Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 02-06-2011, 10:08 AM   #1
Tulapi
Connoisseur
Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Pocketbook pro 602, Nook Simple Touch, Inkbook Classic 2, T63 JDRead
FBreader : a different way of displaying images ?

Hi,

I noticed that FBreader doesn't seem to display images the same way as the main image viewer.
I have attached two photographs of the same image (sorry, the quality is not good) :
- displayed by the image viewer
- displayed by FBreader (I have put the image in a html file)

As you can see, the difference is quite appreciable. The dithering seems very different.

Do you any way to force FBreader to use the default image viewer ?

thank you,
Tulapi.
(thanks to the many great people in this forum)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_default.JPG
Views:	464
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	66182   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_fbreader.JPG
Views:	434
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	66183   Click image for larger version

Name:	zoom_default.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	66251   Click image for larger version

Name:	zoom_fbreader.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	66252  

Last edited by Tulapi; 02-06-2011 at 06:32 PM. Reason: add zoomed images
Tulapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:12 AM   #2
Roos
Groupie
Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Scribe, Phone
I don't know a answer for you, i myself would be happy if i could only get FBreader to display the cover of the book, and the text in the right formatting
But after looking at the last 2 images i understand your pain, ouch, the last one looks like its build of lego blocks
Roos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2011, 06:06 AM   #3
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roos View Post
I don't know a answer for you, i myself would be happy if i could only get FBreader to display the cover of the book, and the text in the right formatting
But after looking at the last 2 images i understand your pain, ouch, the last one looks like its build of lego blocks
Yes, fbreader renders the images in 8 shades instead of 16. Maybe there is a way to chnge that but I'm not aware of a possibility (then again, i'm not a technician or a proggie) Of course, illustrations tend to be smaller and thus tend to look smoother.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:38 AM   #4
Tulapi
Connoisseur
Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Question

The difference seems to be not only in the number of shades of grey, but also in the dithering. In FBreader it seems to be different and very strong. Look at the vertical/horizontal patterns in the fbreader image.

But there is a thing I don't understand :
The default image viewer is not implemented in the main reading application. So what is the use of this image viewer ? I don't think that many people bought a Pocketbook device to watch their family pictures in black and white. No ?

Anyway, thank you for your answer.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:14 AM   #5
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulapi View Post
The difference seems to be not only in the number of shades of grey, but also in the dithering. In FBreader it seems to be different and very strong. Look at the vertical/horizontal patterns in the fbreader image.

But there is a thing I don't understand :
The default image viewer is not implemented in the main reading application. So what is the use of this image viewer ? I don't think that many people bought a Pocketbook device to watch their family pictures in black and white. No ?

Anyway, thank you for your answer.
Well, I know that the image viewer is also used by some to read comics and the like. Apart from that, some seem to use their PB as a viewer for pictures, yes.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2011, 01:49 PM   #6
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
It's probably not dithering that's going on, but rescaling of the image. If the scaling algorithm is just taking the closest pixel from the source image and copying it to the scaled image (i.e. nearest-neighbour scaling), then you can get the kind of artifacts that you see. Area averaging produces better output, but is slower. Since some people here are working on improving fbreader for the pb devices, maybe someone can add a more accurate scaling method and merge it in with the good/fast rendering options offered in the menu.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:55 PM   #7
Tulapi
Connoisseur

Yes, rescaling seems to have an important effect. I tested different sizes of images. The pattern is always here, but it changes.
The pattern seems to be stronger with big images.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:16 PM   #8
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, rescaling seems to have an important effect. I tested different sizes of images. The pattern is always here, but it changes.
The pattern seems to be stronger with big images.
If the image is a scan from a publication, then maybe it would help if you despeckled it. Those often produce a moire effect when the image is rescaled using the nearest-neighbour algorithm.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:31 PM   #9
Tulapi
Connoisseur

It is not a scanned image. There was a pattern with every kind of image I have tested, not only the one I have attached.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:16 PM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
It is not a scanned image. There was a pattern with every kind of image I have tested, not only the one I have attached.
For the longest time, FBReader did no processing of images at all. It just centered them and displayed them "as is" - no dithering and no rescaling. I don't think the standard Desktop FBReader does dithering even today, but it does rescale images that are too big to fit on the screen. Have you tried images that are smaller than the available screen resolution?

I am not convinced that nearest neighbor dithering can produce artifacts this bad unless the original image was very small. So perhaps Pocketbook's FBREader is also magnifiying images.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:26 AM   #11
Tulapi
Connoisseur

With small images (300 px here), the pattern is still there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	smallimage_default.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	66313   Click image for larger version

Name:	smallimage_fbreader.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	66314  
Old 02-08-2011, 01:31 PM   #12
GrayNM
flat square cat
GrayNM can extract oil from cheeseGrayNM can extract oil from cheeseGrayNM can extract oil from cheeseGrayNM can extract oil from cheeseGrayNM can extract oil from cheeseGrayNM can extract oil from cheeseGrayNM can extract oil from cheeseGrayNM can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook 360
Tulapi
Yes, FBReader uses dithering.
The simple algorithm with fixed pattern, as you can see.

I suppose that was done because FBReader works in 2-bit color mode.
That's correct at least for PB301/360. I didn`t see FBReader sources from Pro series, but I think they remain the same.
The main reason behind using 4-color mode in FBreader is the speed. 8- or 16-color modes are much slower.

Image viewer uses best available mode so it doesn't needed to use so aggressive dithering. But there is no reason to use the same mode in the text reader.
GrayNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:16 PM   #13
rkomar
Wizard

Quote:
With small images (300 px here), the pattern is still there.
That looks like dithering rather than nearest-neighbour sampling effects. Sorry about the misdirection.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:38 PM   #14
Tulapi
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayNM View Post
That's correct at least for PB301/360. I didn`t see FBReader sources from Pro series, but I think they remain the same.
The main reason behind using 4-color mode in FBreader is the speed. 8- or 16-color modes are much slower.

Image viewer uses best available mode so it doesn't needed to use so aggressive dithering. But there is no reason to use the same mode in the text reader.
I guess it is a matter of taste : some people will prefer speed, some others like me will prefer more beautiful images. But...
When I open an epub (I have converted my previous html file with Calibre) with Adobe Viewer in my 602, it doesn't seem to be slower than fbreader when displaying an image. And Adobe Viewer seems to use more colors, maybe 8 or 16 : the image is clearly smoother and more beautiful.
(The problem with Adobe Viewer is that it can't open html files...)

So maybe it would be nice to have a option for a 16-colors mode in fbreader, as it may not impact too much the speed (at least for the 60x/90x series). Do you think it would be very difficult to implement ?
Old 02-08-2011, 10:05 PM   #15
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayNM View Post
Tulapi
Yes, FBReader uses dithering.
The simple algorithm with fixed pattern, as you can see.

The very idea that the best way to use a device with 4-bit (16 gray level) hardware is to dither 2 bits (4 gray levels) is strange. The iRex iLiad ran FBReader with 16 gray levels years ago. It did no dithering, and sometimes this was sub-optimal but it was never a terrible approach. It also took a long time to turn a page, but this should not be an issue with modern ebook reader hardware.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dithering, fbreader, image