Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-28-2012, 11:08 PM   #1
bennyrz
bennyrz began at the beginning.

Device: arc
Arc-problems transferring books

So I got the new kobo arc and wanted to transfer some books my dad has on his vox. I've read that ADE doesn't support arc yet, so all the time I've tried transferring the books with that have been a waste.
I downloaded all the books from the kobo online library and loaded them onto ADE, calibre and kobo desktop.
Whenever I follow the guides to transfer the books from whichever app I run into problems, mostly it's because the app won't recognize my arc.
For the kobo desktop app my dads kobo and my kobo are on 2 different accounts, so it will only recognize either kobo if I'm logged on to the right account eg logged on dads account, recognize the vox but not arc.
For calibre, I have all the books in the library but when I plug the arc in nothing comes up, no matter how long I wait or if I try replugging the arc, or restarting calibre then plugging the arc in. I read about a method with calibre to use the connect to folder option to transfer the books, but when I do that it doesn't see my kobo in my computer, it see's my other drives fine. When I open my computer I can see arc in portable devices and what looks like a mp3 player icon. I've also tried another method with calibre to send them via email, but when I try that it takes 5mins then tells me an error occurred and it couldn't send(from my gmail to my hotmail).
I've tried a method I read about where I would go into the kobo directory, create a books folder and drag the books into it. I thought this was going to work when I went into my library on my kobo, clicked import content, but then it says "sorry something went wrong and we could not import all of your items, please try again", strangely the only one to get imported was the calibre help guide...
What am I doing wrong? is there some option on the kobo to authorize it to communicate with my computer? I'm able to open it's directory so shouldn't be that. I have the latest versions of calibre etc. Running windows vista, I've been reading online for the past day and a half on how to fix this but no luck.
bennyrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:10 AM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Arc-problems transferring books

The Kobo desktop issue is not an issue. It's doing exactly what it is designed to do. When my daughter plugs her Kobo Touch into my computer when she wants to purchase a book, it shows her purchases/library, her recommendations, her wishlist, etc. She even gets to use her own credit card to pay for purchases.

As for Calibre, you are going to have to wait for the driver Calibre uses to talk to the hardware to be created. Last time I played with a friend's Kobo Vox, I had to attach it in USB disk mode for Calibre to recognize it.

For ADE, it is not on the Adobe supported devices list so you are out of luck until it is. Oddly, the Kobo desktop app for Windows does show as a support device. The friend with the Vox was using an application called Overdrive Media Console to allow him to directly download library books to his Vox without going through his computer and ADE. I'm not sure if this application would work on the Arc though it was a more or less standard Android app so it should work.

Regards,
David
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:57 AM   #3
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Any epubs I have that are DRM free I've transferred by or google drive to my arc and then imported into the kobo app using the import content option.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:25 PM   #4
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RareBird View Post
Any epubs I have that are DRM free I've transferred by or google drive to my arc and then imported into the kobo app using the import content option.
Dropbox should work as well.
Try adding a different reader software to your Arc like Aldiko. You can then authorize it for ADE in the settings (your dad's id) if the books are still DRM'd, and get your books from the Calibre server, Dropbox or Google Drive using Aldiko and your wifi network without connecting to the PC.

See this link for instructions on using Calibre server with Aldiko. Note that this works with the free version of Aldiko too.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...99&postcount=2

Last edited by Cdesja5; 12-29-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote