Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 02-24-2012, 01:30 PM   #1
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Unable to view "Just for Kobo Vox" content on Kobo Vox

I'm unable to read/view any of the Just for Kobo Vox content (for example, the recently released The Walking Dead Vol. 1, which I bought this morning) on my Kobo Vox. I think I have now figured out why.

Goodereader.com has a page with what they call "Essential Kobo Vox" apps. I agree, as it has links to the installers for Overdrive, Adobe Flash, Dolphin HD (a tabbed web browser), Netflix, and more. But listed under e-readers they linked to the Kobo app for Android. I downloaded it in curiosity of how it different from the native Vox reader app. Here's where I believe I screwed up. Instead of getting a second Kobo reader app, I seem to have replaced the native one.

The only difference I've noted is that it displays a Kobo splash screen (instead of a blank screen) when opening a book from the home screen. But I think the app no longer realises it's running on an actual Vox, I believe it thinks it's running on a generic Android tablet.

I haven't hacked my Vox in any way, simply downloaded a Kobo-created app through the Kobo Vox's native web browser, so I doubt I've run afoul of any rules (I didn't read anything against installing non-GetJar apps in the manual, and this was a Kobo authored app anyway).

Two possible solutions have occurred to me:

- wait for the rumoured February Kobo Vox update, and hope that it overwrites the downloaded Kobo reader app entirely and restores the ability to read the "Just for Kobo Vox" content

- contact customer service and see if there's a way to get them to help

Thoughts, anyone?
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:35 PM   #2
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapking View Post
Instead of getting a second Kobo reader app, I seem to have replaced the native one.
If this is true, I believe you have installed a user app over top of a system app. My understanding, is if you uninstall/remove the user app, the system app will again be available.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2012, 01:39 PM   #3
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
I didnt think it was possible to change the pre installed apps

I have only added a couple for apps the same as pre installed ones, and for me it created 2 identical entries in the all apps list

have you tried uninstalling the android kobo app, wondering if this re instates the original or doing a full reset, which I believe puts the system back as it was when purchased
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:35 PM   #4
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Yeah, I was repeating something someone more knowledgeable than I said in another thread. I also noted my scepticism in the preface.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:51 PM   #5
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
If this is true, I believe you have installed a user app over top of a system app. My understanding, is if you uninstall/remove the user app, the system app will again be available.
Thanks for that suggestion. I did that and purchased Vox content now works, but previews of Just For Kobo Vox stuff doesn't. Maybe they don't have previews?

Either way, thanks very much for the suggestion, it's got me on the right track!
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2012, 08:57 PM   #6
mr_nobody
Evangelist

Sorry, don't have any experience with the kobo store, maybe someone else knows.