Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-19-2011, 02:33 PM   #1
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Philli free library and Open EPub Book

Looks like FLP made some changes. They now have separate icons for ebooks with DRM and without. The ones with DRM have a closed lock, and the ones without DRM have an open lock.

They haven't seemed to be adding much lately, but when I just checked, they added a whole bunch that are DRM free.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:41 PM   #2
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
That's always good to know. I've got to get a card and check them out. You would think I would have one already, since I am so close.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:44 PM   #3
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Don't get that worked up about DRM John its easily enough removed from the book so I would not get concerned about it. its easy enough to download an DRMed book, remove the DRM, return the book and read the book as long as you need. In fact my home county is thinking about how to work with the fact that DRM can be so easily removed rather than figiting the trend.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:02 PM   #4
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Come to think of it, I'm just assuming they don't have DRM, but maybe they do?

Under Digital rights they list, for books with the open lock:

Quote:
Digital Rights Information
Open EPUB eBook
Copy: allowed with no limitations
Print: allowed with no limitations
and for ebooks with the closed lock:

Quote:
Digital Rights Information
Adobe EPUB eBook
Copy: allowed, but limited to 50 selections every 7 days
Print: allowed, but limited to 50 pages every 7 days
Old 04-19-2011, 03:52 PM   #5
vulcan_girl
Groupie
vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350
I just noticed this today - I borrowed some Carina Press books that I'd been wanting to read.
vulcan_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:23 AM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Looks like it might be an Overdrive thing? The Singapore library appears to have the same icons.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:30 AM   #7
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I noticed this yesterday. Or rather, I didn't notice it at first. Borrowed a book, downloaded it and things didn't look like they used to... THEN I noticed the open ePub format.

I don't know if it has DRM or not, but in my Reader Library (where I send my library books) it doesn't have an expiration date.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:43 AM   #8
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
OK, did some testing, and it seems the book is DRM free. I does take up one slot of my allowed ten borrowed books, and I wasn't able to return it early (haven't played around much yet, so maybe it is possible). It won't be a problem for me, but it might be for someone else, so make sure to opt for an appropriate lending time!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:31 AM   #9
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
I saw this and was curious also; I queried FLP a couple of days ago, and here is the reply I just received:

Quote:
Open ebooks are EPUB and PDF formatted ebooks that do not have DRM (digital rights management). This means that they are not locked down with publisher restrictions. They can be transferred to any device that supports EPUB or PDF files.

Just like our MP3 collection, they do not actually expire, but you are required to delete them from your device after the loan period is up.

This is a brand new collection for us and we are interested in seeing how it goes. It is the first time we have been able to offer some of these publishers, as well, so it expands our collections to new titles.

Thank you for your interest,

Jennifer R Wright
Assistant Chief
Materials Management Division
Free Library of Philadelphia
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:34 AM   #10
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I noticed the locked icons on Clevnet this morning. I haven't seen any unlocked yet. I'll have to keep an eye out for them.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:43 AM   #11
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
OK, did some testing, and it seems the book is DRM free. I does take up one slot of my allowed ten borrowed books, and I wasn't able to return it early (haven't played around much yet, so maybe it is possible). It won't be a problem for me, but it might be for someone else, so make sure to opt for an appropriate lending time!
Thanks for the heads-up on not being able to return the Open ebooks books early; I normally choose 7 days for audio and mobipocket books, and 14 - 21 days for ePub/PDF because I can return them early. I'd hate to be forced to keep them that long.
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:50 AM   #12
Lsantiago7859
Enthusiast
Lsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Samsung 10.1 tablet, Nook HD+ and SONY PRS-T2
Hi, how does one remove DRM easily? From what I have seen, it is a real pain in the neck. I would pay for software that would do this, yes I am lazy to an extent LOL.
Lsantiago7859 is offline   Reply With Quote