Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-09-2012, 12:39 PM   #10351
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
How called the dwellers of Lyn-dun?
Cockney?
Great Homer's tale of Troy,
Illiad
Or country of the midnight sun -
Norway
What doth all men Destroy?
Death

Against it man hath dashed his foot,
Dirt?
This angel bears a spear!
In garden-glade where Lord Christ preyed
Gethsemene
What spawns dark stars and fear?
Night?

This place the white Diana rose
Ephesus
Of this, Dido bereft;
Aenaas?
Where on four leaves good fortune grows
[something to do with clover]
East, west, south - what is Left?
North

The Corsican was vanquished there,
Waterloo.
Oh, mother of all sin!
Eve
Find green the same as shiretown's name,
Lincoln
Find Newgate Gaol, and win!
The Dwellers of Lyn-dun is a lot older than cockney. They have their name from the once marshy region in which they live. I believe we have to go back to 15th century England to find the origin of the name.

Dirt is almost correct, but it's not the correct word. It's a lot harder than dirt.

It is indeed from the night the stars and fears and dark dreams comes.
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:45 PM   #10352
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

To summarize:

Illiad - pdurrant
Norway - Bookpossum
Death - Bookpossum

Gethsemene - pdurrant
Night - pdurrant

Ephesus - Bookpossum
Of this, Dido bereft;
Ireland - Hamlet53
North - pdurrant

Waterloo - Bookpossum
Oh, mother of all sin!
Eve - pdurrant
Lincoln - Bookpossum

pdurrant has 5 points
Bookpossum has 5 points
Hamlet53 has 1 point

There are 5 points left, pluss decoding the message

Time for some hints:

See previous post

See previous post

This is not a well-known angel like Gabriel or Michael, so I guess this one will get difficult. As a first hint I present to you a painting:

The spear reveals the true form of Satan in Milton's poem, Paradise Lost. There is another angel involved - Zephon.

Of this, Dido bereft;
See previous post

Where could the gallows at Newgate be found?

Last edited by Iznogood; 12-09-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:06 PM   #10353
Iznogood
Guru

Since I'm very fond of art, I post a different version of the scene I presented above:

From the Cleveland Museum of Art:
Fuseli’s lifelong interest in the work of the British poet John Milton (1608-1674) inspired many drawings that interpreted passages from Milton’s epic poem Paradise Lost (1667). This early example illustrates the moment when the angels XXX and Zephon discover Satan disguised as a toad in the bower where Adam and Eve lie sleeping. XXX forces Satan to reveal himself by prodding him with a spear. The lion in the background alludes to an earlier passage in the poem, when Satan takes on the shape of the beast in order to spy on the couple.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:42 PM   #10354
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Against it man hath dashed his foot: rock or stone?

Dido bereft: happiness?

I imagine the gallows at Newgate were in front of the gaol, given that public hangings were popular in the past.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:16 AM   #10355
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Just total guesses (so it's OK to laugh )....

The Dwellers of Lyn-dun: Celts? before William Wallace Galic?

Against it man hath dashed his foot: the earth?

Dido bereft: A woman or goddess? unconsolable?

Find Newgate Gaol, and win!: London? There was a bbc program about the prison being rebuilt more than once and it has moved I think.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:16 AM   #10356
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay, I think it must be time for some answers, Iznogood.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:10 AM   #10357
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I think I killed the thread with my attempt at answers.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:52 AM   #10358
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

Or maybe it was mine, so I'll share the guilt with you! May as well have a drink while we wait.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:32 AM   #10359
Iznogood
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Okay, I think it must be time for some answers, Iznogood.
Answer time is long overdue. Sorry I forgot the whole thing - I've had finals and problems at work on my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I think I killed the thread with my attempt at answers.
Quote:
Or maybe it was mine, so I'll share the guilt with you! May as well have a drink while we wait.
No need for guilt. I'm to blame on this matter. Your answers are very good and to a great extent correct.

Quote:
Against it man hath dashed his foot: rock or stone?

Dido bereft: happiness?

I imagine the gallows at Newgate were in front of the gaol, given that public hangings were popular in the past.
Man hath dashed his foot against stone - correct
Dido did leave happiness, love, life and a lot of other things. She also left her home - where was that? It starts with "T".

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Just total guesses (so it's OK to laugh )....

The Dwellers of Lyn-dun: Celts? before William Wallace Galic?

Against it man hath dashed his foot: the earth?

Dido bereft: A woman or goddess? unconsolable?

Find Newgate Gaol, and win!: London? There was a bbc program about the prison being rebuilt more than once and it has moved I think.
These are great suggestions - so noone is laughing.
The name of the dwellers of Lun-dun is somewhat newer than the celts. They bear their name from a name of the area in which London lies, at least that's what I am informed. The name of this region is the fenland.

And yes - Newate Gaol was in front of Newgate Prison in London, where the public executions were arranged - as late as 1868. The best executioners in England were trained at this prison.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:38 AM   #10360
Iznogood
Guru

To summarize:

Starts with an "F"
Illiad - pdurrant
Norway - Bookpossum
Death - Bookpossum

Stone- Bookpossum
Starts with an "I"
Gethsemene - pdurrant
Night - pdurrant

Ephesus - Bookpossum
Of this, Dido bereft;
Starts with an "T"
Ireland - Hamlet53
North - pdurrant

Waterloo - Bookpossum
Oh, mother of all sin!
Eve - pdurrant
Lincoln - Bookpossum
London - Dreams

pdurrant has 5 points
Bookpossum has 6 points
Hamlet53 has 1 point
Dreams has 1 point

There are 3 points left, pluss decoding the message. I'll give some hints to the solutions for the three last lines in the verse, but the complete solution for these lines are not needed to decode the message:

They bear their name from a region called the fenlands. The name starts with "F"

The name starts with "I"

Of this, Dido bereft;
She left her home - which starts with a "T"

With this you have all the information needed to decode the message. It is possible to get four more points, but the only one able to compete with Bookpossum is pdurrant. If pdurrant has not come ut with more solutions within the next 24 hours, I decleare Bookpossum the winner. I'll be back shortly with the correct answers to the last three points, pluss the decoded message and the name of the book

Last edited by Iznogood; 12-16-2012 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:58 AM   #10361
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
For the whole thing we appear to have

FINDSIGNETINWELL

Find signet in well

Did someone chuck their signet ring down a well and then want to get it back?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:10 AM   #10362
Iznogood
Guru

Quote:
For the whole thing we appear to have

FINDSIGNETINWELL

Find signet in well
Entirely correct. You and Bookpussum now both have 6 points. Both of you have a chance to win, or you can share the glory together... Let's see what Bookpussum comes up with from the last parts of the hints

Quote:
Did someone chuck their signet ring down a well and then want to get it back?
It's not a signet from a ring, but it's a sort of heirloom belonging to ancient family, bringing nothing but sorrow and death. Which signet and which well you can read about in Hag's Nook, a novel by John Dickson Carr, a master of riddles and impossible crimes.

My congratulations to the mobileread society! You have solved a clue from a very delicate and intriguing detective story. This clue is not essential in the book. It does not give away the murderer or the method of the murder, it is a minor puzzle in the book, sort of a bonus to the reader. I can recomend this book to any lover of classical mysteries and impossible crimes.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:35 AM   #10363
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I have no chance of getting the other three, so I'll happily concede the next question to bookpossum, as I don't have a question ready.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #10364
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

I'm trying to remember the city Dido came from. If it begins with T, was it Tyre?

Congratulations Paul on working out the answer. Okay, I'll dig out the trusty Trivial Pursuit cards for a quick quiz, as I don't have a proper one worked out either. I'll be back shortly.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:59 PM   #10365
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
I'm trying to remember the city Dido came from. If it begins with T, was it Tyre?
Carthage. Hence a mythical explanation of the beginning of the hostility between Rome and Carthage (Aeneas founded Rome, and loved and left Dido).
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote