Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 04-19-2012, 12:32 AM   #1
GoldThreader
Zealot
GoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Glo
Looking for freeware to batch resize images.

I want my images on my E-reader to be re-sized to my e-readers resolution but I need the program to recognize and split double page images as well i.e comics ect.
GoldThreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:38 AM   #2
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
Scan Tailor if you want to split them. Maybe you can try outputting a lower DPI than 600... (with a DPI calculator, perhaps?). If you wana use it on comic books, set it to grayscale. In colour they would just take up more space - especially if you're reading it on the current E-Ink technology (which is monochrome).

If lowering the DPI doesn't work, Irfanview can also batch resize.

Last edited by DSpider; 04-23-2012 at 06:15 PM.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2012, 05:15 AM   #3
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldThreader View Post
I want my images on my E-reader to be re-sized to my e-readers resolution but I need the program to recognize and split double page images as well i.e comics ect.
imagemagick
Imagemagick is the most powerfull commandline image manipulation program.
Runs on all platforms: Windows, Linux, BSD, mac, ...
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:20 PM   #4
GoldThreader
Zealot
GoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpider View Post
Scan Tailor if you want to split them. Maybe you can try outputting a lower DPI than 600... (with a DPI calculator, perhaps?). If you wana use it on comic books, set it to grayscale. In colour they would just take up more space.

If lowering the DPI doesn't work, Irfanview can also batch resize.
This program batch resizes images but I couldn't figure out how to get it to split double pages while doing that. I am not sure what you mean by DPI either. I was hoping for something that has a setting like Calibre where it it would split them automatically if the file is too large. I believe the default for Calibre to do so is 260KB.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
GoldThreader
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
imagemagick
Imagemagick is the most powerfull commandline image manipulation program.
Runs on all platforms: Windows, Linux, BSD, mac, ...
I couldn't figure this one out at all it only lets me pick from a single image no options or anything either. Maybe I'm missing something but seems like this can only edit single images.
Advert
Old 04-22-2012, 04:38 PM   #6
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
This program batch resizes images but I couldn't figure out how to get it to split double pages while doing that. I am not sure what you mean by DPI either.
I said that Scan Tailor can split them. The DPI settings ("Output Resolution") is the final step from Scan Tailor. If using a DPI calculator (link in my previous post) doesn't get you the right resolution for your device, Irfanview can also resize.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:42 PM   #7
atordo
Connoisseur
atordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I couldn't figure this one out at all it only lets me pick from a single image no options or anything either. Maybe I'm missing something but seems like this can only edit single images.
I'm afraid that for batch manipulation you must use the command line. Have a look at http://www.imagemagick.org/script/convert.php
atordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:10 PM   #8
GoldThreader
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpider View Post
I said that Scan Tailor can split them. The DPI settings ("Output Resolution") is the final step from Scan Tailor. If using a DPI calculator (link in my previous post) doesn't get you the right resolution for your device, Irfanview can also resize.
This program is really useful my only question would be how do I get it to split the pages exactly in half? it keeps putting the split line in odd places.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:43 AM   #9
DSpider
Evangelist

It doesn't matter if the divider is exactly in the middle or 50 pixels to the right, as long as it doesn't overlap any part of the text. The pages will receive special treatment later on when you choose the content and set up margins.

Just go through a book, will you? See if you like the result. For comic books you should choose "Color / Grayscale" at the final step.

Last edited by DSpider; 04-23-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:28 PM   #10
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Imagemagick is like a programming language. You start a terminal on Linux or Command Line on Windows and you start typing commands, like this
Code:
convert escher01.png -quantize GRAY +dither -colors 16 -rotate "-90>" escher01.bmp
For details for this example see post https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...753#post818753
For description of the convert command see http://www.imagemagick.org/script/convert.php

I know it looks crazy, but convert command from Imagemagick package has *huge* number of options. It is like Photoshop you run in "blind" mode.
When you have tried an example and you know exactly what you want to do, you take a list of images and use a good text editor to make a program. Either a shell program convert_my_pictures.sh in Unix/Linux or a batch program convert_my_pictures.bat in Windows. You can then let it run and convert thousands of pictures.

So, in Windows you have lots of images, like
flower.jpg
animal.jpg
car.jpg
kid.jpg
and so on. So you make a list of images, by entering a directory with pictures and running command
Code:
dir /B > convert_my_pictures.bat
Then you use a powerful text editor to convert a list of file names to something like:
Code:
convert flower.jpg -quantize GRAY +dither -colors 16 -rotate "-90>" flower.bmp
convert animal.jpg -quantize GRAY +dither -colors 16 -rotate "-90>" animal.bmp
convert car.jpg -quantize GRAY +dither -colors 16 -rotate "-90>" car.bmp
convert kid.jpg -quantize GRAY +dither -colors 16 -rotate "-90>" car.bmp
Then you run the program.

In Unix/Linux/OSX you might write something like:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
for f in *.jpg
do
        convert $f -quantize GRAY +dither -colors 16 -rotate "-90>" $f.bmp
done
Imagemagick is THE most powerful program for converting images but it doesn't have an user interface you could click on.

If you want something with a nice clicking interface, try this: http://www.xnconvert.com/
xnconvert is a brother of xnview program - a very powerful viewer with lots of options.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:58 PM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
This program batch resizes images but I couldn't figure out how to get it to split double pages while doing that. I am not sure what you mean by DPI either. I was hoping for something that has a setting like Calibre where it it would split them automatically if the file is too large. I believe the default for Calibre to do so is 260KB.
I believe Calibre can only split text data in files, not images. I really like IrfanView of resizing or manipulate a whole batch of images at once, much better and easier than anything else I have found. But scan tailor is better at splitting images into multiple pieces. Irfanview does not try an analyze the image itself.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote