Kindle 2 is GREAT for surfing the web, and I'll give pointers below 0 0%
Surfing the web is just so-so, I can do it but hardly ever do. 16 44.44%
Do not get the kindle 2 if your main purpose is to surf the web 23 63.89%
Get the kindle 2 if you would like to surf the web for FREE 1 2.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-16-2009, 08:20 PM   #16
geneven
Member Retired
geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nokia N800, N810, Kindle 2
I use my Kindle 2 to check my email fairly often. I have a menu on my home screen called Quickbookmarks and the first selection on the menu is Yahoo Mail. I run the Mobile version of Yahoo Mail. It works fine. (You can easily make a menu like mine, btw; it didn't require anything difficult.)

I wouldn't hesitate to take my Kindle 2 with me on a cross-country trip and use the Kindle for communicating via email. Using a phone isn't all that high a priority for me -- before computers, people used to send postcards saying "wish you were here", remember them? Email is plenty of communication for most purposes.

I also am set up to get the mobile versions of the New York Times, Washington Post, and LA Times, all from bookmarks on my Home page -- it's too much trouble to go into the Experimental browser and Bookmarks when I can do it from my Home page. I use the mobile versions of all three papers.

Of course, if I want to use Google or Wikipedia -- and I do both frequently -- I can do that right from anywhere, since it's part of the Kindle's structure.

The service is slower than my home wireless and the lack of color is not that great, but all in all, Kindle wireless is very helpful, and the ability to use it practically anywhere at no cost was a pleasant surprise.

I think these Kindle readers are a passing phase -- I think that we will do many things on the Kindle of the future, including watching movies. I think we will pay a small fee for using wireless as much as we will. Many of us will leave our laptops at home and only take our color Kindles with us on vacation.

Last edited by geneven; 10-16-2009 at 08:29 PM.
geneven is offline   Reply With Quote