Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-04-2010, 09:48 PM   #1
crystalwaterdanc
crystalwaterdanc began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 600/Kobo
Considering for my child

I have a daughter, who is 10. She like to try and steal my Sony Reader and check out the books I have on it. She has asked for a SR, but I cannot afford one for her. We saw the Kobo Chapters, and she got to fiddle with it. She started reading Alice in Wonderland and I had to practically drag her out of the store. Once in the car she promptly asked if she could buy one with her allowance.

So I have a couple questions before I decide if this is a cool thing for her or not. I am really a total noob at all this stuff, I use the reader software that came with my SR, and I figured out how to get the pub dom books onto it. I also figured out by pure dumb luck how to work our local library system for the SR.

Will the Kobo work basically the same as the SR does? I think I read that I will need adobe to transfer books onto it. Right? Am I able to put pub dom books on the Kobo? Library books? I have heard that it is impossible to remove the books that come preloaded on it. Is this true? If it is possible to remove those books, am I able to put them onto the SR for me, as most will be too advanced for her to read?

If you made it through my questions I thank you in advance for helping me out! So does my little voracious reader child!
crystalwaterdanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:09 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The software on the Kobo isn't good enough to recommend the device yet. Software can get better over time, but updates can also take forever to arrive. So it is best to wait for the software to get fixed before buying.

Since you already have a PRS-600, why not buy a PRS-300? This is now relatively inexpensive ($149 in the US), likely better constructed than the Kobo, and you only have to deal with one company's software. If Kobo has the ebooks you want, you can still buy ePubs from them and read them on both Sony's. A single AdobeID account works with six desktop computers and six reading devices, so you only need one account for both Readers.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:04 PM   #3
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
The Kobo is a good choice for you -- it's available locally from a real bricks and mortar store and sold by a Canadian (woman) entrepreneur who makes a great role model for a young person.

Yes, it works easily with the public library using Overdrive. I have that working with the Toronto Public Library. The instructions could be clearer ... but it works fine. If you got that working for the Sony you already have, you should be fine with Kobo.

You could remove all the books that come pre-loaded ... they are all public domain and could be added in again, for free, later, from sources like ... mobileread and Project Gutenberg. Plus -- although I haven't checked every one -- you ought to be able to download ALL the 100 titles directly from the Kobo bookstore, for free. That is the source of these, after all.

What I really like about the Kobo is, at the price, it is a stripped down ereader that provides, well, reading, and nothing else. And nothing else to distract young minds: give her "Alice in Wonderland" or "Wizard of OZ" or whatever drives her interests and encourages her to read. What's that skill worth? Bells and whistles can come later.

The Kobo also comes with a one year warranty and I'd be willing to bet you'll find an easier exchange at Indigo -- a place that actually sells books -- than a Sony Style store or a Future Shop where selling 3D HDTVs is the focus of the business.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:39 PM   #4
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
I'd be inclined to wait a month or two to see how fast some software upgrades come. Both the reader and the desktop software have some annoying bugs right now. In a couple of months, either Kobo will have newer software, or the busy beavers here will have some workarounds for most problems.

If she needs to save up for a bit, that's your perfect excuse for waiting...
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:45 AM   #5
StealthyScribe
Feverish
StealthyScribe began at the beginning.

Device: Black Kobo
I'm with SensualPoet on this one. I think it'd be a great eReader for your daughter, and I don't even have mine yet. I've done a lot of research on eReaders and if I were buying one for a child, I'd go with this one. It's a bare bones, a straight forward, affordable eReader without a bunch of bells and whistles.

I'm honestly a little worried about how the books are uploaded onto the reader because there are a lot of people who have had problems but there are also a lot of people who haven't had any.

I imagine if you do your research and read the helpful threads you shouldn't have any problems and you'd have one happy 10 year old on your hands!
StealthyScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:50 AM   #6
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I think that wallcraft has the right idea. I've come to the conclusion that all eBook readers have inadequate firmware when they are brand new, and that it is a bad idea to be the first one on your block to have a specific model.

A jetBook Lite cannot use library books, but three websites sold it for $99 in the past three weeks, so for a ten-year old that might be the way to go.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:17 AM   #7
bandsaw
bandsaw began at the beginning.

As far as PD books are concerned, you can just drag and drop them onto the reader's root directory. No need to use the kobo software which I agree is a bit hokey.
bandsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:54 AM   #8
lchen
Connoisseur
lchen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo EReader
Crystalwaterdanc, I'd also recommend the Kobo for your child. Happy you are encouraging daughter with the joy reading. God bless.
lchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:08 AM   #9
juiceless
Enthusiast
juiceless began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I think this would be great for a kid. Just load a couple of books on there to tide her over until the firmware revisions come in, and you'll be good to go.
juiceless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:28 AM   #10
DArenson
ebookworm
DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo, Kindle
I recommend the Kobo for your daughter. I own a Kobo myself. There is a *slight* learning curve how to buy books and load them into the reader, but within an hour, I was very comfortable using the Kobo and the Kobo store. You do need to install Adobe software, but it's fairly easy to do, and I was set up pretty quickly and buying books. If you do buy the Kobo, and run into trouble, feel free to email me (there's a contact form on my website, www.DanielArenson.com), and I can help you.
DArenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 03:01 PM   #11
ttluisa
Enthusiast
ttluisa began at the beginning.

Device: kobo, kindle 3
Count my vote for Kobo. I just got mine and it works great with adobe digital edition. Once the reader is plugged in, the ADE recognize it right away and shows a kobo icon on the left side, then you drag whatever DRM free books already in your ADE into the Kobo icon, easy. I agree that this is kind of an early model but I've read there blog and it seems to me that they're pretty serious about all the feedbacks so I have no doubt all the glitches will be improved later.
As many people says it is a great affordable ereader. All the pre-loaded books are public domain books available for free download over internet so you can get them for you as well. I think those classics are rather good for your little one. I personally had been encouraged to read classics as young as I was 8, and I just went for help from my parents or teacher for more advanced contents.

Last edited by ttluisa; 05-05-2010 at 05:58 PM.
ttluisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 03:13 PM   #12
Turt99
Connoisseur
Turt99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I think its a great device for a beginner, if you are using Public Domain books you can just get an SD card (I had an old 128mb one from an older camera) load the books on that and put it in the device.

DRM books are going to be a little different, but you'll have plenty of time to play with that before she is finished reading the free books or public domain books.
Turt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:11 PM   #13
NotchJ
NotchJ began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
My daughter is 8. We saw the Kobo on Global news and she was going to the mall anyway so I told her to check it out. She loved it so much that she helped pay for it with her own money.

She's on chapter 10 of Alice in Wonderland and loving it. It's a great device for kids like my Grade-3'er.
NotchJ is offline   Reply With Quote