Notices

Old 03-27-2012, 12:35 PM   #31
peterhondak
Zealot
peterhondak is on a distinguished road

Device: KoboMini (mine and MIL) KoboVox(returned), sonytouch(mom's),samsung7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by insync44 View Post
Well I've come to the conclusion that the Kobe Vox is the only color ereader for me. after exhaustive research I find that the two other alternatives are not Canada friendly (color Nook and Kindle Fire). The reviews on the Vox are mainly terrible concentrating on it being underpowered, sluggish and prone to problems. However, all agree that it is internationally usable.

Its on sale, at the moment, for $129.99, with a 30 day return policy, at my local store. I'll give it a try.
where?????
peterhondak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:36 PM   #32
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Its on sale, at the moment, for $129.99, with a 30 day return policy, at my local store. I'll give it a try.
Yes, at $130 it should definitely be worthwhile. But not at $180 or $200.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2012, 03:35 PM   #33
valar84
valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox + Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellr View Post
That's a steal! The lowest I see at the moment is $179 at Best Buy.
Pay no attention to the poor reviews. All the reviewers are comparing it to tablets, not e-readers. The Vox is an e-reader with benefits.
I agree. As a tablet, it is lackluster as it lacks power, features and access to a decent app market. However, it has one big feature that makes it excellent as a color ereader: a great screen. It is bright, high-resolution with very good viewing angles.

It can do some things a tablet can, like play simple games, view movies and surf the net, and do it relatively well, but it's not a full tablet experience. It's rather an ereader with extra features, and it does the job quite well when you consider it like that.
valar84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:39 PM   #34
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
OTOH if you're only really interested in reading non Kobo epub files you might want to consider an Android epub reader app of some kind and an Android tablet of some sort. Interesting comment by valar84 about the screen. It is a nice screen and others available in retail outlets might only be 800x600 or such.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:13 AM   #35
valar84
valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToews View Post
OTOH if you're only really interested in reading non Kobo epub files you might want to consider an Android epub reader app of some kind and an Android tablet of some sort. Interesting comment by valar84 about the screen. It is a nice screen and others available in retail outlets might only be 800x600 or such.
I've installed Aldiko and the Kindle apps on my Kobo Vox, which allows me to read a variety of ebooks. It's just a matter of finding the APK for these apps.

The Kindle Fire and Nook tablet also have great screens, allegedly. But they're not available outside the US, and even if you import them, they are crippled by the lack of access to Amazon and B&N services. Other Android tablets in the price range of the Kobo Vox tend to have crappy screen, not only are their resolution lower (800x600 generally), but the viewing angles and brightness are lackluster. If you're not looking at the screen straight, colors fade very quickly, even invert.
Advert
Old 03-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #36
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by valar84 View Post
I've installed Aldiko and the Kindle apps on my Kobo Vox, which allows me to read a variety of ebooks. It's just a matter of finding the APK for these apps.
How have you found those software in terms of ease of use?

Quote:
Other Android tablets in the price range of the Kobo Vox tend to have crappy screen, not only are their resolution lower (800x600 generally), but the viewing angles and brightness are lackluster. If you're not looking at the screen straight, colors fade very quickly, even invert.
That's a very useful observation. Thanks muchly.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:51 PM   #37
insync44
insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
After much waffling I purchased a Blackberry Playbook from FS. It cost $200 plus a free 2 year extended warranty for free. It seems quite good in the couple of hours I've had it. Fast update, excellent browsing. Thanks for all the help.
insync44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:15 PM   #38
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
After much waffling I purchased a Blackberry Playbook from FS. It cost $200 plus a free 2 year extended warranty for free. It seems quite good in the couple of hours I've had it. Fast update, excellent browsing. Thanks for all the help.
Oh, the PlayBook *is* good. It's a $400 tablet (at a vastly reduced price), after all. Pity its app selection is meh, at best, and doesn't have some of the most popular stuff. Still, if you've got a techie friend, you could get them to get the SDK for it and convert some Android apps... Certainly shouldn't compare the other $200 tablets to it.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:54 AM   #39
valar84

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToews View Post
How have you found those software in terms of ease of use?

That's a very useful observation. Thanks muchly.
Aldiko and Kindle? They're okay. I don't have problems with them, but I consider myself relatively technologically skilled, so I don't know if that would be the case of others. For what it's worth, I think that both are considered good apps.

Screen quality is often ignored when talking about tablets and ereaders. Many only look at the resolution... If that. But these devices are mostly screens, so I think people should be careful about the screen quality, and I make a point of bringing up the point when talking about the different devices.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:58 PM   #40
Alans
Connoisseur
Alans began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Is it possible to lock the screen in portrait mode?
Alans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:24 PM   #41
valar84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alans View Post
Is it possible to lock the screen in portrait mode?
Yes, you can. Go to Settings->Display (or Screen, sorry, my Vox is in French). There will be an option for automatic screen rotation or some words to that effect. It should be checked by default. Tap it, it will uncheck it and lock it in portrait.

On the other hand, it seems impossible to lock it in landscape, if anyone wondered.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:49 AM   #42
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Quote:
On the other hand, it seems impossible to lock it in landscape, if anyone wondered.
You can lock the browser in landscape through its own settings. I've done that, otherwise I've got auto-rotate on. Except I have my readers set to portrait, like a book.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:05 AM   #43
doxhadawg
doxhadawg began at the beginning.

Device: none
Reader vs. Tablet

"If you want a great ereader that does other stuff like browse the web, plays videos, plays games, the Vox is pretty darn good. If you want an internet tablet that you'll use to read books, there are better choices for sure."

Am I missing something? If it does all that it is no longer a Reader. I would like a "Reader", no more than 6.5" max that sends and receives messages as the Apple Classic does, but on the net, more than that is just not necessary, and even that isn't. I just want to read, but more specifically, have a good reference book. (I suppose reference to most means the web again and we are back to a tablet.) B&W is fine, with a calendar, an mp3 player, room for a lot of books, dictionaries, reference, nice design, solidly built, annotation maybe, and hold the tech hassles. I have been waiting for 8 yrs and will just have to wait until the next model comes out ... and the next. I can wait.
doxhadawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:15 PM   #44
insync44
insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Smile

Quoting you, "Am I missing something? If it does all that it is no longer a Reader."

The Sony ereader cost me $100 (I think) brand new on Craig's List, maybe less, can't really remember. As a e reader I love it. Gives no problems and the e ink is easy on the eyes at night. i can drag and drop my drm free books and read them.

Now I have a Blackberry Playbook, which is just as good as an e reader but it does much more. Now if I don't want to read at night I can watch videos or read newspapers or watch sports. At $199 its more versatile. Not a bad thing. Doesn't break the bank and serves more purpose.
insync44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:02 AM   #45
Alans
Connoisseur
Alans began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
I really like the screen on my Kobo Vox..I find the screen on the Kindle much too dark,
although I guess I can brighten it, but I do like the print size and the colour screen on
the Kobo..it is so much easier to read and easy on the eyes. I also like the fact that
I have access to Overdrive, one of my favourite things about the Kobo. What I don't
like about the Kobo is that it is sluggish, sometimes it just won't give me access and other times the page won't turn. I also don't like the battery life..I read for two nights and I have to recharge again. But it's got the best screen by far.
Alans is offline   Reply With Quote