Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-01-2010, 01:09 PM   #1
Greggywocky
Greggywocky began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
New user question re scheduling a news download

Hi

Whatever time I set this for (eg: Every day at 17.00), nothing happens. Obviously I have Calibre running at the time. It works when I click Download Now, however.

Does anyone have any idea why it's not downloading automatically?

Thanks
Greggywocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:59 PM   #2
Greggywocky

I have just reinstalled and still have the problem. Is this a known issue then?

Thanks!
Advert
Old 11-01-2010, 02:54 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Did you save the schedule (i.e. does the scheduled news source show up in the scheduled category in green on the left of the fetch news dialog?)
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:17 PM   #4
Greggywocky

Hi Kovid

Yes, as far as I can tell everything seems normal. It's on the left, in the green 'Scheduled' category at the top of the list. When I select it, over on the right, 'Schedule for download' is ticked, and I've set it for the top option 'Every day at 06.00'. The lower option is unselected, greyed out, and says 7.0 days.

If I click Download Now, it works, so it isn't a connection issue. It failed to work at 06.00 this morning, and I have adjusted times to test it, but nothing happens at all. Running version 0.7.26. I uninstalled and reinstalled it, but the problem persists.

As I say, I can click Download Now to start it, so it's hardly a massive problem I suppose!

Thanks
Old 11-01-2010, 03:22 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm you may be able to get more debug output if you run calibre from a command prompt as

calibre-debug -g

then schedule the download for 5 minutes from now and wait and see if any error messages are printed out in 5 minutes in the command prompt.
Advert
Old 11-01-2010, 03:26 PM   #6
Greggywocky

Ok. Thanks, I'll give that a try.

I should add that in my processes I have calibre.exe and two instances of calibre-parallel.exe running, though I only have the main Calibre window open. Don't know if that's normal or not!
Old 11-01-2010, 03:27 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

that's fine calibre-parallel are the worker processes
Old 11-01-2010, 04:01 PM   #8
Greggywocky

How odd! Absolutely nothing happens when the schedule time arrives. Are there perhaps other processes/services within Windows that the scheduler relies on that may be switched off? I'm running XP SP2. I've noticed I can't synchronize the time with time.windows.com or nist.gov, because of an unspecified error.

Once again, it works perfectly if I do it manually!

Thanks
Old 11-01-2010, 04:02 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No the scheduler is fully internal. Is the time/timezone on your system correct?
Old 11-01-2010, 04:12 PM   #10
Greggywocky

Yes, it's all correct
Old 11-01-2010, 04:14 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Run the following in the command prompt and check that the date/time printed out are correct

calibre-debug -c "from calibre.utils.date import now; print now()"
Old 11-01-2010, 04:20 PM   #12
Greggywocky

Yep.

2010-11-01 20:19:07.006000+00:00
Old 11-01-2010, 04:24 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Then I'm at a loss for what it could be, sorry.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:32 PM   #14
Greggywocky

No probs - thanks for your help. As I said, having to click Download Now each morning instead isn't really a huge problem!
Old 11-01-2010, 05:08 PM   #15
Greggywocky

Well, I just removed the scheduled jobs, reinstalled, and now it works!

Once again, thanks for your help.