Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-13-2015, 03:25 AM   #1
Max404
Max404 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Exclamation 2014 basic "Kindle Touch" for sideloaded e-books?

Hi,

I was just wondering if the 2014 basic "Kindle Touch" is a good choice for me if I just want to use it for sideloaded e-books converted with Calibre? I have no interest in the eco-system so I will not buy anytning from Amazon, I will never use the Wi-Fi option.

Can I use the e-reader without an Amazon account/without the need to activate the device?

Is it Mac (OS X) compatible?

Thanks,
Max404
Max404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 02:48 PM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max404 View Post
Hi,

I was just wondering if the 2014 basic "Kindle Touch" is a good choice for me if I just want to use it for sideloaded e-books converted with Calibre? I have no interest in the eco-system so I will not buy anytning from Amazon, I will never use the Wi-Fi option.

Can I use the e-reader without an Amazon account/without the need to activate the device?

Is it Mac (OS X) compatible?

Thanks,
Max404
Since no one else has answered, I'll show off my ignorance. I don't know specifically about this Kindle model. The old Touch would have done this, though you would have lost some of the features, but I think the new Kindle Basic might require activation to work. (Hopefully I'm wrong.)

I'm guessing you wouldn't even want to set up an account just to activate? -- which would probably be the easiest way to go about it.

As far as working with OS X, I think it should just see the Kindle as mass storage. So that part should be good.

Obviously you need to hear from someone who knows more about this.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2015, 06:43 PM   #3
burnafterreading
Groupie
burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Arc7HD/10HD, smartphones
amazon is good for more than just ebooks, so i'd just grab an amazon account and get on with things.

but if you're going to only ever sideload, is there much benefit to the new Kindle over the older models which can be bought used (and hacked)?
burnafterreading is offline   Reply With Quote