Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 04-23-2012, 02:39 PM   #1
markkalina
markkalina is that somebody.markkalina is that somebody.markkalina is that somebody.markkalina is that somebody.markkalina is that somebody.markkalina is that somebody.markkalina is that somebody.markkalina is that somebody.markkalina is that somebody.markkalina is that somebody.markkalina is that somebody.

Device: kindle
Hard Sci-Fi Space Opera- HEGEMONY, by Mark Kalina

I've self-published a novel on Amazon. Hegemony is a space opera with a hard-sci-fi edge and some transhumanist themes.

My readers to date seem to have liked it. It's available for 99 cents on Amazon.

If you're interested in a hard sci-fi story with intrigue and space battles, you might want to check it out.

It's available at
http://www.amazon.com/Hegemony-ebook...5206194&sr=8-1
markkalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:09 PM   #2
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Sounds interesting. Taking a look.

Two quick questions for you:

What does 'transhuminist' mean, and how do you pronounce 'Hegemony.'

ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:03 PM   #3
markkalina
markkalina is that somebody.markkalina is that somebody.markkalina is that somebody.markkalina is that somebody.markkalina is that somebody.markkalina is that somebody.markkalina is that somebody.markkalina is that somebody.markkalina is that somebody.markkalina is that somebody.markkalina is that somebody.

Transhumanist means relating to Transhumanism, which in turn is a philosophy of using technology to fundamentally change the human condition.

There are a couple of common ways of pronouncing "hegemony." In English, people tend to say "hedge-e-mony." The original Greek would sound more like "Heg-e-mony."
Old 04-23-2012, 07:59 PM   #4
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Sounds a good read.

Just purchased it
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:39 PM   #5
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markkalina View Post
Transhumanist means relating to Transhumanism, which in turn is a philosophy of using technology to fundamentally change the human condition.
Thanks.
Quote:
There are a couple of common ways of pronouncing "hegemony." In English, people tend to say "hedge-e-mony." The original Greek would sound more like "Heg-e-mony."
Sorry, I didn't make my emphasis clear. How do YOU pronounce it? I personally say "heh JEM in ee" But I like to know how the author meant it to sound. It's a word that often irks me.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:25 AM   #6
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
just bought it. it sounds like a cool story and from a quick scan of the sample i really like your writing style.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:13 PM   #7
markkalina

In my mind, I pronounce it like "hedge-e-mony."
Old 04-24-2012, 04:18 PM   #8
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by markkalina View Post
In my mind, I pronounce it like "hedge-e-mony."
Then for the length of your book, so will I. Alimony, ceremony, hegemony, got it!
Old 04-25-2012, 05:48 AM   #9
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
i'm about 20% in and enjoying it quite a bit. to be honest the first 10% was a tad slow due to trying to process all the concepts put out there but since then its definitely picked up.

its very david weber-ish and i think fans of his books, especially honor harrington, would enjoy it quite a bit. its a steal at a mere 99 cents.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:40 PM   #10
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
its very david weber-ish and i think fans of his books, especially honor harrington, would enjoy it quite a bit. its a steal at a mere 99 cents.
Ok.. That sold me Picked it up and I'll try to dig into it this weekend.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:37 AM   #11
Demosthenex
Demosthenex began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 702
Not to be rude, but chalk up one more e-book I won't buy. Sounds good, I'm always into a good space opera. I'd even pay more than the $0.99, I always felt $5+ was a decent minimum for a 350 page e-book.

It appears to be only available in the Kindle format, and I won't purchase anything with DRM or in a locked format like that. I only post here to provide feedback, you just missed a sale from a customer willing to spend more than the asking price due to DRM.

Let us know if a dead tree version becomes available and I'll grab a copy then.

Thanks.
Demosthenex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:15 AM   #12
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
Ditto to Demosthenex -- I would have been willing to give it a try for 99cents and potentinally paid more (I pay $3 for the Liaden chapbooks which are usually only 50 pages), but I won't buy due to DRM and would prefer not to buy from Amazon due to format locking.
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:31 AM   #13
markkalina

I doubt a dead tree version will be available, short of Print on Demand. However, I might try to e-publish via another format, in addition to Amazon; the advantage of Amazon, to me, is that it makes e-publishing easy. I'm not, personally, a fan of the locked format, but I find it to be a small annoyance, rather than a major issue.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:15 AM   #14
ApK

Mark, did you have the option to publish on Amazon without DRM? That way format shifting becomes trivial. (I bought it anyway, because, in reality, DRM is trivial, too....)
Old 04-27-2012, 12:47 PM   #15
markkalina

There is an option to publish without DRM, but the consensus of advice I got was that Amazon DRM was not intrusive and was worth it for the author.

I generally dislike DRM, but it can be done without being a pain, and Amazon seems to come close to that.

The format lock-down is the biggest issue that I can see, though with the ease of use and free availability of kindle software, it is, as I said, a minor issue to me.

As for Amazon's DRM, I doubt Amazon is going to start removing books that people have bought; they tried that once (with books by Orwell, of all things) and it hurt their repuation enough that I don't see a repeat being likely.

Of course if Amazon goes out of buisness, I could be eating my words with salt and cursing their DRM.

Meanwhile, to those who refuse to by a format-locked book with DRM, I understand your point of view, but, obviously, I'd be glad of your making an exception for my book...