Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-11-2010, 07:05 AM   #1
JenniH
JenniH began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite & Nook
Kindle 3 wifi sync

Hi,

I live in the UK and adore my Kindle DX, which I can sync only via USB.

I'm trying to wean myself off reading confidential work documents on my smartphone before I go to sleep.

I never get round to syncing up feeds via USB so I figured I'd buy a Kindle 3 wifi to do this.

I'd love some help with the following question:

Is emailing docs to @free.kindle.com the only way to keep a Kindle WIFI in sync. Is there any dropbox equivalent hack, allowing the Kindle to keep in sync with a remote folder? Is it even remotely feasible to build something like this? Ideally I'd like the document files waiting on the device, rather than having to download them via the browser, which I realise is the other option.

Thanks very much in advance for any wisdom.

Jenni
JenniH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:22 AM   #2
Madmanden
Enthusiast
Madmanden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Madmanden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Madmanden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Madmanden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
I'm not sure about the dropbox thing. For feeds I use Kindlefeeder.com. For Internet pages I'd like to read later I use Instapaper.com, which has a feature that'll send unread articles to your Kindle. Calibre has some syncing capabilities too, but I haven't really used those yet so I can't comment on that.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in.
Madmanden is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2010, 03:05 PM   #3
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
There's really no way to make Kindle sync with a remote folder. Emailing is probably the fastest non-USB method of getting personal documents onto Kindle, especially if they need to be converted to Kindle format before use or if they're PDF files. But, you can also manually transfer .txt, .mobi, .prc, and .azw files from a web server. If you're already using DropBox for your files, this thread (and other similar threads) may be of interest to you: Calibre2OPDS, Dropbox and Kindle

Also, you might want to keep an eye on the DropBox forum: Kindle Development Kit and DropBox?
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:13 PM   #4
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmanden View Post
I'm not sure about the dropbox thing. For feeds I use Kindlefeeder.com. For Internet pages I'd like to read later I use Instapaper.com, which has a feature that'll send unread articles to your Kindle. Calibre has some syncing capabilities too, but I haven't really used those yet so I can't comment on that.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in.
Have you gotten instapaper's sendtokindle working? For the life of me, i cannot get it to work.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:23 PM   #5
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekchick View Post
Also, you might want to keep an eye on the DropBox forum: Kindle Development Kit and DropBox?
Amazon impose limits on how much your Kindle app can download over 3G. I'm not sure whether they'll enforce the same for WiFi or not.

If your application downloads a lot every month then it'll have to be a monthly subscription.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2010, 12:08 AM   #6
Viseguy
Just a kid from Bklyn
Viseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi; Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
Have you gotten instapaper's sendtokindle working? For the life of me, i cannot get it to work.
I had it working for a while, but then, mysteriously, it stopped. I sent an e-mail to the support address (instapaper at marco dot org), but received no answer (although I'm sure my e-mail was read and appreciated).

I've just started using calibre to send Instapaper compilations to my Kindle, following these instructions. I'm hoping that works. (P.S. It does work.)

Last edited by Viseguy; 09-30-2010 at 11:05 AM.
Viseguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, wifi