Banned
loveangel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
good idea for me , now i use my nose lol
loveangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:06 AM   #17
judith009
Groupie
judith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveangel View Post
good idea for me , now i use my nose lol

They should've included this method as a "feature" in their advertisements. Especially on the newest generation kindle, since the buttons are so much easier to press with the nose.

Imagine that cute girl on the beach in their ads slapping the kindle against her face to turn the page! Lol!
judith009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2010, 10:44 AM   #18
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by judith009 View Post
Imagine that cute girl on the beach in their ads slapping the kindle against her face to turn the page! Lol!
Or monks proceeding down a street, whacking themselves with their K3's to turn the page to the next page of plainsong, chanting, "Bring out your dead!" Wait, I've seen this movie.

More seriously, considering the processor in the K3, I doubt anyone will be running speech recognition on it. All the "Wouldn't it be great if the K3 could..." threads miss a key point. Yes it would, if you were willing to pay three times the price to buy the equivalent of a small laptop's worth of hardware. For $139/$189, you get a computer more powerful than my first 80386-driven desktop, but not by a lot. It might have the power of an early Pentium. You may note that not a lot of high powered apps ran on those.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:49 AM   #19
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Voice annotation/memos at least. Voice navigation would be helpful, even if all it did was turn pages and select items from Home, start/stop TTS.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:38 PM   #20
judith009
Groupie
judith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3, Voyage
I kindly disagree with Jack. The K3 has the same speed processor and the same amount of RAM as the original iPhone and iPod Touch, yet those units can run speech recognition apps very effectively.

I wonder, though, how much battery power it would take to have a constant voice-recognition process running in the background...
judith009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2010, 01:10 PM   #21
jlmwrite
Zealot
jlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Samsung Tab S8.4, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
Yes. In case you missed it, Amazon tried to get colleges to use kindles for textbooks. But they got sued by some blind group and ended up dropping it. The software probably isn't ready yet, but they put the mic on it for when it will be...

I found this letter (quoted in part):
Hannah S. Ross, Esq.
Office of General Counsel
Princeton University
120 Alexander Road, Second Floor
Princeton, NJ 08540
Re: Letter of Resolution, D.J. No. 202-48-213 Princeton University

Dear Ms. Ross:

As you know, this matter began with complaints filed by the National Federation of the Blind (NFB) and the American Council of the Blind (ACB) with the Department of Justice, on behalf of the organizations and their members who are current and prospective college students, alleging that Princeton University has violated title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (“ADA”), 42 U.S.C. § 12182, and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, 29 U.S.C. 5 947(a), by using the Kindle DX, an innovative, hand-held electronic book reader that is not accessible to students with visual impairments, in a classroom setting. According to the complaints, Princeton University is offering a pilot program that began in the fall 2009 semester. The object of this pilot is to test the utility of the Kindle DX in a classroom setting.

Ummm, even at the risk of incurring the wrath of anyone who is vision-impaired, can anyone tell me how the Kindle is less accessible than a standard printed textbook?
jlmwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:44 PM   #22
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmwrite View Post

Ummm, even at the risk of incurring the wrath of anyone who is vision-impaired, can anyone tell me how the Kindle is less accessible than a standard printed textbook?
You would have to ask the ACB, I suppose, but they just want to make sure that new technology doesn't get established without the needs of vision-impaired people taken into consideration. It took years before PCs really took this requirement on in a serious way, and at every turn (GUIs, web browsers) technology ignored them at first. At last now we are starting to see companies like Apple build assistive technologies into version 1.

As for printed textbooks, there has been assistive technology for that for awhile. Sure, you could line an optical scanner/reader up on a Kindle just like it was a book (except books don't have menus to navigate...) but the point is that under the law, technology paid for by taxpayer dollars needs to fulfill some basic accessibility requirements, rather than putting up insurmountable barriers.

And yes, Kindle is powerful enough to handle simple voice recognition. It was being done on IBM PC-AT's years ago, and Kindle is at least 2 or 3 orders of magnitude faster, with more RAM.

Last edited by tomsem; 10-03-2010 at 10:47 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
microphone