Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 01-08-2007, 07:47 AM   #1
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
manifest.xml templates

Hallo,

I posted here the manifest.xml templates that I use all the time. Nothing new, but why not?
3 templates are included for html, pdf, & directory.

Why do I need to have manifest.xml templates?
[1] It's much faster than tagging your files "online" on your iLiad, you can't set an image this way.
[1] You can tag directories with title, description, & image! [-> much more sweeter contentlister]

iLiad's contentlister uses UTF-8 encoding, that's the reason why your iLiad doesn't like your manifest.xml edited on PC if you use characters like German Umlaute äüä or French accent grave without bothering with encoding.
The fun part is iLiad can read iso-8859-1 encoding & converts it on-the-fly to UTF-8 when it saves the file the first time. Therefore templates' encoding is iso-8859-1. What is the pro? You can use the letters on your keyboard without any worries.

Usage of xml-templates
#Copy contents of zip-file to where you want, have a look on iLiad's contentlister to find out what is possible.
# Use one of the "Use this 3 templates [x].zip" to tag your documents.[*]
Edit the sections which are marked red in the pdf sample below.
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
<!--manifest file for pdf files-->
<package>
<metadata>
<dc-metadata>
	<Title>TITLE</Title>
	<Description>DESCRIPTION</Description>
	<Date>2007-01-01T00:00:00</Date>
	<Format/>
	<Identifier/>
	<Language/>
	<Type/>
</dc-metadata>
<y-metadata>
	<startpage>FILENAME.pdf</startpage>
	<image>cover.png</image>
	<version>000</version>
</y-metadata>
</metadata>
</package>
You can use png & jpg files as images, no gif please.
Optimal size of image is 69x93 pixels, but you can user other dimensions, image gets scaled in contentlister. iLiad can handle dimension larger than 1000 pixel without any problems.

Sticky: Please don't use the character "&" in Title, Description, & Filenames. iLiad doen't like &s.
[*] I have included 3 "Use this 3 templates [x].zip" files, because when you open a xml with single Line Feed character in Windows' notepad it looks strange because Windows terminates each line with a Carriage Return and Line Feed pair. Enough with technical stuff. Have fun with them.

[EDIT]
Iso-8859-1: "ISO 8859-1 encodes what it refers to as "Latin alphabet no. 1," consisting of 191 characters from the Latin script."
UTF-8
Attached Files
File Type: zip manifest.xml_templates.zip (68.4 KB, 1167 views)

Last edited by yokos; 01-10-2007 at 07:35 AM. Reason: wikipedia hl
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 05:19 PM   #2
Bert
Enthusiast
Bert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with others

Device: iRex iLiad, PRS-600
Hi,

Is it possible to hide the Manifest.xml file when using the 'directory' manifest? I am trying to put the rediculously large rectangles in the directory listings to some use by adding a directory description, but there is always a manifest.xml shown in the list (which is useless!).
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2007, 03:00 PM   #3
Bert
Enthusiast
Bert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with others

Device: iRex iLiad, PRS-600
Lightbulb

Hi all,

After some more experimenting, I found the solution myself.
To add a directory description (and/or an icon), without showing the manifest.xml, do the following:
- move the content from the directory_with_description to a subdirectory inside the directory (ex: to dir_with_descr/content_dir/)
- add following manifest.xml to the directory_with_description (ex: in dir_with_descr/manifest.xml)
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<package>
	<dc-metadata>
		<Title>Title of the Directory</Title>
		<Description>Description of the Directory</Description>
		<Date>2007-01-01T00:00:00</Date>
	</dc-metadata>
	<y-metadata>
		<image/>
		<version>000</version>
	</y-metadata>
	</metadata>
	<directory>
		<content>content_dir</content>
	</directory> 
</package>
So to sum it up, the directory structure should be:
Code:
	- dir_with_descr
		+ manifest.xml
		+ content_dir
			+ file1.pdf
			+ file2.pdf
When I tried this, I expected that it would be impossible to leave the subdir once you entered it, because when you go up one directory, you would be redirected to the subdir - I thought. But it seems the iRex people thought of that too ... because it works fine!

Another tiny tip: If you want to enter a description with two lines, just use the xml line feed ( &#10; ) or carriage return ( &#13; ).

Cheers,
Bert
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:10 AM   #4
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Thanks for the tip Bert, I will try this later.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 05:19 AM   #5
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
I found that the contentlister will not display a directory with prefix '_'.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2008, 11:59 AM   #6
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
Thanks to Bert's info. It helps me a lot.
I hereby present my small improvement to Bert's manifest template:
Replace "<content>content_dir</content>" with "<content>./</content>", then you don't need to create a "content_dir".
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:29 PM   #7
TurboProp
TurboProp began at the beginning.

Device: Rex iLiad, Blackberry Curve
Had some spare time...

This is great! Add icons to the mix and you can get something like this without too much effort! Thank you for the info guys!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iLiad_Books.png
Views:	1068
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	11821  
TurboProp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 02:06 AM   #8
gsm
gsm began at the beginning.

Device: iRex Iliad 2nd ed.
manifest of Thumbnail image

Good you please send me the manifest for your thumbnail image example. I would appreciate that. I am very new at this and any examples would be helpful.

thanks
gsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 06:16 PM   #9
Kiba
Kiba began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
Hello.

I'm interested by the tag <language>. Can somebody say me more about that ?

Thanks
Kiba is offline   Reply With Quote