Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-06-2024, 01:12 PM   #1
SvenSND
SvenSND began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7 with Moon+ Reader, Windows 7 & 8 with Calibre
Converting a fixed layout LCP DRM protected ebook

Hi everyone,

I bought a fixed layout LCP DRM protected about a few months ago from an e-book online shop : https://ebook.chapitre.com/

Unfortunately, I was unable to read it on the programs I use (Calibre on Windows and Moon+ Reader Pro on Android). The file is perfectly fine with Thorium reader with my LCP key.

I successfully unprotected the epub using Calibre with this method https://www.epubor.com/remove-readium-lcp-drm.html .

But the unprotected ebook's layout seems completely messed up : nothing is aligned, and I can only see a part of the content (as if everything was zoomed in a lot). Scrolling out doesn't solve the problem.

By editing the ebook in Calibre I see a defined
Quote:
content="width=1595, height=1983"
Do you have any idea what I can do to convert it properly into an epub or a pdf?

Thank you. Have a great evening
SvenSND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 08:30 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Converting a fixed layout ebook will never get you a good result. Best read it in the original app.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2024, 03:35 AM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
It is a proper ePub3 ebook. However, as you already know, one that is fixed layout. calibre does not deal well with fixed layout ePubs. As for Moon+ reader on Android? I've never been impressed with it as a reader for simple reflowable ePubs.

If you look at the text files (xhtml or html), you will see that everything is set to a fixed location often down to the letter level. I'd suggest you read the FLO ePub on Thorium or iBooks or a Kobo eInk ereader. For the Kobo ereader, you will need to change the filename extension to .kepub.epub (quick and dirty but limits highlighting and annotation) or run the ebook through an epub to kepub converter to trigger use of the WebKit based ePub3 renderer.

Last edited by DNSB; 01-07-2024 at 03:39 AM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 06:09 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I avoid buying fixed layout, but I appreciate textbooks or similar might be using it.

Does FXL epub3 export as docx, or at least RTF, well enough on Calibre as that would allow editing and creation of a 'proper' reflowable epub?

I've none to test. At least unlike some (many?) PDFs all the text and images are in there without using OCR, or fixing an unproofed OCR layer.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 05:55 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A while back I tried converting a FLO ePub3 and no calibre conversions worked well. I finally extracted the text and went from there.
Advert
Old 01-08-2024, 01:54 PM   #6
SvenSND

Hi everyone, and thank you for all your answers

@Sirtel : I'm sorry to read this, but if there's no other solution, I will have to do so

@DNSB : yes, the book is referred to as an epub 3 with fixed layout. If I edit the e-book with Calibre and look at the xhtml files, they look pretty fine (if I zoom out by scrolling with my mouse). I didn't know such e-book format would be a problem

What apps would you recommend the most for Windows and Android? I don't mind changing if this provides new possibilities.

The best option would be to download a Kobo ereader and convert my epub to kepub format? I've seen that Calibre could do it. Is there a better option?

@Quoth : I'm actually trying to export as a docx document just to see the outcome
Old 01-08-2024, 03:45 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist

For Android, the Kobo app will work but I've never tried sending it a sideloaded ebook but have read posts saying it is possible.

For Windows, I've been using Thorium which works quite well or ADE 4.5 which works for most of the FLO ePub3 ebooks I've tried.

The code block below shows how complex looking a FLO ePub 3's can look with styles applied to every individual character.

Code:
  <div class="liw c7 cE cF" style="top:320px;z-index:286">
    <span class="w f1" style="width:87px"><span class="c10 c" style="width:32px"> T</span><span class="c11"><span class="c c12">H</span><span class="c cD">E </span></span></span><span class="w f1" style="width:159px"><span class="c10 c c13">M</span><span class="c11"><span class="c c14">A</span><span class="c c15">G</span><span class="c c16">I</span><span class="c c14">C</span><span class="c c15">A</span><span class="c cD">L </span></span></span><span class="w f1" style="width:144px"><span class="c10 c cC">W</span><span class="c11"><span class="c c15">O</span><span class="c c14">R</span><span class="c c14">L</span><span class="c cD">D </span></span></span><span class="w c17 f1 c11" style="width:54px"><span class="c c15">O</span><span class="c cD">F </span></span><span class="w f1" style="width:123px"><span class="c10 c c18">H</span><span class="c11"><span class="c c19">A</span><span class="c c1A">R</span><span class="c c1B">R</span><span class="c cD">Y </span></span></span><span class="w" style="width:349px"><span class="f1"><span class="c10 c c12">P</span><span class="c11"><span class="c c15">O</span><span class="c c15">T</span><span class="c c19">T</span><span class="c c1C">E</span><span class="c c1D">R </span></span><span class="c1E"><span class="c c16">.</span><span class="c c16">.</span><span class="c c1F">.</span><span class="c c1F">.</span><span class="c c1F">.</span><span class="c c1F">.</span><span class="c c1F">.</span><span class="c c1F">.</span><span class="c c1F">.</span><span class="c c1F">.</span><span class="c c16">.</span><span class="c c1F">.</span><span class="c c1F">.</span><span class="c c1F">.</span><span class="c c1F">.</span><span class="c c1F">.</span><span class="c c1F">.</span><span class="c c1F">.</span><span class="c cD">. </span></span></span><span class="c20"> </span></span><span class="w c19 c21 f1 c10">6</span>
  </div>
Old 01-08-2024, 03:54 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Converting a fixed layout ebook will never get you a good result. Best read it in the original app.
↑ ↑ ↑ ✔

@SvenSND - assuming it's a Fixed Layout EPUB 3.x format, try using the Thorium e-book reader, it's free and available for Windows, MacOS and Linux ==>> https://www.edrlab.org/software/thorium-reader/

Added: I #admintag books that have a fixed format epubs with 'fixed-epub'; if #admintag is set to 'fixed-epub' I attach a Thorium icon to the book. When I see that icon, I know I should open the epub in Thorium via calibre's Open With feature in View specific format.

BR
Attached Images

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-08-2024 at 08:43 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 05:00 AM   #9
SvenSND

Hi, and thank you again for all your answers

@DNSB : what do you mean by sideloaded? (I'm sorry, but English isn't my native language). If it is not possible to convert, I'll use the DRMed file with Thorium on Windows. I've seen a Readium toolkit exists for Android in a repository. Is there a recommended app (I've read about Lea reader)? Although, it's sad to buy an e-book and not being able to use it as I want

@BetterRed : I successfully read it with Thorium. I'd like to read it on Android too and if possible sync between the two devices . I don't understand the use of the #admintag?
Old 01-09-2024, 06:11 AM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenSND View Post
@BetterRed : I successfully read it with Thorium. I'd like to read it on Android too and if possible sync between the two devices . I don't understand the use of the #admintag?
#admintags is one of my custom columns, it's the same as tags; however I reserve tags for content descriptors.

I have used Gitden on Android for fixed layout and flowable epubs, but that was a while ago.

Hopefully someone can answer your sync question. Since there are no standards (de jure or otherwise), if you want to sync reading position, highlights, annotations etc between devices it's probably going to be an app specific solution Ψ³

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 10:25 AM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Sideloaded is content not loaded direct from a linked vendor. Usually via USB, but SD card or even WiFi or Cellular is possible.

Whispernet delivery (Cell/mobile or WiFi) from Amazon to a Kindle (or a Kindle App on iOS, Mac, PC, Android) is "not sideloading". Loading a bought Amazon file, downloaded to USB and copied as is with DRM to Kindle is almost sideloading. Putting a non-Amazon file, or an Amazon one you removed the DRM from, on a Kindle by any means is essentially sideloading.

So loading/copying a file somehow to a Google PlayBooks, Kindle app, or Kobo App, on Android rather than direct Cell/mobile or WiFi connection to Playstore, Amazon or Kobo stores is thus sideloading.

It's mostly synonymous with copying by USB or SD Card.

Last edited by Quoth; 01-09-2024 at 10:28 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 07:05 PM   #12
SvenSND

Thanks again for all your advices

@BetterRed : thank you for your explanation. If I can't sync or remember read position, it won't be an issue. Being able to read the book with an app would already be nice

@Quoth : I didn't know you can directly load a book from a store on your device. Thank you for taking time to explain me all these notions
Old 01-09-2024, 07:13 PM   #13
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenSND View Post
@Quoth : I didn't know you can directly load a book from a store on your device.
This is usually done on a dedicated reading device, not on a computer or a phone, unless you use the store app on those.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 01:25 PM   #14
SvenSND

Thank you @Sirtel for this information.

I tried to use a French service called Vivlio to read and sync my LPL e-books. The Windows app doesn't sync with the web app and the web app refuses to load the books .

I contacted the customer service. If there are so many problems, I'll just read the books on my computer with Thorium.