Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-14-2011, 06:23 AM   #1
oilizer
oilizer began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Question html to epub conversion with extra CSS

Hi, I just updated calibre after almost year of not doing so (used to be 7. something). I've been using calibre to convert my Korean html books into epub for Nook Color since it cannot read normal Korean epub books.

I've been using a code for "extra CSS section" (provided below) as provided by someone else (since I have no clue what I'm doing) and it worked fine so far. But when I updated my Calibre, every time I "add books" it converts them into ZIP files and even if I use the code to convert, I get "?"s instead of letters. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

When converting the book, under "Look & Feel" tab, select "UTF-8" under "Input Character Encoding".

Then, on the same tab, in Extra CSS box, copy and paste the following code:

@font-face {

font-family: "DroidFont", serif, sans-serif;

font-weight: normal;

font-style: normal;

src: url('res:///system/fonts/DroidSansFallback.ttf');

}

@font-face {

font-weight: bold;

font-style: normal;

}

@font-face {

font-weight: normal;

font-style: italic;

}

@font-face {

font-weight: bold;

font-style: italic;

}

body {

margin-right: 8pt;

font-family: 'DroidFont', serif;

}
oilizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:03 AM   #2
oilizer

It turns out I had to first convert to txt and then convert to epub... Confusing little thing... It sucks wanting so much without knowing anything at all... T_T
Advert
Old 10-17-2011, 10:48 PM   #3
Charliebee
Charliebee began at the beginning.

Device: chinese 7" android
help me out here, what do you mean you had to convert it to text first? Does that mean you had to open the html page in your browser and copy the text and save as a text file before converting to epub?
CB
Charliebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:38 AM   #4
oilizer

Yeah. Basically. Be sure to save the txt file as UTF-8. So in my case, I had a book in .txt file but it was in illegible jumble when I opened it. So I had to open the txt file with MS Word and it prompted me to use some other language than unicode (or something similar). That made the text to be legible but because tMS Word didn't give me option to save as UTF-8 txt file, I had to copy the text from MS Word to notepad and save with the UFT-8 option.

If you are converting from html, just copy the text to notepad and then save with UFT-8 option.

I doubt this is the most convenient method ther is but it's the only one I know so... and be sure to change the reading setting as" publisher default" on your nook or the text will show up as a bunch of question marks. When I have time, I'll post the whole instruction so I can give proper credit to the awesome person who came up with the solution.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:51 AM   #5
Charliebee
Charliebee began at the beginning.

Device: chinese 7" android
it is such a pain to ensure text files are saved as utf-8. There needs to be an option (global) somewhere that can be set so everything gets saved in the format you specify. Of course M$FT won't figure that one out for centuries to come....

cb
Charliebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert