Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

View Poll Results: So, do you read the whole book before posting?
Yes,I read every word before I upload books! 5 26.32%
I skim, and let most work be done through a word processor 8 42.11%
I only check errors my word processor tells me, and correct layout. 2 10.53%
I don't upload books, and find I should have the right to vote as well! Freedom of speech!! 4 21.05%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-29-2008, 06:07 PM   #1
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
So,do you completely read the books you convert?

When creating/converting an e-book to a mobile electronic format compatible with a reader, do you read the whole book, or not?
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 06:25 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I feel slightly guilty for not reading every word before I upload an ebook. That's the main reason I rarely post anymore.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2008, 06:27 PM   #3
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I'd love to be able to catch and fix all possible errors before I upload a book. Unfortunately, the main reason that I convert them is so that I can read them on my Sony. So I usually only skim the text for obvious errors as I convert them. As I've now read most of the ones I've posted, I've been keeping notes of errors I've discovered that I intend to fix later and repost.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 07:12 PM   #4
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Absolutely! I have to, in order to catch scanning errors not caught by the OCR process. Each scanner/OCR has its own quirks, Optoscan 3600/Finescanner 5.0 tend to convert "the" to "die", which passed spell checking but is still wrong. My attention span is not perfect, though, and I usually take 2 (or more) reading passes to get it right. (I read e-books nowadays with a pen and note pad at my side to write down errors to fix, even with commercial e-books!) -- RSE
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 08:37 PM   #5
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I myself mainly skim through the text, and let the book run through some obvious macros that I develop while creating books.

Word's grammar and spellingcheck is all I give to the book, though generally I would read more than 60% skimming the book for errors.
Advert
Old 11-29-2008, 09:17 PM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
that's the beauty of the eb1150 ; i can circle the errors on the touchscreen as i read and then go back and correct them later ; the search feature allows me to jump from markup to markup. very convenient.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 09:27 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I cannot answer the poll. The correct answer is missing. No, I don't read the eBooks I post here before I post them. I will someday read them all and then if I find any errors, I will correct them and post new versions. But for now, I don't really have the time to read before converting/posting. I'm looking for more good books to post.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:30 PM   #8
ProDigit
Karmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I cannot answer the poll. The correct answer is missing. No, I don't read the eBooks I post here before I post them. I will someday read them all and then if I find any errors, I will correct them and post new versions. But for now, I don't really have the time to read before converting/posting. I'm looking for more good books to post.
So you're basically saying you just let a document go through a conversion and that's it?
Old 11-29-2008, 10:39 PM   #9
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
If I'm making a book from a scan then I have to read every word - usually several times - in order to catch the OCR errors and restore the formatting.

I'm less rigorous with books that I find in html or txt. But I do have to go through the text a couple of times in order to check that any verses, epigraphs or other special formatting is preserved. And I always run a spell-check. Unfortunately, errors still escape me sometimes.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 04:28 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
When creating/converting an e-book to a mobile electronic format compatible with a reader, do you read the whole book, or not?
The poll does not contain an option for what I do, which is as follows:

I create the book, fix any obvious errors, and upload it.

When I then read it, I mark any errors that I come across and, when I've finished the book, correct them and upload a corrected version of the book.

For some books I go through a third stage, which is to do a careful comparison with a printed edition, and fix errors that show up that way (often a very large number - hundreds; sometimes thousands).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 05:01 AM   #11
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Yes, with a couple of exceptions. I convert books I want to read, and I am a real nitpicker, so I take some time to carefully format the book, then I read it with pen and paper to take note of possible mistakes... if possible, I compare with a printed edition, or with scans available in the net[*]. Once I finish reading the book, I upload it and, of course, if I subsequently find any more problems I upload a corrected version.

[*]Sadly, I've found many recent editions of out-of-copyright books (as found in Google Books) are just the Project Gutenberg texts in paper form, so they keep the same mistakes, the formatting is often bad and conversion of curly quotes and apostrophes is automatic (which is even worse). The last example is Mark Twain's "The American Claimant", which I am currently reading, I had to download a scanned copy from the Internet Archive, because every other version I found was a pain to look at.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 08:15 AM   #12
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
It depends, really.

I skim only for books coming from the distributed proofreaders. I make a spellcheck on those and "fly" over them to identify the obvious errors. Later on I correct errors and update versions, if any.

For books like the Karl Mays or any books not coming from pgdp, I do proofread them while working on them.

Last edited by mtravellerh; 11-30-2008 at 08:17 AM.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 08:19 AM   #13
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Yes, with a couple of exceptions. I convert books I want to read, and I am a real nitpicker, so I take some time to carefully format the book, then I read it with pen and paper to take note of possible mistakes... if possible, I compare with a printed edition, or with scans available in the net[*]. Once I finish reading the book, I upload it and, of course, if I subsequently find any more problems I upload a corrected version.

[*]Sadly, I've found many recent editions of out-of-copyright books (as found in Google Books) are just the Project Gutenberg texts in paper form, so they keep the same mistakes, the formatting is often bad and conversion of curly quotes and apostrophes is automatic (which is even worse). The last example is Mark Twain's "The American Claimant", which I am currently reading, I had to download a scanned copy from the Internet Archive, because every other version I found was a pain to look at.
I found that the OCR'd texts from archive.org are really poorly done. I wonder what kind of software they use. Typing is sometimes faster than proofreading those,

Last edited by mtravellerh; 11-30-2008 at 09:04 AM.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 08:47 AM   #14
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
It varies. In general, I read through before uploading. However, I didn't do this on the King James Bible - I just ensured that formatting was correct as far as I could.

But in general, I check before uploading, and if I can find two independent sources, I'll compare the two versions to catch differences before starting, and also check against the printed book, or scans of a printed version.

This probably explains why I don't upload very much.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:10 AM   #15
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Well, the one book I have uploaded I checked over several times as i wrote it. How does that count?

Actually, I just posted to subscribe to this thread.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote