Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-01-2013, 07:41 AM   #1
thesandman
thesandman began at the beginning.

Device: None.
Pocketbook Color Lux?

Hi all,

I'm really interested in purchasing the Pocketbook Color Lux but have been hard pressed to find information for those outside of Europe. I've tried e-mailing the developers to no avail. Does anyone have any information as to how someone from Australia would be able to obtain a Pocketbook Color Lux?

All help and information is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.
thesandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:38 AM   #2
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Send a pm to Forkosigan. Although he is responsible for Germany he should be able to give you help or advise.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2013, 12:04 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Is it actually available yet? I know it was scheduled to be released in June, but was it?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:37 PM   #4
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, it wasn't. At least it is not available through their German website nor has Forkosigan announced it in the Pocketbook forum here.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:00 PM   #5
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
No, it wasn't. At least it is not available through their German website nor has Forkosigan announced it in the Pocketbook forum here.
The German support told me that the device will be available in July.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2013, 02:33 AM   #6
Billi
Wizard

Thanks for this information, joblack!
Old 07-02-2013, 02:48 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Note that this is a Triton eInk screen, which is simply a colour mask placed on top of a normal black and white eInk device. The colours are weak and unsaturated (although the frontlight may improve this to some extent), and the colour mask halves the linear resolution. Other Triton devices (such as the Jetbook Color) have been poorly received.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:53 AM   #8
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Is it actually available yet? I know it was scheduled to be released in June, but was it?
The release was delayed. My local distributor posted info that it will not be available for at least next 7 days.

I would wait for the first bunch of reviews before ordering. The technology is very new and there are many things that can go wrong.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:33 AM   #9
JakeBadlands
JakeBadlands ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JakeBadlands ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JakeBadlands ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JakeBadlands ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JakeBadlands ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JakeBadlands ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JakeBadlands ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JakeBadlands ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JakeBadlands ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JakeBadlands ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JakeBadlands ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Color Lux
Arrow Release date, and possible help

Yes, I could confirm that release date have been shifted.
Could not tell the exact day, but it is going to be late July - early August.

Currently I live in Russia, and able to help you to get Pocketbook Color Lux if you so greatly want,
with a really small profit: could buy in shop when it become available, then send using international shipping service of Russian Post. However, we are unable to receive PayPal payments in Russia, available payment terms do not support buyer's protection, as far as I know; also, I am not a prominent member of this forum; so, there is a serious trust issue as you see

By the way, I have the same views as kacir (not making a preorder, just wait for first reviews and then buy if they are good)

Last edited by JakeBadlands; 07-05-2013 at 04:37 AM.
JakeBadlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:15 AM   #10
malte
malte began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesandman View Post
I'm really interested in purchasing the Pocketbook Color Lux but have been hard pressed to find information for those outside of Europe. I've tried e-mailing the developers to no avail. Does anyone have any information as to how someone from Australia would be able to obtain a Pocketbook Color Lux?
There are two reasons to wait.
1. colour e-ink screens have not caught on, have a bad reputation and are not being used by the big vendors. If Amazon or Barnes and Noble release a machine with one, there is a good chance that colour e-ink is comsumer-ready.

2. Have a look in the pocketbook fora. The number of software bugs is scarey. If they cannot make a reader with simple functions like a reliable USB connection, it does not matter how good the screen is.
malte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:00 AM   #11
Ansileran
Zealot
Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kobo Aura HD, Cybook Odyssey HD
I'm not sure if I would say the colour e-ink screens aren't market ready. They do display some color after all. If there is a clearly defined customer target then it could be fine (eg. textbook reading). If you expect it to supplant lcd screens, then of course it isn't ready.

I think colour readers haven't caught on in the educational field because the softwares of those devices aren't market ready and they are way too expensive. 500€ for the jetbook 2 is equivalent to the cost of a laptop, which a student would still need...
Ansileran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:42 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansileran View Post
I'm not sure if I would say the colour e-ink screens aren't market ready. They do display some color after all.
The basic issue is that they aren't "real" colour screens, but B&W screens with a colour mask on top, and that drastically impacts both clarity and resolution. I'm sure that the genuine colour eInk screens (and similar technologies) that we'll have in the next few years will be a lot better.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:23 AM   #13
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Hope this link works:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf3ivdKj9SM

IMO it looks awful. Definitely not worth the money.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:00 AM   #14
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Here's the review from Good e-reader http://goodereader.com/blog/
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:34 AM   #15
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The basic issue is that they aren't "real" colour screens, but B&W screens with a colour mask on top, and that drastically impacts both clarity and resolution. I'm sure that the genuine colour eInk screens (and similar technologies) that we'll have in the next few years will be a lot better.
Of course the next years technology will be better but that 'progress property' is not Eink specific.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote