Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-02-2007, 12:22 PM   #31
ns66
Connoisseur
ns66 doesn't litterns66 doesn't litter

Device: sony reader
btw kovi, i am talking about finding the book in ereader while on the road, not about how to organize books in computer
ns66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 01:15 PM   #32
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Are you ever on the road without access to a computer for any extended period of time?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 04:01 PM   #33
ns66
Connoisseur

oh yeah i travel alot and backpack
when i was backpacking in europe for 2 months, the book guides were too heavy i ended up ripping the related pages off to lighten the load, lol
Old 08-02-2007, 05:29 PM   #34
ns66
Connoisseur

anyone knows any tricks to reduce the "first open book" formating time?

i am using lrf, it still took way too long, don't know why
Old 08-02-2007, 05:35 PM   #35
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I'd suggest putting the books you are most interested in onto the reader and the others on that big card. Just leave the card out of the reader as long as you don't need its content. Then you're stuck waiting.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 09:50 PM   #36
melechmet
melechmet began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Is there some software (any platform), or combination of software, that would:

1. autoscan a directory
2. sort-index the files (ebooks and/or audio books) by file name
3. built up a database based on file name
4. and now the magic, use something like the MusicBrainz algorithmic pattern matcher system for music, perhaps tied to Amazon and/or Google text engines, and any known manga database, to scan and compare then append/correct the initial data entry in the database with additional information.

I have a large assortment of ebooks, documents and audiobooks that I've bought and that I've scanned over 15 years now, I was not always so careful naming these books, not to mention that my collection of manga is in the gig range for sure. This would be an immense help if such a project, even at alpha phase, existed... any pointers? any takers
melechmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 06:21 PM   #37
ns66
Connoisseur

ok guys, i got a good idea

in ereader, you can sort by title, author and date, the title/author are useful but sort by date is a total waste imho

now here is the great idea, ereader us file's last modified date as the date to sort, use java (or other util's out there), you can set your lrf files' last modified date to be anything, encode to your liking, the ereader will sort based on year, month, day, so essentially it gives you a 3 level hierachy sort!

so you can have 3 categories, encode year, month (only 12), day (31) to your preference, then sort by date.... files will be ordered as you wish

i tried it and it works great!!!

the only catch is, if you set the date older than today, the ereader will modifiy it to be today and void your effort, but i tried a NEWER date than today, for example year 2016, ereader will keep that date, haha

but don't get carried away, i tried year 2088 nothing showed up, what's the max i don't know, but i know 2008-2016 works

enjoy
Old 08-08-2007, 09:02 AM   #38
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ns66 View Post

in ereader, you can sort by title, author and date, the title/author are useful but sort by date is a total waste imho

CUT
enjoy
Actually, I find DATE extremely useful given the way I use my Reader.

Let me explain: I have 1-gig card in my Reader, with a total (Reader and Card) of close to 300 distinct Listings. By using DATE, I'm able to quickly find what I'm looking for, IF I've just uploaded it. Often, I'll want to begin reading the uploaded title, or else bookmark right then and there so that it will be distinct from all those other titles.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:19 AM   #39
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
here's your real answer

small sd cards are dirt cheap these days

get a bunch and put each type/catagory of book on each one

swap cards to change topic area
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:44 AM   #40
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleDuke View Post
here's your real answer

small sd cards are dirt cheap these days

get a bunch and put each type/catagory of book on each one

swap cards to change topic area
Good idea UncleDuke. I classify my books by author, a file for each. By subject would be a mess because half is in French. Your way I could get one card for each alphabet letter, smaller for 'Z' (4MB)and bigger for 'D'(128MB)
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:48 AM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ns66 View Post

If you are looking for say a recent book, then sorting by date can help. I don't think it's useless to be honest.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote