Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-08-2011, 12:20 PM   #1
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Cheap and easy Android tablet for photos?

I'm asking here because many posters seem familiar with Android tablets:

Can anyone recommend a cheap and easy Android tablet for loading photos?

I was looking at digital photo frames for my parents, who are computer illiterate and who know limited English, and I thought maybe a limited Android tablet would work better. My brother or I would load photos on it for my parents from time to time. All they would do is look at the photos.

If they get comfortable with such a tablet, we'll try to introduce them to simple apps later (weather apps, etc.).

We'd want to load photos via USB or wi-fi as simply and quickly as possible. Neither my brother nor I have Android experience.

Thanks for any pointers.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:22 PM   #2
travfar
Groupie
travfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: laptop
Run to your local Kohl's and get the Novel for $60 before they send them all back. Or gamble at BBB or Dillard's to get it for $30 and $40 after rebate and PM. You won't find a better value for an Android tablet.
travfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:39 PM   #3
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
The tablets are heavier than 350 grams. So please think that. Second, get the one with good RAM and Processor. Try to get the ones with android 2.2. (And of course with capacitive touch! Not the resistive one that comes in chinese tablets!)

[But wait! If you want to wait a month or two, you will get best android tablets in market. Yes! Android 3.0 (Honeycomb) is here! Motorola showed off one at CES 2011.]
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:04 PM   #4
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookColor.........rooted
My mom is somewhat computer illiterate as well........I ended up listening to travfar.....
Just pulled down a sweet deal on a Pandigital Novel White from Bed, Bath and Beyond
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...60#post1323160

I will be giving 1 of them to my mom for her birthday.....even if she only were to use it as a picture frame.....it was a great deal.....when I'm done with it, it'll be a 2nd tier tablet as well.....

Certainly not in the same category as my nookcolor, but for the price.....you really can't go wrong.......

No disrespect to patilsaurabhr but......my parents would not even know what to do with the best tablet's on the market now..... and I wouldn't be able to afford them anyways.....

Last edited by The Joker; 01-08-2011 at 06:07 PM.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:56 AM   #5
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Thanks for the replies. I'll check out the Novel. For my parents' very limited uses, a serious tablet would be wasted.

Last edited by Maggie Leung; 01-09-2011 at 01:01 AM.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:39 AM   #6
Jaime_Astorga
Member Retired
Jaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS-350-SC: Sony Reader Pocket Edition
I would recommend one of Archos's Gen 8 tablets, all of which automatically update to Android Froyo 2.2.1 over wifi. Loading photos is easy; you just connect the device with a USB cable, which makes it show up as an external hard drive, and then copy or drag whatever photos you want into whichever folder you want (if you want to keep things simple, make a folder called "Pictures" and put them all there).

The only caveat is that the built-in image viewing software sucks. Fortunately, there's a solution; download Large Image Viewer from AppsLib (Android tablets can't access the market, which is restricted to phones) and set it to open images by default. It only does jpegs, but then again, if your photos aren't in jpg, you are doing something wrong.

Last edited by Jaime_Astorga; 01-09-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Jaime_Astorga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:55 AM   #7
travfar
Groupie
travfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime_Astorga View Post
(Android tablets can't access the market, which is restricted to phones)
That's not true. For one, the Pandigital Novel can access the market. Actually, there are a bunch of markets, not just the Google one. Regardless, the Novel can access the Google Marketplace.
travfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:39 AM   #8
thafrogggg
Rabid Book Weasel
thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Acer Iconia A500 Tablet (lovin' it!!)
My 10" Android tablet (Hype-pad from BuyaDroid) access the new Google market fine. I do not even need any "work arounds" to do it. It is a great tablet and makes a good book reader. Once I get a non-glare screen protector for it, it wil be great outdoors also.
thafrogggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:37 AM   #9
wheatfree
wheatfree doesn't litterwheatfree doesn't litter

Device: Pandigital Novel
Yeah, it's funny. Tablets are now coming "pre-hacked" to access the Android Market. I'm having fond, "I remember when," memories. I think pretty much every tablet coming out with android is either hackable to add market access or now coming with it.
wheatfree is offline   Reply With Quote