Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-26-2009, 11:31 PM   #1
ManiaIlya
ManiaIlya began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
Talking Charging issue

I received a Sony Reader PRS-600 for Christmas and today I decided to charge it. Before I did I had turned it on, received the low battery message, and the reader turned off. I then read the instructions and plugged it into the computer using the USB adapter and left it charging for around 6 hours (the charging screen showed that it was charging). The computer did not go into standby mode and was on the entire time. I went back to turn on the charger, disconnected it from the computer, and it doesn't work. Whenever I turn it on it gives me the loading screen, but when it loads it says "No battery" and immediately shuts off. I'm unable to use it in any way. I tried plugging it in to another USB port and another computer completely and have the same issue. Half the time when I plug it in nothing shows up on the screen but there is a red light. Now it shows a charging screen but it still is not working.
ManiaIlya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:04 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, maniailiea.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 01:07 AM   #3
Fringecup
Enthusiast
Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'

Device: Sony Reader 600 Touch Edition
I bought my model 600 just before Christmas, but it was turned OFF when I plugged it into the computer. It was fully charged in 4 hours. My problem is with downloading Epub books (the free ones - not purchased ones; they work fine). They show up in my Firefox Download file and the Reader Library opens them, but it won't transfer them to my reader! And I can't locate the Download file in my computer to try transferring them manually.
-fringecup
Fringecup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:36 AM   #4
NightGeometry
Zealot
NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kindle 3G, Kindle DX
Fringecup - are you using Windows? Where are you downloading the books from (i.e. here, the Sony store, some other store, 'somewhere else')?
NightGeometry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 04:22 AM   #5
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
ALL my similar problems with a Sony, ManiaIlya, were solved when I got myself a mains charger. Others here have found that using the USB coupled to a PC simply doesn't do the job Sony claims it does and that the battery-level indicator on the reader ain't a reliable guide. Good luck. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 04:24 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
ALL my similar problems with a Sony, ManiaIlya, were solved when I got myself a mains charger. Others here have found that using the USB coupled to a PC simply doesn't do the job Sony claims it does and that the battery-level indicator on the reader ain't a reliable guide. Good luck. Neil
It's probably truer to say that "not all PC USB ports are created equal" when it comes to charging the Reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 05:04 AM   #7
nick101
Groupie
nick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600 Touch, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
It's true that the battery level indicator isn't accurate. Theoretically, you can calibrate it by running the battery down and then doing a full recharge 3 or 4 times, but that's very tedious indeed.
nick101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 06:03 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick101 View Post
It's true that the battery level indicator isn't accurate. Theoretically, you can calibrate it by running the battery down and then doing a full recharge 3 or 4 times, but that's very tedious indeed.
Why is it "tedious"? You don't need to actually do anything.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:59 AM   #9
nick101
Groupie
nick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600 Touch, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why is it "tedious"? You don't need to actually do anything.
True. But my habit is to put devices on charge overnight as a matter of course, and I have to force myself to resist the temptation. And every time I connect to add a book/periodical, it charges a bit, thus extending the agony. And, of course, the battery lasts a pretty long time anyway.

So I find it tedious (as in boring, not as in hard work).

A good way of relieving the tedium is to play some MP3s to speed up the process.

But, as you say, it's not exactly a demanding activity
nick101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:17 AM   #10
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
I take your point that not USB ports are created equal, Harry, but I did have early problem's trying to charge through my PC and through two new and powerful laptops. Maybe I was just three-times unlucky. But I do know that all my problems were fixed when I took advice here and got a mains charger. Never the slightest hitch since. For what it costs, it's certainly worth a try, I think. I do a lot of recreational reading (more than ever these days), but I find that a single mains charge per week keeps four cells lit on my battery level indicator and everything functions perfectly. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:18 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Oh, yes, I entirely agree - a PSP charger is much less hassle to use.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:22 AM   #12
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
I've read of this problem with Sony readers and it seems that there might be a simple explanation - ALL ereader devices made in the last few months have been rushed for Christmas.

And although the 300 & 600 have been in production longer than most of the others, there could still be "pre-season rush" errors. Or even shortages (and substitutions) of some minor parts.

This is why I didn't order the nook.

I once was a quality control inspector at an electronics components plant. I would reject batches only to have my supervisor send them back for re-approval.

So the answer to the Sony charging issue is that there may be a mechanical/software glich that causes problems charging with the USB connection.

In that case send it back (and hope that you get a better one) or pick up a PSP charger.

Point on the PSP charger - DO NOT get the cheapest you can find. A $3 charger is probably not the best bet.

P.S. - charging by USB has always worked for me.

Last edited by HorridRedDog; 12-27-2009 at 12:19 PM.
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:52 PM   #13
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
deleted

Last edited by Josieb1; 12-27-2009 at 04:12 PM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 04:16 PM   #14
spideog
Connoisseur
spideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-300
The USB ports on some PC's/laptops will not be giving out the same power as on other machines which then might not be enough to charge if the reader battery gets really low. You could even find that some ports on the same machine would give out different current depending on how it's all wired up internally. As said above though plugging into a powered USB hub should be getting you a decent enough power for charging, but you'll still always get a quicker charge from the stand alone mains powered charger.

I did see something in the brief manual for my PRS300 that said something along the lines of it taking an hour before the screen would come on to show that you were connected via USB if the charge was to get really low on the reader.
spideog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:20 AM   #15
ManiaIlya
ManiaIlya began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
Talking

Just responding to say that I finally got it to work after trying several USB ports and computers. After a few hours it charged fine and I haven't had any problems with it since, I'm honestly really enjoying it and feel that it's a quality device. I'm blaming the problem here on my fault USB ports, while I haven't had too many issues with charging on them there have been some.

Anyway, now that I"ve found a USB port that works, problem solved for me
ManiaIlya is offline   Reply With Quote