on DRM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
k4pc kindle