Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-22-2012, 10:22 AM   #1
ralphiedee
Zealot
ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.

Device: none
Read Aloud support for Nook?

Currently I know two ways of creating Read Aloud Ebooks

First is the Elisabeth Castro method which allows creation of Fixed Layout Epubs with the Read Aloud feature ( hardcoding)

Second, there is an app for Apple called Ez EPub Creator, it bypasses the hardcoding method you would encounter when doing this the EC way. Both methods use smil files.

Is there ANYWAY that Kindle could support a Fixed Layout EPub generated from either of the TWO ways above?

or is there a THIRD method that Nook would support?

Thx

RD
ralphiedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:21 AM   #2
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
It's my impression that the underlying ePub presentation engine for the Nook is Adobe's Mobile Reader SDK. If so, I wouldn't expect the Nook to support text-to-speech unless Adobe adds it. Perhaps with ePub3's improved TTS features, they'll do so. In any case, the Nook STR/Glow don't have speakers/audio jack, so they'll never do TTS. I haven't checked, perhaps there are Android ePub readers today that support TTS using the Android TTS libraries.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote