Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-13-2013, 06:54 PM   #166
ReaderRabbit
ReaderRabbit began at the beginning.

Device: Cruz Tablet
Simple question about quotes

I have two very basic questions. First about finding straight quotes (") and replacing them with curved opening quotes [A-Z] then the different curved closing quotes using maybe [," or ." or ?" or !"].

And here's why. . . I want to eventually find paragraghs with broken quotes. Paragraphs that have a “ (opening quote) but not a ” (closing quote).

Does this make sense?

So this is a two part question.

Thanks so much . . . I know you brainyachs will have a solution.

I am using Sigil v 0.6.2
ReaderRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:24 PM   #167
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaderRabbit View Post
I have two very basic questions. First about finding straight quotes (") and replacing them with curved opening quotes [A-Z] then the different curved closing quotes using maybe [," or ." or ?" or !"].

And here's why. . . I want to eventually find paragraghs with broken quotes. Paragraphs that have a “ (opening quote) but not a ” (closing quote).

Does this make sense?

So this is a two part question.

Thanks so much . . . I know you brainyachs will have a solution.

I am using Sigil v 0.6.2

Good luck
How do you tell where the missing quote belongs?
"That's nice," she said.
"I'll take it from here."

'Smarty' can handle most straight=>curly conversions, but I don't think it comes with a Ouija board plugin
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2013, 07:32 PM   #168
ReaderRabbit

There would be an opening quote in one paragraph and the closing quote in the next paragraph. I want to bring the two paragraphs together. I also prefer the curved quotes to the straight quotes in books.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:37 PM   #169
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
There would be an opening quote in one paragraph and the closing quote in the next paragraph. I want to bring the two paragraphs together. I also prefer the curved quotes to the straight quotes in books.
You need to fix the missing/join part. (There is a 'Saved Search: Join Paragraphs' that might help yo step through fairly quick Make a backup )
Smarty (is used in Calibre and may be available elsewhere), can then do the curly conversion.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #170
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
This is simply something that regex doesn't lend itself very well to. Heuristic algorithms are better suited for this job (but can still fall short of being perfect).
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #171
ReaderRabbit

OK, I will check into making changes in Calibre tho I would not know how to distinguish between Opening and Closing quotes when straight quotes are used in the original text. I thought Regex would probably be good at that.

My thanks to theducks and DiapDealer

Last edited by ReaderRabbit; 01-13-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:10 AM   #172
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
If the source text currently contains no curly quotation marks at all, you could use kiwidude's Modify ePub plugin. It has a Smarten Punctuation option that'll replace all straight quotes with curly quotes using a heuristic algorithm, which is pretty good, but not perfect.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:47 AM   #173
Ahu Lee
Ahu Lee began at the beginning.

Device: none
I'm sorry I have gone through the thread, but couldn't find anything that would work for my needs. I've read the wiki article, tried in vain many different combinations, but I'm obviously doing something wrong.

I would appreciate a little help on this:
I need to make a simple match to grab this thing with whatever characters within the id name:
<h2 class="story_title" id="(whatever)">

Many many thanks!

----------Edited------------

I found one in the "Saved Searches" in Sigil, touched it up a bit and it did the job.
(?sU)<h2([^>]*>.*)

Last edited by Ahu Lee; 01-15-2013 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Found the solution. \ TypoS
Ahu Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:20 PM   #174
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahu Lee View Post
I'm sorry I have gone through the thread, but couldn't find anything that would work for my needs. I've read the wiki article, tried in vain many different combinations, but I'm obviously doing something wrong.

I would appreciate a little help on this:
I need to make a simple match to grab this thing with whatever characters within the id name:
<h2 class="story_title" id="(whatever)">

Many many thanks!

----------Edited------------

I found one in the "Saved Searches" in Sigil, touched it up a bit and it did the job.
(?sU)<h2([^>]*>.*)
You mean, like:
Code:
<h2 class="story_title" id="(.+?)">
which grabs whatever when enclosed wit all the other stuff shown
Old 01-16-2013, 01:58 PM   #175
Ahu Lee
Ahu Lee began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You mean, like:
Code:
<h2 class="story_title" id="(.+?)">
which grabs whatever when enclosed wit all the other stuff shown
Well, yes, I had tried that as well, but it didn't (and still doesn't \ I've just tried it again just in case) match anything. No matches found.

Though, I'm not sure I understand this (not English-wise, but just what it's all about ):
Quote:
...when enclosed with all the other stuff shown
Could you elaborate on that for the newbie like me? Perhaps that's where the problem is.

Thank you very much!

Last edited by Ahu Lee; 01-16-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Ahu Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:09 PM   #176
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahu Lee View Post
Well, yes, I had tried that as well, but it didn't (and still doesn't \ I've just tried it again just in case) match anything. No matches found.

Though, I'm not sure I understand this (not English-wise, but just what it's all about ):

Could you elaborate on that for the newbie like me? Perhaps that's where the problem is.

Thank you very much!
If that does not match, then, maybe :
1) you are not in REGEX mode
2) you have accidentally included a Leading or trailing space in the search selection <<< I choose this one

( ) delineate the captured (stuff ) text
Old 01-17-2013, 07:43 AM   #177
LightFromMoon
LightFromMoon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Could anybody help me in this case?:

There is a code from EPUB:
Quote:
you</p>

<p class="calibre2">need
I need replace in whole document those symbols to a empty space to get only string "you need" and so on.
I tried to use:
(*[a-z])</p>

<p class="calibre2">([a-z]*) <-- did not worked. Is said. that no match found.

Last edited by LightFromMoon; 01-17-2013 at 07:46 AM.
LightFromMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:04 AM   #178
mzmm
Groupie
mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: iPad, Kindle Touch, Sony PRS-T1
this should work, but i'd still go through the file and replace them one at a time. it'll match a </p> not preceded by a non-alphanumeric character (like ?, ., !, etc.)

Code:
find:

(?<!\W)</p>\s+<p[^>]*>

rep:

<---- this is a single space

Last edited by mzmm; 01-17-2013 at 08:07 AM.
mzmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:19 AM   #179
LightFromMoon
LightFromMoon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzmm View Post
this should work, but i'd still go through the file and replace them one at a time. it'll match a </p> not preceded by a non-alphanumeric character (like ?, ., !, etc.)

Code:
find:

(?<!\W)</p>\s+<p[^>]*>

rep:

<---- this is a single space

Excuse me, but it didn't work for me. No matches found ....
LightFromMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:22 AM   #180
mzmm
Groupie
mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: iPad, Kindle Touch, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightFromMoon View Post
Excuse me, but it didn't work for me. No matches found ....
what are you using to edit the html?

it matches in sigil, make sure you have regex mode turned on.
mzmm is offline   Reply With Quote