Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-30-2008, 04:15 PM   #1
HaggisMacJedi
Zealot
HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 4, iPhone 4
Why No "USA Today"?

It seems to me that since the Kindle is a device targeting a somewhat national market in the USA, wouldn't it make sense to have the only "national" newspaper available on the device (USA Today)? I mean, I don't live anywhere near any of the cities listed under the current Kindle newspaper offerings, and I HIGHLY doubt that any of my local newspapers will make it on there anytime in the near future. However, USA Today would interest me.

So, what's the deal? It seems to me they'd drum up more business with USA Today than the Phoenix or Atlanta papers.
HaggisMacJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 05:42 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
It's likely Amazon has/is trying for more content, as with most things negotiations can take time. The Kindle is still a baby
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2008, 10:24 PM   #3
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaggisMacJedi View Post
It seems to me that since the Kindle is a device targeting a somewhat national market in the USA, wouldn't it make sense to have the only "national" newspaper available on the device (USA Today)?
The way I heard it they almost had the deal closed but the Amazon Legal Department axed the deal because of fear they'd be sued for listing it in the Newspaper category.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:16 AM   #4
HaggisMacJedi
Zealot
HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Huh? That is crazy. I still think USA Today is the logical FIRST choice of papers to be included on the Kindle. I'd never subscribe to the paper edition, but I'd subscribe to the Kindle edition in a heartbeat.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:17 AM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Huh? That is crazy. I still think USA Today is the logical FIRST choice of papers to be included on the Kindle. I'd never subscribe to the paper edition, but I'd subscribe to the Kindle edition in a heartbeat.

I believe the comment was a joke. Did you see the smiley?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2008, 11:24 AM   #6
HaggisMacJedi
Zealot

No, no, I knew it was a joke. I'm just still amazed USA Today is not in the lineup.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:43 AM   #7
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
me too

Quote:
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:12 PM   #8
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I want the Chicago Tribune.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 04:26 PM   #9
HaggisMacJedi
Zealot

I am on hold right now with USA Today after asking the customer service rep if they were planning on making a Kindle version. Her response was "Is that a corporation?" I said, "No, it's an electronic device produced and sold by Amazon.com. It's an electronic book." She said "Uhhh, let me check on that for you."

I'm still on hold...

...okay, she's taking my number to have someone call me back.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:27 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I'd like to see the AOPA Member magazine go digital.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 04:31 PM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
I am on hold right now with USA Today after asking the customer service rep if they were planning on making a Kindle version. Her response was "Is that a corporation?" I said, "No, it's an electronic device produced and sold by Amazon.com. It's an electronic book." She said "Uhhh, let me check on that for you."

I'm still on hold...

...okay, she's taking my number to have someone call me back.
Might be easier to email them with links to the Kindle page as well and the pages listing the papers available.

Maybe toss in a few links about the Kindle from their own paper.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/product...schuster_N.htm
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/product...1-kindle_N.htm
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/product...n-kindle_N.htm
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:15 PM   #12
lensman
lensman doesn't litterlensman doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500
What's wrong with the New York Times, the Washington Post, and the Wall Street Journal?

I'm actually interested in more local papers. I'd kill for my hometown paper on the Kindle.

Or hey, what about the idea of the Newspaper Subscription Pack? All newspapers for a flat fee? Another idea is progressive discounts.
lensman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:20 PM   #13
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
No matter where I move, the LA Times will always be my "hometown paper." I'm giving it the two week trial to see if I want to keep it.

RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:15 PM   #14
Izzy
Lost in Kindleland
Izzy began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I want the Chicago Tribune.
Me too! I emailed Kindle Support this morning to ask about a ETA on the Trib.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 05:10 PM   #15
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Back in the day when I spent more time on a plane and in hotels than at home I would always pick up USA Today because more often than not it was available everywhere I went. The choice would be either the local paper or USA Today, sometimes I'd come across NYT or WP. Plus many hotels would drop off a complementary copy at your door in the morning.

That said, I wouldn't subscribe to USA Today but I would love, love, love to have pictures in my Washington Post Kindle version.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote