Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-27-2011, 06:25 AM   #1
stodge
Groupie
stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650SC
Sony PRS-650 battery problems

I'm having battery problems with my 650. I charged it two nights ago. Last night after minimal reading it was down to 50% and this morning it's down to 0. Is this a common problem with Sonys? I've only had it for A relatively short time.
stodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:24 AM   #2
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Stodge

try to completely shutdown and restart your e-reader. (settings -> shutoff)
(This will solves several problems with CPU / Sub-CPU not going into sleepmode)
HTH
Mark
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2011, 08:46 AM   #3
stodge
Groupie
stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks! I had to shut it off this morning anyway as the battery was completely drained. I'll restart and see what happens.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:22 AM   #4
Extragooey
Extragooey has learned how to read e-booksExtragooey has learned how to read e-booksExtragooey has learned how to read e-booksExtragooey has learned how to read e-booksExtragooey has learned how to read e-booksExtragooey has learned how to read e-booksExtragooey has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-T1
This was my problem with my PRS-650. Just seems like an usually high battery usage during sleep mode. I ended up just shutting down completely every time I was not using it. Battery life lasted about a month or so with about 1-2 hours of usage everyday.
Extragooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:23 AM   #5
stodge
Groupie

Strangely, this only happened after applying the latest update for the reader.
Advert
Old 10-27-2011, 09:50 AM   #6
fafaforza
Zealot
fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Aura ONE
I had that happen a few times, somewhat randomly. The last time it happened was after a full shutdown and restart. Ever since then, I haven't done a full shutdown, not even an automatic inactivity shutdown, and haven't had this issue.

You might try turning off sleep mode, see if that helps.
fafaforza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:26 PM   #7
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
I have had this experience once with my 650.

After a full recharge it dropped to 50% in one day and the following morning it was almost flat. All I did was a soft reset via the button on the bottom and all was fine again.

Hopefully after a reset yours will be OK too.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:01 PM   #8
Kiwimick
Addict
Kiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five words

Device: Sony PRS650
It can also be down to how it is charged. You seem to get a better charge with a wall charger. If it has been charged via the USB it might not be fully charged even though it shows full. Think it is down to the computer going into sleep mode.
Kiwimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:23 PM   #9
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
This happens to me, too. And yes, the soft reset fixes it...until the next time.

It seems to me it happens after I've loaded more books to it from Calibre, but to be honest, I haven't really tested that theory. It just seemed a pattern.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:53 AM   #10
azlkk
azlkk began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, iPad
I think that it's a design flaw. We've had the sudden discharge problem on two different 600s and one 650. With Sonys lousy service we just live with now. Shutting them down seems to work but doesn't help the startup time.
azlkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:44 PM   #11
Swati Rao
Swati Rao began at the beginning.

Device: Sony ereader P650
Hi folks am new to this forum! So grin and bearit. Sony prs 650 just over a year old and the battery is dead as a dodo. Does not charge on the mains or anything. Does not reset. I don't want to buy a new one and can't go back to carrying books on the tube ( live in London). Does replacing batteries from' new.....99' available in amazon really work. Has anyone the actually done it ? It's stuck on a screen which says ' no battery power. I am unable to switch in on or off? If it makes sense.
Any input is appreciated. Please tell me that there are more options than 'buying a new one' as suggested by Sony staff in UK

S
Swati Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:35 PM   #12
fafaforza
Zealot
fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Aura ONE
No experience myself but it should be cheap enough to try. Are the amazon reviews any good?
fafaforza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:23 AM   #13
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I wonder if installing the PRS+ custom software would help to solve any problems? I have no idea, just throwing something out there. It might not hurt to try.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:44 AM   #14
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swati Rao View Post
Hi folks am new to this forum! So grin and bearit. Sony prs 650 just over a year old and the battery is dead as a dodo. Does not charge on the mains or anything. Does not reset. I don't want to buy a new one and can't go back to carrying books on the tube ( live in London). Does replacing batteries from' new.....99' available in amazon really work. Has anyone the actually done it ? It's stuck on a screen which says ' no battery power. I am unable to switch in on or off? If it makes sense.
Any input is appreciated. Please tell me that there are more options than 'buying a new one' as suggested by Sony staff in UK

S
I did get the battery from them (cost me about $45 all said) and followed the install instructions on my prs505. Unfortunately my ribbon cable got kinked/slightly torn and the reader was then unusable so I was out $45...It appears that this happens frequently from comments I've read. I ended up buying a T1 to replace it. Unless you really, really love your 650, you might prefer to invest that money on a new, improved device...
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #15
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
I wonder if installing the PRS+ custom software would help to solve any problems? I have no idea, just throwing something out there. It might not hurt to try.
As we get sporadic issues regarding spontanous battery drain, and we don't target any power-related issues with PRS+, I don't think that PRS+ will help with this, OTOH PRS+ shouldn't cause this either.
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote