Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-12-2013, 05:19 PM   #1
fraser thompson
fraser thompson began at the beginning.

Device: kindle, ASUS tablet
Remote LIbrary

I read with interest the forum on logging onto a library-controlling private computer by remote access, but I have a different problem:

I am retired (aged 75) and have different addresses and living places depending on seasons, touring trips, etc. When I am not in residence at any given place, it is shut down, with no computers running.

I would be willing to spring for the cost of a hosted website that I (and only I) can access from wherever I am.

Can such a thing be done? I have been unable to find a solution in your forum database. I have some basic experience with website management.

I think calibre is great and would be glad to give a modest sum to help.

Nice to meet you all,

Fraser
fraser thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:51 PM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Hi Fraser - welcome to the forum.

Calibre does have the ability to do what you want. I personally use Calibre to host all of my books on my own personal server so I can access/manage my library from (literally) all over the world.

If you go into the "Calibre" forum you will be able to find several threads on how to set it up. Search for "ODBC" or "server".

Cheers!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2013, 08:03 PM   #3
fraser thompson
fraser thompson began at the beginning.

Device: kindle, ASUS tablet
Remote Library

Thank you sir! (or Ms?)
I'll continue looking there
fraser thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:37 PM   #4
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Hi Fraser - welcome to the forum.

Calibre does have the ability to do what you want. I personally use Calibre to host all of my books on my own personal server so I can access/manage my library from (literally) all over the world.

If you go into the "Calibre" forum you will be able to find several threads on how to set it up. Search for "ODBC" or "server".

Cheers!
This doesn't really solve fraser's question of how to do this without leaving his home PC on all the time. Also, I think you mean "OPDS" (Open Publication Distribution System, an Atom-based syndication format for libraries), not "ODBC" (Open Database Connectivity, a method of connecting to databases like SQL Server or Oracle).

Fraser, are you just looking for access to download your books that you manage from your PC when you're at home? Or are you looking to be able to manage the library (add more books) while on the god? The latter is hard and doesn't really have a solution at the moment, but the former is easy. Here's what you do:
  1. Get yourself an account with an online file storage place, like Dropbox, Skydrive, Box.net, etc. Make sure you read TOSes and search the net for feedback, as some of these are more strict about content you can host (for example, Dropbox has banned some users for "pirated content").
  2. Install the software for your chosen service that manages syncing between desktop and the cloud. This will create a local folder that is synced
  3. Tell calibre to create a library in the synced folder, and then copy books to that library. Or just move your existing library into that synced folder. The sync software will now upload all of your data to the cloud (this could take a while)
  4. Get Calibre2Opds and run it against your calibre folder location. This will generate an OPDS file that you can upload to your cloud storage as well (if you do this all within the synced folder, that should happen automagically)
  5. Figure out the public URL of the opds file you generated, and put that into your favorite OPDS-compatible reader (on Android you can use Aldiko, FBReader, Moon+, Cool Reader, calibre companion, etc; on Kindle, you should be able to browse the generated HTML catalog to download books)

Alternatively, if you don't want to use a file locker and manual OPDS file, you can pay for a virtual hosting service (generally pretty cheap, you can find them for as little as $20/year if you shop around for sales) and run something like COPS there. You'll still have to upload your library, though, and without an automated sync tool like the file lockers provide you'll have to do it manually any time you change anything.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:52 AM   #5
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
I see you have an Asus tablet, so you could also look at Mantano.

Mantano has a cloud-based service (called Mantano Cloud) that allows you to upload your books via one of your devices and then allows you to syncronise them across multiple devices. I use it for two tablets and a phone and it works great.

It might be what you need for this.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2013, 06:05 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The easiest solution would be to store your books in a Cloud-based service, such as Dropbox, Carbonite, or Sugarsync. You can then access your books anywhere that you have Internet access.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:09 AM   #7
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
I think you mean "OPDS" (Open Publication Distribution System, an Atom-based syndication format for libraries), not "ODBC" (Open Database Connectivity, a method of connecting to databases like SQL Server or Oracle).
Yes...OPDS...too many acronyms running around my brain!!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:48 PM   #8
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook 302, Pocketbook 912, Nook HD+
You might look at something like OnyxOS or ZeroPC. It actually gives you a virtual desktop in the cloud instead of just cloud storage. Search for Web Desktop in google. You'll find more information than you ever thought possible. Be careful though. Some of these companies come and go pretty fast. Some will work in any browser, some like Onyx require flash.
JimMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:10 AM   #9
Polyphemus
I am not The Stig
Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK-3g; PRS-350; Galaxy Tab 7.0+; Galaxy Tab 3 10.1
Another option would be to use Calibre Portable. It is completely self-contained and can live on a flashdrive or a portable hard drive. This is what I use because my job requires me to travel away from home for extended periods of time. I do keep a backup copy of my library in a Dropbox folder, just in case.
Polyphemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:31 AM   #10
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The easiest solution would be to store your books in a Cloud-based service, such as Dropbox, Carbonite, or Sugarsync. You can then access your books anywhere that you have Internet access.
As he's got a kindle, he could also enable personal documents on Amazon and email any books to it that he wants remote access to. There's 5GB of space available which would allow you to access any of those docs via the archive option on your kindle and download as you would any normal amazon purchase.

If you're using calibre, that would be as simple as setting up the email address for your kindle account in calibre, selecting all the books you want and picking email, then leaving it to chug away converting/uploading to Amazon.

Should 5GB every become an issue, you can then look into alternatives, but it may be all you need depending on the types of books you read.

Granted, it's not the same as remote access to calibre, so whether it will work for you depends on what exactly you're looking to achieve. If it's just remote access to all your books without keeping them all on your device though and you've less than 5GB, maybe it's suitable?
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:15 AM   #11
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
I also think this would be the best solution.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:55 AM   #12
forgottenbooks
forgottenbooks began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
How about google drive?
forgottenbooks is offline   Reply With Quote