Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-10-2013, 02:14 PM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Not upgrading at this point?

For those of us who have decided not to upgrade at this point, what is it going to take to get us to upgrade to a new model?

Speaking for myself two things: I need a real compelling processor speed increase, something like 65% better then the paper white 1; or my current paper white (which as of this writing is doing just fine) stops working. My last upgrade from a Kindle three to a new paper white one was done because the kindle three simply would not turn on any more. The one before that was done because the Libra Pro became an expensive paper weight (it would not do anything); before that: cracked screen, before that stolen. I have been at this a while.

Last edited by jbcohen; 09-11-2013 at 10:05 AM.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:03 PM   #2
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I'm on the fence. I did pre order but cancelled. Ideally more storage, a bit more functionality, like the Kobo's integration with Pocket. Something else, but saying that until I see one in person I really won't be able to decide.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2013, 03:10 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
On the fence as well. I pre-ordered, but am thinking about canceling. The storage isn't ideal, but in reality it's got enough for what I normally use on a device. I do like Kindle firmware better than Kobo's, but wish the PW2 had an on/off switch for the light like the Kobo's do. Many folks upgraded from the K2 to the K3 for the Pearl screen and this (PW to PW2) seems like it'd be a similar upgrade.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:16 PM   #4
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I might upgrade, but I might go Kobo (for Canadian reasons). I love my K3, but I would like a lighted reader some evenings at home.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
A dead K4S
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2013, 08:51 PM   #6
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
I would need more storage. My current PW screen is pretty darn good. There are a lot of reference works that I want the option of carrying with me.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:13 PM   #7
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I am on the fence as well. Well, kind of.
A bigger screen would have me sold.
And I am not going to buy anything without 3g, so I am not really deciding yet.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:13 PM   #8
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
When someone figures out how to hack sound back on there.

not until.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:29 PM   #9
athenat
athenat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
If it truly is "white whiter" and "black blacker", I will consider the upgrade. I had to send back my first PW due to spots and extreme bluish tints, the one I have is good, no more spots but the ghosting is killing me. I brought mine in March as well so I'm gonna take my time. I want to hear others experience first. Will not pre-order.
athenat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:54 AM   #10
shemsha
Connoisseur
shemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: none
I have the K3 (and the lighted cover).
I believe that I will only replace it once it's dead.
Unless I am missing something, I can't see the added value I would get from a newer kindle.

Edit: I may also replace it if the lighted cover will stop working.

Last edited by shemsha; 09-11-2013 at 02:00 AM.
shemsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:14 AM   #11
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Assuming a reasonable price, I would have definitely gone for a larger screen. I never go anywhere, so portability isn't a major issue.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:50 AM   #12
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I wouldn't get a the PW2 unless either my K4NT breaks or Amazon opens a Dutch store.

I would love a PW2, however, at the moment I can't justify the costs added for shipping and tax of almost $60.

Last year I decided to upgrade from a K3 to the K4NT because of a better screen and smaller size (I hardly used the keyboard anyway) and that when the first PW would be available for international order I would get one. Keeping the K4 for when I was about and the PW for reading at home. However, after the screen blob problem I didn't order a PW and I've been very happy with my K4.

I love the extra options on the PW/PW2 but not enough to pay so much extra, for those $60 I can buy a case and some books!
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:23 AM   #13
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I might upgrade, but I might go Kobo (for Canadian reasons). I love my K3, but I would like a lighted reader some evenings at home.
I strongly advise against Kobo. The hardware is good, but the software and the permanent bugs are horrible. I have in my household and in my family a PW, 3 K4NT, a K3 (all three still working perfectly well), a prs-T1, a Nook Glowlight, a Kobo Aura HD and a Kobo mini. Guess which devices are not used at all anymore ? Both kobos. You just simply cannot rely on Kobo software update politic. Each time they get rid of one bug, it's to introduce 3 new ones. Some bugs never get rid of, because kobo just does not care (although customers are complaining enough). I am so done with them, and God knows I tried, I won't get near another Kobo with a ten foot pole.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:28 AM   #14
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
The only thing that would make me want to upgrade is either 32-bit color e-ink screen or 10x faster response to touch screen.

Last edited by Julius Caesar; 09-11-2013 at 06:34 AM.
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:43 AM   #15
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Smaller bezel, lighter weight, and higher storage, with the new screen and even lighting, and I would buy one, as long as I could enable custom fonts like I can on the current PW.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote