Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-18-2013, 09:30 PM   #1
robertiv
robertiv began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
How to *not* sync Kobo with library and manually manage instead?

I've got an extra Kobo Glo (picked up an Aura HD) that I'm giving to my girlfriend. She has no real interest in learning the finer points of ebook & reader management, so I was planning to just load a book or two on the device as she planned to read them.

So what I did was delete all my books on it and do a factory reset, so there was a clean fresh start for her. However, the device incessantly wants to login to my account and automatically re-download all my books.

What I want is to disable all this automation and just have the ability to manually load individual books for her without going thru the trouble of creating a new account & whatnot. Basically use the device in the simplest manner possible. But this seems surprisngly easier said than done.

Any ideas how to go about this? Thanks.
robertiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:55 PM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
You need to create a new account for the Glo to log in to. Otherwise if you log it into an existing account then it will sync with all the other devices on that account.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2013, 11:12 PM   #3
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
If the reader your loaning to girl friend still is associated to your Kobo account it will not sync and download books from your account if it never connects to wifi or to computer running Kobo software. You can down load kobo DRM epub books to Adobe Digital Editions then load them onto the reader. For plain old epub books without DRM just copy and paste onto connected Kobo reader, SD card or use Calibre.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:46 AM   #4
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
I keep 2 Kobo accounts, one for buying ebooks with and one for my Glo sign in.

I never buy ebooks using the Glo sign in account and only attach it to my Kobo Desktop (which is in the same account name as the Glo) when I want to upgrade the firmware.

So, the first account can be used on the Kobo Desktop, as can the second account.

But, I only keep the Glo Kobo email account synced to the Kobo desktop and not my purchasing account.

The reason I have to do that is because as far as I'm aware it's not possible to sync 1 book, or select books, at a time. The Kobo Desktop auto syncs all books.

I sideload all my Calibre cleaned epubs onto my Glo - I never use the wifi on it, nor do I use it to browse the internet. I merely use it as a 'dumb' ereader.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:59 AM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I haven't seen the release FW for the Aura, but the beta FW we tested with the same FW number had an option to turn off sync entirely. You will want to check out the settings for this, as otherwise, I believe there will be a nightly phone home checked by default.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2013, 12:28 PM   #6
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
You will want to check out the settings for this, as otherwise, I believe there will be a nightly phone home checked by default.
The phone home auto-sync will only happen if you leave your wifi turned on (and device in sleep mode). However you can fully turn it off too.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote