Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-23-2010, 05:10 PM   #106
rock
Addict
rock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Nook, Astak EZ Reader Pocket, iPhone 3g, Droid
Any suggestions. They have some on the internet archive from 1905 for free

I may go with the dummies, only 16 bucks in ebook form.
rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:22 PM   #107
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock View Post
Any suggestions. They have some on the internet archive from 1905 for free

I may go with the dummies, only 16 bucks in ebook form.
Probably not a lot of Relativity and Quantum mechanics in those then.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2010, 06:01 PM   #108
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinParish View Post
Allow me to second the recommendation for Dan Falk, Time: In Search of a Curious Dimension. Awesome book - well worth a look.
Tried to buy this for my Sony but it is only available in Canada. Anybody know any site that sells it in the US?
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:06 PM   #109
rock
Addict
rock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Nook, Astak EZ Reader Pocket, iPhone 3g, Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Tried to buy this for my Sony but it is only available in Canada. Anybody know any site that sells it in the US?
Have you tried www.inkmesh.com ?

edit:

Looks like only amazon has it.

Last edited by rock; 04-23-2010 at 06:09 PM.
rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:11 PM   #110
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock View Post
Have you tried www.inkmesh.com ?
Yes, but it only shows it available on Amazon and the Sony Store and the Sony version is only for sale in Canada. Shoot
Advert
Old 04-23-2010, 06:12 PM   #111
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
amazon.com (kindle) $9.99
sony ebooks (epub) $12.60
mobipocket (mobi) $18.00
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:13 PM   #112
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just received Susan Blackmore's - The Meme Machine it is one of the "core" books as far as the study of Memes.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:09 PM   #113
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Just received Susan Blackmore's - The Meme Machine it is one of the "core" books as far as the study of Memes.
I enjoyed the Blackmore speech at TED that you turned me on to, and I imagine her books are equally enjoyable. I wonder if she gets into her theory of Temes in that book?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:57 PM   #114
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I enjoyed the Blackmore speech at TED that you turned me on to, and I imagine her books are equally enjoyable. I wonder if she gets into her theory of Temes in that book?
I'll let you know....
Old 04-23-2010, 09:47 PM   #115
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angst View Post
amazon.com (kindle) $9.99
sony ebooks (epub) $12.60
mobipocket (mobi) $18.00
If you go to the Sony site using their Reader software, you'll see it's for sale in Canada only.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:49 PM   #116
prodygi
prodygi began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I really like Carl Sagan. Anything that he has wrote is good. I hate that he is gone... I also like Richard Dawkins; although not on quite the same level.
prodygi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:52 PM   #117
prodygi

I've read Kaku's books. I would recommend any of them.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:53 PM   #118
prodygi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
That is a good one!

I just ordered a used P-book copy of it.

Here's a you-tube:

thanks for this...
Old 04-30-2010, 08:45 AM   #119
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I just watched Creation, and it strikes me as historically questionable. I find it hard to believe, for example, that the Great Naturalist could see and speak with his dead daughter. Also the character of Charles Darwin seemed wrong. I had a hard time believing that the man portrayed in the movie could string 10 coherent sentences together, much less write a foundational work of scientific literature like The Origin of Species.

Two questions:

(1) Can anyone recommend a good non-fanciful biography of the man?

(2) Has anyone read his autobiography?

Thanks!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:56 AM   #120
kennyc

Tom, it that the one that was "panned" by the theaters/critics here in the U.S.?

I watched a multipart dramatized biography on PBS .... sorry my alzheimers is preventing me remembering the name, but I thought it was well done. (I don't usually like dramatizations)

AH, I think it was this one I saw:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/beta/ev...kest-hour.html