Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-05-2010, 06:56 PM   #1
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Rising Kindle eBook prices.

I just noticed that "Fall of Giants" by Ken Follett sells its Kindle eBook version for $ 19.99 while its hardbook version sells for $ 19.39.

That's the first time I've seen an eBook version sell for MORE than a pBook version.

However, 985 pages makes it's Page/dollar value 49.27. Of the 60 eBooks on my Wish List it ranks 8 by its page/dollar value as follows:

1. Wilderness Warrior = 96.10
2. Titan = 83.28
3. Pride of Carthage = 61.14
5. 1491 = 60.28
6. The Great Upheaval = 52.96
7. The Israel Lobby = 49.65
8. The Fall of Giants = 49.27

It appears that some publishers are using my page/dollar value method of evaluating ebooks to actually set prices. That is really too bad. I hope others don't follow.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:24 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Slightly off topic but:
I'm so tired of seeing page after page of one-star reviews from Amazon readers pissed at ebook prices. Even if it were Amazon's fault, why punish Mr. Follet with negative reviews of his book? Write the publishers... email Amazon customer service, but don't give a book you haven't read a bad review. It doesn't make any sense. Amazon needs to start deleting every review that doesn't pertain to the book's content.

Back on topic:

Quote:
It appears that some publishers are using my page/dollar value method of evaluating ebooks to actually set prices. That is really too bad. I hope others don't follow.
I've started to notice the same thing myself and it is more than a little discouraging.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:56 PM   #3
kalex
Zealot
kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: sony
I have no problems with 1 start reviews. Author and publishers are intervened in this stupidity that they are trying to create so they both should suffer for this. Maybe with enough of these vocal reviews and bad publicity they will come to their senses and stop this lunacy. They have a great example they are following the music industry.
kalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:59 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Slightly off topic but:
I'm so tired of seeing page after page of one-star reviews from Amazon readers pissed at ebook prices. Even if it were Amazon's fault, why punish Mr. Follet with negative reviews of his book? Write the publishers... email Amazon customer service, but don't give a book you haven't read a bad review. It doesn't make any sense. Amazon needs to start deleting every review that doesn't pertain to the book's content.
There is an old thread on MR that deals with one-star reviews and it is really stupid to give a one-star review for a book you've never read and not for the content.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:00 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem is the Agency 5. Blame them and Apple for the the high eBook prices you are seeing. Do not blame Amazon or any other eBook store except the iBooks store.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:59 AM   #6
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Here in the UK I think most ebook prices are reasonable. Some brand new ebooks are priced over £10 which in my mind is ridiculous and I won't pay that for an ebook no matter how good the book is supposed to be - I simply wait until the price drops which it inevitably does.

If everyone decided to boycott buying ebooks over certain prices then publishers would have to take note - hit them with your wallets I say!

One tip I have is to place all ebooks you want - no matter what the price - into your Amazon wishlist. Prices fluctuate all the time. Just yesterday I bought a book for just over £2 which was previously over £5. And the new Terry Brooks book was originally £16 has now come down to £9.99 although I'm waiting for the price to drop a little more before I purchase it.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:41 AM   #7
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
To a certain extent though, it's the consumer's fault they are overpriced. Quite buying them. Publishers will eventually get the hint and lower prices.

Not to mention, stop reading something simply because Oprah and the NY Times tells you to read it. It's amazing how the internet can give you better access to little known stuff, but it seems to be having the opposite effect - people are only interested in the most popular stuff, be it books or movies or music, not to mention the total fixation on celebrities.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:58 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
A large book costs more to produce than a short book (more time to edit, etc); don't you think that should be reflected in the price? Would you expect a 200 page book to be priced the same as a 1000 page book?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:01 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
To a certain extent though, it's the consumer's fault they are overpriced. Quite buying them. Publishers will eventually get the hint and lower prices.
But are they overpriced? Let's take Mr. Follet's book; I would guess that it's going to take even the very fastest reader at least 10h to read. It costs $20, so that's $2 per hour. Do you honestly think that is too much to pay for good quality entertainment? It's far cheaper than practically any other form of entertainment that I can think of.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:07 AM   #10
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
One tip I have is to place all ebooks you want - no matter what the price - into your Amazon wishlist. Prices fluctuate all the time. Just yesterday I bought a book for just over £2 which was previously over £5. And the new Terry Brooks book was originally £16 has now come down to £9.99 although I'm waiting for the price to drop a little more before I purchase it.
Is there a way to get the Kindle prices to show on your wish list. I have loads of books in mine but have to keep going into each one and checking the price.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:05 AM   #11
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Is there a way to get the Kindle prices to show on your wish list. I have loads of books in mine but have to keep going into each one and checking the price.
Yes, I would like that as well. I'm also thinking of asking Amazongiftcards for my birthday.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:18 AM   #12
Qrun
Qrun began at the beginning.

Device: none
For a lot of books the eBook price is higher than the paperback version in libraries, which need to be print, transport, with a lot of additionnal intermediaries...

These to high prices will push people to the black market and the non-official copies.

The eBooks and eReader is a new market still confidential, but in the 1 to 3 years this market will grow exponentially... If Amazon and the publishers do not calibrate well the prices now, they will have to face the same problems as the majors with the CD/DVD market...

And when a bad habit is taken...
Qrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:38 AM   #13
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But are they overpriced? Let's take Mr. Follet's book; I would guess that it's going to take even the very fastest reader at least 10h to read. It costs $20, so that's $2 per hour. Do you honestly think that is too much to pay for good quality entertainment? It's far cheaper than practically any other form of entertainment that I can think of.
I agree with you Harry. $20 for a book like Fall of the Giants doesn't strike me as expensive. It is however a bit strange for the e-book to cost more than the paperback. The price difference is however negligible in this case and would not deter me from getting the e-book.
In fact I'm glad to hold my kindle instead of a brick-size book.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:50 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Let's not forget, too, that this is a newly-released hardback. The eBook price will almost without doubt fall when the paperback is released.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:01 AM   #15
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
No - it is really annoying. I sent it as a feature request to Amazon and got the usual standard email back thanking me for my contribution. Not sure if/when it will happen (though it would make sense to roll this in with an upgrade to be able to buy Kindle Books from Wish Lists, where timing for Christmas would be sensible).
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote