Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-03-2012, 07:38 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
John Ringo

John Ringo is one of those authors that I have ment to read his books but have never gotten around to doing so. Anyhow I would like to see what forum members think of his writting style? Has his books managed to grab you? Has his books left you craving the next volume in the series? I love that anticpation of the next book. Have you ever lost sleep over one of his books?

Last edited by jbcohen; 04-03-2012 at 08:00 AM.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:14 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I like most of John Ringo's stuff. But some people hate it. And some people just say "Oh, John Ringo, No!"

If you've never read any of his stuff before, perhaps A Hymn Before Battle is as good a place to start as any. Classic Mil SF. It's free, too.

Or if you'd like a shorter series, start with March Upcountry, the first of four books. Mill SF including a coming-of-age story. It's also free.

If fantasy is more your thing, Princess of Wands is good, and the long-awaited sequel, Queen of Wands should be out August.

But unless you're really into BDSM erotica and hero fantasies, don't start with Ghost! (Which is the book that started the "Oh, John Ringo, No!" meme.)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2012, 08:16 AM   #3
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What is your opinion of his writting style? Has he ever caused you to loose sleep over the books? Some authors have managed to do that to me over the years.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:28 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
He USED to write good SF. His last few books have been, to my mind, extremely unpleasant ultra-right-wing extremist political diatribes.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:31 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
What is your opinion of his writting style? Has he ever caused you to loose sleep over the books? Some authors have managed to do that to me over the years.
He writes good adventure. I certainly don't nod-off reading them.

HarryT is also right about some of the later books being horrendous right-wing political diatribes thinly disguised as fiction.

If you want a single recommendation, read the March Upcountry book. That'll tell you whether you like his writing style.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2012, 08:32 AM   #6
jbcohen
Wizard

How about his writting style?
Old 04-03-2012, 08:39 AM   #7
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I read A Hymn Before Battle just a couple of weeks ago. I really wasn't very impressed. I finished it, but have little interest in continuing the series. I felt there were too many viewpoints, some of which really didn't amount to anything (probably just setup for later in the series), and some inconsistency on what the tech could actually do.

I don't think I had any problems with his Honorverse stories in Service of the Sword, though.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:41 AM   #8
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
What is your opinion of his writting style? Has he ever caused you to loose sleep over the books?
No, but he will make you think about some things.

I would suggest you start with The Council Wars series.

HarryT must not have read Troy Rising series, it is very good first contract/mil sf.

Quote:
But unless you're really into BDSM erotica and hero fantasies, don't start with Ghost! (Which is the book that started the "Oh, John Ringo, No!" meme.)
Second that.

The Last Centurion is most likely to make some people lose sleep.

bernie

Last edited by gbm; 04-03-2012 at 08:42 AM. Reason: spelling
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #9
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
He's one of my guilty pleasures.

I very much enjoyed the March series. His worst excesses are tempered when he works with others.

Also enjoyed his Council Wars series. Thumbs up from me.

The Ghost series is mostly juvenile patriotic chest thumping. The BDSM is such a tiny part of what was distasteful in them.

I am not enamored of his version of the 'eternal champion,' who does show up in the Council Wars. Too juvenile. Too gung-ho. So conflicted over the most trivial issues in relationships. There are FAR more difficult challenges in relationships than what his heroes agonize over.

Lose sleep? No, he mostly makes me laugh.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:44 PM   #10
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
I don't know his earlier books which I believe are quite good. His later books which I have read are as Harry describes. Right wing diatribes

I regard him as the Ayn Rand of science fiction. I believe he might consider that to be a compliment but I certainly don't intend it as such.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:05 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The "Empire of Man" series ("March Upcountry", etc), which he wrote in conjunction with David Weber, are very good. I would certainly recommend those.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #12
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
How about his writting style?
He uses a conversational and very readable style. I don't mind an extreme right wing viewpoint if it is presented with logic. You won't find that in a John Ringo book.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:08 AM   #13
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The "Empire of Man" series ("March Upcountry", etc), which he wrote in conjunction with David Weber, are very good. I would certainly recommend those.
I second that recommendation. When he isn't on a right wing propaganda bender, which he is less prone to do when he's collaborating with another author, Ringo is a very capable writer with a fluent, entertaining style. He doesn't make me lose sleep, no, but when he's on his game, he certainly keeps me entertained.

I also recommend the Voyage of the Space Bubble series he co-wrote with Travis S. Taylor (Into the Looking Glass, Vorpal Blade, Manxome Foe, Claws that Catch).
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:41 AM   #14
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I like most of John Ringo's stuff. But some people hate it. And some people just say "Oh, John Ringo, No!"
Thanks for that link, hadn't come across it before. It's entertaining but, as the blogger seems compelled to buy every single book in the series, I don't think Ringo is going to lose any sleep over it. From what I can gather of his character he'd probably appreciate it, he definitely doesn't seem the type to back down from a criticism fight, in fact he'd probably regard a blog like that as a plus.
plib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:19 AM   #15
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by plib View Post
Thanks for that link, hadn't come across it before. It's entertaining but, as the blogger seems compelled to buy every single book in the series, I don't think Ringo is going to lose any sleep over it. From what I can gather of his character he'd probably appreciate it, he definitely doesn't seem the type to back down from a criticism fight, in fact he'd probably regard a blog like that as a plus.
John Ringo appears to have commented on the blog, saying he thinks it's a very fair and accurate review of the books!

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote