Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-01-2016, 05:57 PM   #1
Kasper Hviid
Zealot
Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Any good novels about Virtual Reality?

I have read a few books in the series 'The Legendary Moonlight Sculptor'.
It's an entertaining read. The story mostly takes place inside a RPG to which the main character has dedicated himself in order to (hopefully) score a lot of money for his family. It is somewhat realistic, and has some more down-to-earth approach to VR as compared to the cyberspace-thingies in cyberpunk lit.

On the downside the books are a bit too cozy with lots of wish fulfilment, and the fan translation is sloppy at times. But its entertaining and with a few clever thoughts about VR.

... and that is all I got. So, any other VR recommendations?
Kasper Hviid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 10:02 PM   #2
ratinox
Fanatic
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, iPad Air 4
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline.
ratinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2016, 10:55 PM   #3
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
The classic William Gibson. Count Zero and Necromancer.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 01:54 AM   #4
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Tad Willians, Otherland
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 02:21 AM   #5
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
I second Ready Player One.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2016, 03:13 AM   #6
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Greg Egan gets quite deep into virtual reality and subjects such as artificial life, uploaded conciousness, etc. I'd recommend the novels Zendegi and especially Permutation City. There are also some short stories available free online from the author's website, e.g Wang's Carpets.

Edit: One I didn't enjoy as much (but others might) and has interesting ideas around augmented reality is Vernor Vinge's Rainbows End.

Last edited by GeoffR; 11-02-2016 at 03:41 AM. Reason: Verbor Vinge's 'Rainbows End'
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 04:41 AM   #7
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Dream Park by Niven & Barnes, maybe not exactly virtual reality but close
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:10 AM   #8
Kasper Hviid
Zealot
Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, great suggestions!

Never read William Gibson, but isn't his VR a bit dated today? My gut feeling is that his VR visions were some kinda neon-colored wonderland for hackers and geeks.

I have been eying 'Ready Player One' a lot of times, but after that Gamergate thing, I was a bit put off by Gamer nostalgia, due to its inherient reactionary streak. I might get into it now!

Not a book, but the Black Mirror episode 'Playtest' deals with VR! (I need to pull myself together and watch the new season - but that show is always soo depressive, like cyberpunk 2.0)
Old 11-03-2016, 09:50 AM   #9
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasper Hviid View Post

Never read William Gibson, but isn't his VR a bit dated today? My gut feeling is that his VR visions were some kinda neon-colored wonderland for hackers and geeks.

I have been eying 'Ready Player One' a lot of times, but after that Gamergate thing, I was a bit put off by Gamer nostalgia, due to its inherient reactionary streak. I might get into it now!

Not a book, but the Black Mirror episode 'Playtest' deals with VR! (I need to pull myself together and watch the new season - but that show is always soo depressive, like cyberpunk 2.0)
There is at least one movie that I can think of that deals with it too.
"The 13th Floor." And there was the small mini-series "Wild Palms." Also the movie "Virtuosity" takes place in part in such a world if I recall correctly.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 10:29 AM   #10
ratinox
Fanatic
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasper Hviid View Post

Gibson's cyberspace was whatever conveyed the story he was trying to tell and set the mood he was trying to evoke. "The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel." He readily admitted that he knew practically nothing about computers and computer networks when he wrote his early stories. But then, his work, like that of his contemporaries, wasn't about the technology but the kind of urban shellshock that arises from technology advancing faster than people can keep up.

ObRecommendation: Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. Another story in which a virtual reality world has a significant purpose.
ratinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 03:46 PM   #11
fantasyISbetter
FantasyisBetter
fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Try Old Twentieth by Joe Haldeman, The Circuit of Heaven by Dennis Danvers for novels where virtual reality is not just entertainment.
fantasyISbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 04:28 PM   #12
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I would downvote Ready Player One, upvote Neuromancer and Snowcrash, and add Philip K. Dick's Time Out of Joint, which isn't technically virtual reality, but is "artificial reality," a concept borrowed by the film "The Truman Show" and the aforementioned Dream Park and its sequel.

Oh, and also the John Carpenter classic, "They Live."

Last edited by curtw; 11-03-2016 at 04:34 PM.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 04:43 PM   #13
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
I would downvote Ready Player One, upvote Neuromancer and Snowcrash...
And I am completely the opposite.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 01:12 PM   #14
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Some good suggestions made already. How about Charlie Stross' Glasshouse and Vernor Vinge's 'The Cookie Monster' (novella) and 'True Names?"
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 09:03 AM   #15
Kasper Hviid
Zealot

Outside of my fiction reading, I just dived into 'Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming' which deals with a concept closely related to VR. I remember reading that VR use should hightens the chance of lucid dreaming.

Just to recap:

NAM-HI-SUNG: The Legendary Moonlight Sculptor (massive series about VR RPG gaming)
ERNEST CLINE: Ready Player One
WILLIAM GIBSON: Count Zero
WILLIAM GIBSON: Necromancer
TAD WILLIANS: Otherland
GREG EGAN: Zendegi
GREG EGAN: Permutation City
GREG EGAN: Various free short stories from his website, like Wang's Carpets
VERNOR VINGE: Rainbows End (might suck, but got interesting ideas about AR)
VERNOR VINGE: The Cookie Monster (novella)
VERNOR VINGE: True Names (novella)
NIVEN & BARNES: Dream Park (maybe not exactly virtual reality but close)
NEAL STEPHENSON: Snow Crash (Another story in which a virtual reality world has a significant purpose)
JOE HALDEMAN: Old Twentieth (novel where virtual reality is not just entertainment.)
DENNIS DANVERS: The Circuit of Heaven (novel where virtual reality is not just entertainment.)
PHILIP K. DICK: Time Out of Joint (isn't technically virtual reality, but is "artificial reality," a concept borrowed by the film "The Truman Show")
CHARLIE STROSS: Glasshouse