Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats > LRF

Notices

Old 11-11-2008, 10:57 PM   #1
JGB
Groupie
JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505
They fixed the Program to convert .LRFs to other formats!

http://www.processtext.com/abcsonylrf.html

Before it was usable but painstaking because it wouldn't get the Author and Title info from the .lrf it would just use ABC and Untitled.
I got an email saying they'd changed that, so for people like me converting everything to .Epub(or any of a bunch of formats) It rocks!

I Highly recommend it.
JGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:15 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm not sure why you think this new version is good. It's awful.

Quote:
$_"Thanks," Lense said tersely. She took the needle but she couldn't look Mara in the eye. Her face flamed with anger, embarrassment. "I know that."
The quotes and apostrophes are wrong and look at the garbage at the front of the paragraph.

Quote:
I know that, tooN_. Lense squeezed her eyes tight. She tried counting to ten and made it to three. "So what do you want me to do, huh? Give up? Stop trying to help? We have virtually no_ equipment!, But if there's even a_ chance...!"
There is italics in that paragraph that's totally lost and more garbage in the midst of the paragraph.

No graphics are kept, no formatting, garbage throughout the converted document. This is using an LRF converted from LIT with Calibre.

I don't recall if this is worse then 1.07, but 1.09 is absolutely god awful drek. It doesn't work to even get clean text out of the LRF I gave it regardless of formatting or graphics.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2008, 11:30 AM   #3
JGB
Groupie
JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What would you recommend instead, I'd love to hear of something better?
If Caliber did it it would be totally painless, and I'd be even happier with it
but that's not happening any time soon I think.

As far as I know, it's the only converter that does .lrf->other formats it at all.
Despite the occasional annoying characters I'm happy not having to manually edit every author and title of batches of books I'm converting to read.
I didn't notice it being quite that bad, I had around 2 errors per chapter in Dune, usually a random character at the start of a paragraph or end of a line.
However that wasn't a .lrf from Caliber, I wonder if that made a difference?
I don't know what program was used to create it.

I'll modify my statement a bit. Being the only program to convert .LRFs, I highly recommend it if you are trying to get rid of your .lrf files.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:32 AM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGB View Post
I'll modify my statement a bit. Being the only program to convert .LRFs, I highly recommend it if you are trying to get rid of your .lrf files.
I'm curious. How did you get your LRF files? Most places you can get LRF files also have them in other formats. So going back to the source to get another format would be simple enough.

This is why I don't see a compelling need for tools to convert FROM LRF.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:37 AM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGB View Post
What would you recommend instead, I'd love to hear of something better?
LRFTools from this very site.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2008, 12:04 PM   #6
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The quotes and apostrophes are wrong and look at the garbage at the front of the paragraph.
What's wrong with the quotes?
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:32 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Jon likes "curly quotes".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:36 PM   #8
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
One must understand that Jon's dislike of the Process Text Group and their line of ABC Amber products is well known and long standing.

I have used their products -- both the free ones like the Sony Converter and the purchased converters -- for many years and they have saved me many times in their format conversion. They have saved many, many hours of my time.

I have found that Yernar is responsive and concerned about the quality and usability of his tools. I am a client and am not part of Process Text Group.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:22 PM   #9
JGB
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
LRFTools from this very site.
Colour me embarassed
I tried searching here but totally missed that.

how does it do for conversion errors?
I quite like the ABC converter's interface, and the only real reason I could see to switch now would be if LRFTools made fewer errors(none would be great)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwood
I have found that Yernar is responsive and concerned about the quality and usability of his tools. I am a client and am not part of Process Text Group.
+1 on that end, I emailed asking about the author/name issue and got an email back within a week telling me that the new version solved that issue.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:35 PM   #10
JGB
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I'm curious. How did you get your LRF files? Most places you can get LRF files also have them in other formats. So going back to the source to get another format would be simple enough.

This is why I don't see a compelling need for tools to convert FROM LRF.

BOb
I suppose that is possible, however since I have free books from anywhere I could find them, It would be rather annoying to dig through all the sites from Cory Doctorow to the Gutenberg project to find them all.
I've already spent time collecting and sorting them, not realizing I'd want to switch formats. Otherwise I would have just done what I do now(download Epub if available, .lit+.lrf if not)
Old 11-25-2008, 06:48 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
One must understand that Jon's dislike of the Process Text Group and their line of ABC Amber products is well known and long standing.

I have used their products -- both the free ones like the Sony Converter and the purchased converters -- for many years and they have saved me many times in their format conversion. They have saved many, many hours of my time.

When I asked if the Sony converter would be handling the formatting and graphics, I was told there would be a new version soon that would do all that and when we finally get an updated LONG after that soon, it still doesn't do any of the things that were said to be in the next version.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:50 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
What's wrong with the quotes?
The LRF used to convert from had curly quotes and apostrophes. The conversion totally lost this as well as making a mess as shown in my post.