Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-11-2014, 09:24 AM   #16
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demingy View Post
I've heard a few people say they were able to sideload the other bookstore apps (sorry, I don't remember which offhand) but I haven't tried it. It was a while ago, before the recent FireOS update, so I'm not sure if that can still be done.
Yup. It still works.
You can even install alternate app stores like 1Mobile straight from the Silk browser. For adobe and Nook epub compatibility, the free versions of Aldiko and Bluefire work fine.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:41 AM   #17
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Good point! Though, I also had a 7" 800x600 tablet, and while I could read on it, it wasn't comfortable from the start (it really felt pixelated). I replaced it with a 1280x800 and never had any problems with it. In fact, my current reader is an 8" 1280x800 device (Asus Vivotab Note 8) and I still like it a lot... (I don't see the individual pixes at all, and that's the important bit).

To the OP: there is a forum called "Which one should I buy?" where your question might fit better.
I considered posting over there, but I already know what I want to buy, so it doesn't seem to fit. I don't need a tablet vs e-ink discussion -- I just wondered if the resolution is reasonable for text. I know what resolution I want when it comes to photos and images, but I don't know what is suitable for text since I've always bought dedicated devices before now.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2014, 12:03 PM   #18
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I started reading full-time on a tablet with the original Kindle HD and had no issues with the resolution. I've since switched to the Nexus 7 (2nd gen) and still have no issues. I'm told the N7 has a higher resolution, but I've never bothered to check the actual specs. I think I've reached the point where MORE resolution is wasted on my eyes. I don't really notice a difference any more.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 12:39 PM   #19
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Honestly, I'm using a couple of generic brand 7 inch tablets, with 1024x600 resolution, and they work fine for reading comics (although I prefer my generic brand 10.1 inch tablet for a nicer page image). I don't like reading novels or other text-based items -- for that I have real ereaders.

For kids I think that battery life, or lack of it, is likely to be a bigger concern.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, I think the biggest concern is the distraction factor; email, games, web browsing, video, music, Facebook, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
Also weight. E-ink readers are still lighter than tablets though the gap is closing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I would strongly consider the Fire HD 6" tablet. It has a very high resolution, and is very portable. And the price is cheap!

I absolutely LOVE reading on it.

All non-issues for my case. I have the device picked out and I know it will run the apps I want. As long as it is smaller and lighter than my (non-Retina) iPad and the text on it looks good, it will suit my needs.

My kids already have 7" Kindle Fire HDs and the two oldest have e-ink Kindles as well. (Said my youngest last week, "When do I get *my* Kindle that *only* does books?")

They all have books sideloaded onto their tablets, which I have caught them reading now and then (not often).

Anyway, this tablet is for me. I thought it would be a nice bonus justification to be able to share it with the kids and let them read books that I bought for them. I have been wanting one, but reluctant to get one when I have so many reading devices already. However, not being able to download the NOOK app to the Fires kind of got me to consider it more seriously, especially with this being the season of Good Electronic Deals.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:49 PM   #20
sakura-panda
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I've never had a problem reading on my old 2nd-gen iPad, which is bigger and lower resolution (768x1024) than most modern tablets.

I don't do it often, preferring eink ereaders, but when I have the resolution hasn't been an issue.
I have a 1st Gen iPad and no issues reading on it. I forgot the resolution is comparable. But I read reviews on "inexpensive" 7" tablets that say they have fuzzy text. *What* text was fuzzy, they never say -- text in a game, image in an email, captions on a video or text from a dedicated ebook reader? Who knows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I started reading full-time on a tablet with the original Kindle HD and had no issues with the resolution. I've since switched to the Nexus 7 (2nd gen) and still have no issues. I'm told the N7 has a higher resolution, but I've never bothered to check the actual specs. I think I've reached the point where MORE resolution is wasted on my eyes. I don't really notice a difference any more.
I expect ebook reader apps probably optimize their text for any resolution screen, but it is one of those things that I figured people here have real world experience and it was worth asking. Based on the responses I'm getting, it seems to be a non-issue.

Thanks!

Last edited by sakura-panda; 12-11-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Advert
Old 12-11-2014, 01:24 PM   #21
jandrew
Zealot
jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: aura hd
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
But I read reviews on "inexpensive" 7" tablets that say they have fuzzy text. *What* text was fuzzy, they never say -- text in a game, image in an email, captions on a video or text from a dedicated ebook reader? Who knows?
There are plenty of low resolution 7" tablets out there, with resolutions of 800x480 (133ppi), and these may well have been the subject of the reviews you mention.

A 7" 1280x800 (216ppi) screen is capable of providing good clean text rendering and is considered "retina" class at or over 16 inches viewing distance (which is about the closest viewing distance I ever read at).

I use a 1280x800 7" tablet daily and there is nothing at all blurry or fuzzy about the text rendering (though I do prefer reading on my eink device).
jandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 02:23 PM   #22
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I've always been in the "must have e-ink" crowd, but I recently got a 6" Kindle Fire because Amazon had them cheap on Black Friday, and the text is good and I'm not having any problem reading on it. I got it so I can read Kindle content, B&N content, and from Scribd all on one device. Tablets are the place for flexibility. I do like e-ink but so far this is fine. It is a bit heavier than my e-ink readers, but I haven't had any problems due to that, and of course the battery doesn't last as long.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:13 PM   #23
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I would strongly consider the Fire HD 6" tablet. It has a very high resolution, and is very portable. And the price is cheap!

I absolutely LOVE reading on it.
I second this suggestion! Text and graphics look great on the Fire HD 6.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 02:07 AM   #24
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
I considered posting over there, but I already know what I want to buy, so it doesn't seem to fit. I don't need a tablet vs e-ink discussion -- I just wondered if the resolution is reasonable for text. I know what resolution I want when it comes to photos and images, but I don't know what is suitable for text since I've always bought dedicated devices before now.
In that case, I personally would not go below 1280x800. Higher would be nice (duh!) but only if the rest of the specs and the price are correct too. And I'd prefer to pay a bit more if it bought me a bit more freedom from a walled garden (does the Fire have the ability to use the Google Play store, for instance?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
I've been using a Dell Venue 8 Pro as my eReader for a while now. It's an 8.1" Win8.1 tablet with a 1280x800 screen resolution which works very well for reading, though I'm beginning to have several age related vision difficulties and use a bit larger text than what would be found in the typical paperback book.

I still haven't found a reading app that I am completely comfortable with. I run calibre with a large library on my DV8p and all DRM has been removed from the books so format conversion is easy. I'm currently using Book Bazaar Reader, a Modern (nee Metro) app. It functions well, but ignores a lot of a book's formatting. Calibre's ebook-viewer and the Kindle desktop version also work well but suffer noticably in a touch only environment. TouchMousePointer helps a great deal, but doesn't solve all of the handling issues.
I've tried about a dozen Windows applications and Modern apps and discarded them all. And Calibre ebook-viewer works nicely with a touch only interface as well (though, I'm cheating because my wacom pen has a right-mouse-button button..). But even if it didn't, it's the only reader that leaves my layout as I have specified...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:44 AM   #25
sakura-panda
Guru

Quote:
In that case, I personally would not go below 1280x800. Higher would be nice (duh!) but only if the rest of the specs and the price are correct too. And I'd prefer to pay a bit more if it bought me a bit more freedom from a walled garden (does the Fire have the ability to use the Google Play store, for instance?)
Thanks.

I do not know if the Fire can use the Google Play store. I don't doubt there is a way to do it, if I really wanted to apply myself to it. I manage three Kindle Fires, so any hoops I jump through to make one work have to be done in triplicate and I have neither the desire nor inclination to make the effort even once. I would rather buy a new device that meets my needs right out of the box, especially if it is less than $100.

I keep forgetting this is a real Windows device and can (theoretically) run desktop programs as well as mobile apps. I didn't consider that I will be able to run Calibre right on it and maybe use it for my active library instead of just an archive.

I don't like buying things for myself this close to Christmas, but it's getting really hard to sit on this one the more I talk to you all. I shouldn't have started this thread!
Old 12-12-2014, 03:04 PM   #26
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
...And Calibre ebook-viewer works nicely with a touch only interface as well (though, I'm cheating because my wacom pen has a right-mouse-button button..). ...
No maybe about it, using an active pen is "cheating", that is it is not using the touch interface.

Calibre's ebook-viewer works adequately in a pure touch environment with some exceptions. Primarily, it uses standard basic text attributes (size and spacing) in its menus which leaves the individual entries too close together for reliable touch selection. At least it now has "right-click" (touch = "press and hold") menus everywhere it also has the skinny little down arrow extensions to the buttons. Until this was "fixed" a few versions back (v2.08??) accessing the recently opened book list was impossible in a pure touch environment. If it would now remember all display attributes from session to session and auto-reopen the last book to the last read position it might return to being my reader of choice.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 03:15 PM   #27
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
Calibre's ebook-viewer works adequately in a pure touch environment with some exceptions. Primarily, it uses standard basic text attributes (size and spacing) in its menus which leaves the individual entries too close together for reliable touch selection. At least it now has "right-click" (touch = "press and hold") menus everywhere it also has the skinny little down arrow extensions to the buttons. Until this was "fixed" a few versions back (v2.08??) accessing the recently opened book list was impossible in a pure touch environment. If it would now remember all display attributes from session to session and auto-reopen the last book to the last read position it might return to being my reader of choice.
Have you reported these bugs?

There are settings in the viewer
General ==> Miscellaneous options
Remember last used window size and layout
Remember the current page when quitting
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 01:15 PM   #28
burnafterreading
Groupie
burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Arc7HD/10HD, smartphones
TL,DR (ok, i read SOME, but not all)

i use a Kobo Arc7HD and Arc10HD primarily for reading e-books (Kobo's store as well as Google Play Books). i used to have an iPad mini (1st gen). the pixel density of the Arcs is around 300dpi, which is very nice and tight and crisp. it's pretty well as crisp as text on paper (well, laser printing is typically 600dpi but by 300dpi i think we're at the point of diminishing returns). my Kobo Glo is less dense but it's only black-n-white so in a way it's "comparable".

the iPad mini wasn't that great for reading - the text was always fuzzy, which kind of makes sense since i think it only hits around 160dpi. the shape (aspect ratio) of the screen was nicer, but it's really not as big of a deal as the lack of crispness.

reading on the Arcs is great. i use the 10HD at home, and the 7HD when i leave the house (it's more portable). reading in reverse-mode (white text on black background) is actually very easy on the eyes and seems to be easier on the battery too.

oh, i use the 10HD in landscape mode so that i get 2-pages-per-screen, but the 7HD is in portrait. always. rotation is locked. love it.

you can either go into airplane mode, or reading mode, or just configure your email/facebook/etc to NOT give you notifications. it's a non-issue.
burnafterreading is offline   Reply With Quote