Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-15-2008, 03:11 PM   #1
coryj
coryj began at the beginning.

Device: n/a
iGo charger and the kindle

I just bought this from woot. It has the A00 tip which reportedly fits just fine in the kindle. However, I don't want to destroy my kindle by overpowering it... this would mostly be used as a backup and/or travel charger.

The info:

8 Watt continuous output
Use only with A-series power tips
Over-voltage, over-temperature short circuit and surge protection
Retractable Outlet Blades
AC Input: 100-240 VAC; 0.3A; 50/60 Hz
Output Power: Up to 8W continuous
Dimensions: 2.98” x 2.05” x 1.04” (75.69×52.07×26.42mm)

Will this work OK?

Thanks.
coryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:44 PM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Will it work OK? I believe it will. iGo lists the A00 as the correct iTip for the Kindle so everything should be fine.

While I do not own a Kindle, I do have an iGo Juice 70 which powers my laptop, mp3 player, cell phone, camera, and Sony Reader. It has never overcharged or done any damage to any of my equipment.

NatCh and I both own iGos and have had great experiences with them. Welcome to the club.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2008, 07:46 PM   #3
coryj
coryj began at the beginning.

Device: n/a
Very cool, thanks... I might add that woot sold me two of them (it was a 2pack), so if anyone else with a kindle is interested in the second one, shoot me a PM
coryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:03 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I own an iGO tip for the PSP that I can use to charge my 505 in the car if need be.

I don't need an iGO Juice 70. I have an AC to car power adapter and a one to two cigarette lighter adapter so I can use my iGO adapters in the house. We have two iGo car adapters, two tips for our cell phones and a tip for the PSP.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 12:30 PM   #5
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle, Iliad v2 & v1,Gen 3 from NAEB, Sony PRS-505, Jetbook
I have the same Igo charger you have and it works fine on the Kindle. You can get a splitter and charge two devices at once.

Instead of the Igo Power Xtender http://www.amazon.com/powerXtender-P...182787&sr=8-10

I prefer the Energizer http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Port...3182672&sr=8-2

It hold 4 AA batteries instead of 2 and includes the Igo tip that fits the Iphone and Ipod. The tip alone is $10 on Amazon or Ebay so you can sell the tip if you don't have an Ipod or Iphone and pay about $4 for the Energizer. It works great with my Kindle as well as other devices. It will take any Igo tip.
Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2008, 04:46 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
And then Energizer is cheaper too. I'll have to see how much one would be locally.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 06:10 PM   #7
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle, Iliad v2 & v1,Gen 3 from NAEB, Sony PRS-505, Jetbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And then Energizer is cheaper too. I'll have to see how much one would be locally.
I forgot to mention that the Energizer includes 4 Lithium batteries. The Igo Xtender includes 2 Duracell alkalines.

Plus the Energizer has a cord whereas the Igo Xtender just plugs right into the device, kinda cumbersome in an airplane, taxi, etc. Both have LED's to indicate if the batteries are drained or not.

I use mine mainly for my Iphone but it powers the Kindle as well as bluetooth headset, etc
Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:58 AM   #8
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
I use a AA battery pack I bought at www.gomadic.com.

It uses interchangeable tips, so you can use it for pretty much all of your gadgets. I have tips for my iPod, Archos 605, cell phone, Kindle, Sony Reader, and some generic USB ones.

The battery life is great if you use lithium, and it will use rechargeables too. There are some new nimh rechargeables I got off www.thomas-distributing.com that are low discharge, which means they hold their charge for a year! No more dead rechargeables after a few weeks.
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:24 PM   #9
sheureka
sheureka is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
I've had one of these - http://tinyurl.com/36uzug - for several years and use it for my iPod, phone, gps receiver, bt headset, and now my kindle. It's been invaluable, particularly when I'm traveling. - sheureka
sheureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:52 AM   #10
pbennett
Enthusiast
pbennett began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 500, Amazon Kindle
Has anyone else tried the iGo powerXtender (2 AA batteries) charger with the Kindle? I used it briefly recently when travelling (with the A00 tip) and it provided power to the Kindle but the Kindle made an awful screeching sort of whining noise. It was rather disconcerting honestly. It definitely seemed to power and charge the Kindle, but it made me nervous to put it mildly.
pbennett is offline   Reply With Quote