Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 06-19-2011, 04:38 AM   #106
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@Idolse - so can you post what such CSS will look like with all the possible variations and what you want done to it?
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:36 AM   #107
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Kovid might be better able to comment on this, but I believe you can use cssutils (already bundled into Calibre) to parse the css canonically - i.e. you wouldn't need to worry about all the potential string level variations in the css file. I've never worked with cssutils myself, so I'm not 100% sure it's applicable.

Docs:
http://cssutils.googlecode.com/svn/t.../docs/css.html

If you're just going to parse as a string then I suppose the trick would be to look for 'body' or 'page' and then grab the text between the next pair of open and closing brackets. Then either delete or zero any margins that are set.

Anyway here's an example:
Code:
.tp {  
margin-top: 1em;
margin-bottom: 1em;
margin-left: -.4em;
text-align: center;
}

@page { margin-bottom: 1em;margin-left: 1em;margin-right: 1em;margin-top: 1em;}
body { margin-bottom: 1em;margin-left: 1.5em;margin-right: 1.5em;margin-top: 1em;}
.center { text-align:center; }

.small {
  font-size: -1em;
}
And the margins could either be zero'd out like this:
Code:
.tp {  
}

@page { margin-bottom: 0em;margin-left: 0em;margin-right: 0em;margin-top: 0em;}
body { margin-bottom: 0em;margin-left: 0em;margin-right: 0em;margin-top: 0em;}

.small {
}
Or just deleted altogether:
Code:
.tp {  
}

@page { }
body { }

.small {
}
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:53 AM   #108
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Code:
font-size: -1em
Is a negative font-size valid CSS? How does it work?
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:56 AM   #109
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
I really appreciate all the work that everyone is putting into this. I have nothing of value to contribute except cheerleading, but YOU GO GUYS! Especially KiwiDude!
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:27 AM   #110
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@capnm - thanks for sending me the epub.

The problem is caused by the mimetype of the ncx file - it is set to "text/xml" rather than something more conventional like "application/x-dtbncx+xml".

To fix this requires a change to the Calibre code.
ebooks.epub.fix.container.py - line 181 - currently just looks for mt.endswith('+xml')

To be honest I may give up on using the Calibre class - I already override half the functions in it anyway to either "fix" things to the requirements for this plugin or add functionality. That would allow the plugin to be changed independently of the Calibre source.

@Idolse - thx for your post. I think I would probably go down the text replacement route to minimise the impact on the CSS file, should just be a case of figuring out an appropriate regex to use.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:22 PM   #111
capnm
Groupie
capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: sony
I ran a couple of searches against my library to see what variations of @page, body were in the css.

Some books have multiple css files. I'd just say "no" to messing with those.

There were a couple with extra labeled @page statements, which aren't 'book level'. My first thought was that therefore this variant shouldn't be touched, but as I reconsider, it probably doesn't matter.

Code:
#cover @page { 
margin-top: 0; 
}
The @page keyword can be followed by an id string before the {

Some books had multiple body statements.

I think simplest would be to just delete all occurrences of the five margin properties in all the @page and body statements.

Fancier would be to then insert a user configured string to set the four margins.

The plugin configuration could ask for four numbers, or, my preference, ask for a string. Asking for a string is simple and powerful, but leaves more room for user error

Here are some other example variations:

Code:
body { 
margin: 0; padding: 0; border-width: 0; 
font-size: 95%; 
text-align: justify; 
line-height: 120%; 
font-family:sans-serif; 
} 

@page { margin: 3pt; }
Code:
@page { margin: 14pt 0pt 16pt 0pt; } 
body { margin: 0 auto; padding: 0.75em 5%; }
capnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:15 PM   #112
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Thx for the extra posts. They show just how complicated the variations are. I think allowing a user to set values would make things even more complicated as then you have the whole units thing - em, in, pt, px, % etc.

So what is the difference between @page and body anyway? How do they relate?

I'll be honest, my enthusiasm for this has always been lukewarm for this as in editing hundreds of ePubs I haven't once hit one that needed this. If it was trivial then I would jump in and add it, but I think the examples above show it isn't.

If someone else is prepared to knock up the Python code I will happily make the effort to integrate it. Just write a function assuming you have the contents of a CSS file as input and I can take care of the rest, either PM it to me or post it here...
Old 06-19-2011, 02:51 PM   #113
capnm
Groupie
capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Unfortunately Python is way outside my comfort zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
I think allowing a user to set values would make things even more complicated as then you have the whole units thing - em, in, pt, px, % etc.
You could be restrictive and ask for four values and force the units to be pt.
Or you could just ask for a string and offer "margin-left: 5pt; margin-right: 5pt; margin-top: 10pt; margin-bottom: 10pt;" as an example. That way if the user provides an invalid string it's their fault , but it's also empowers those with a little knowledge (or daring).

Quote:
So what is the difference between @page and body anyway? How do they relate?
@page controls the size of the page and size and location of a 'box' on the page (via margins) and isn't really aware of the text, font, etc (although I think it can control widows/orphans).

body defines the text block, the "default" font, fontsize, spacing, etc and can have margins for the text inside the page box.

Actually I'm a little confused by Idolse's example, because I don't think you can use em units (which are font size dependent) at the @page level, only fixed units or %. But maybe that's just more poor coding by commercial publishers

I *think*, as Idolse said, search the css for @page or body then grab the text between the {} following, then strip out anything that begins "margin" and ends with a ";" should complete margin removal.

Then to add the desired margins you could just add them to the first @page or body you found. Or a little cleaner would be to add a new @page. Cleaner still would be to then completely delete existing any @page that is now empty.

And I wouldn't try too hard for perfection on this -- if it doesn't produce the desired result that just means the user has to hand edit that book if they really care.

And hopefully my blather will help whoever can be talked into coding this
Old 06-20-2011, 08:23 AM   #114
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Regarding all the weirdness in my css example, both Agama's and Capnm's queries - it's not my css, it's the publisher's. I don't really know why they've done what they've done in those specific examples, I just know I have an a lot of margin on these books as I think the @page and body are cumulative, which is different from how margins work inside of body.

@kiwidude, if you're just going to go the string manipulation route and aren't feeling too motivated I can give this one a shot and mock something up.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:13 AM   #115
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@Idolse - sure, go for it, using whatever means you think appropriate. My hesitation in using cssutils is that (a) I have never used it before, and (b) I am presuming it would result in writing out a completely new css file. Which introduces the "potential" for something else to be changed within it. Maybe it is me being paranoid, but of course the philosophy behind this plugin is to make as minimal changes as is possible to the ePub.

So if you can come up with something that covers all your scenarios and can send it to me that would be great.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:30 AM   #116
ldolse
Wizard

v0.3.2 beta

Changes in this Release
  • Removing Adobe XPGT margins also removes css margins on body and page selectors

Well here goes. For now I just included this as an additional function tied to the Adobe xpgt checkbox, partially because I don't like messing with gui's so much, and partially because one checkbox to remove all the junk margins makes a bit more sense to me. Your call if you want to change it.

Note this only removes margins - replacing with a user configurable margin isn't quite so easy, so I'm just going to leave that alone for now. I've just tested on a handful of epubs, so use at your own risk.

btw, if you want to add a check for this to quality check, the regex to run against css is:
Code:
re.compile(r'(?P<element_id>#\w+\s+)?(?P<selector>\bbody|@page)\b\s*{(?P<styles>[^}]+margin[^}]+);?\s*\}', re.IGNORECASE)

Last edited by ldolse; 06-20-2011 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Updated regex, removed old version
Old 06-20-2011, 12:02 PM   #117
capnm
Groupie

Sweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
Regarding all the weirdness in my css example ... it's not my css, it's the publisher's. I don't really know why they've done what they've done in those specific examples
Neither do they
Old 06-20-2011, 12:49 PM   #118
ldolse
Wizard

One variation I didn't cover just now - I couldn't find any books in my library that use #id in front of body or @page like capnm's example. I think I know how these should be handled, but I'd like a real example to test. If someone can PM me with a sample I'd appreciate it.

BTW, I searched through my library, and I've got several hundred epubs that have some sort of margin set on these selectors, it's almost as common as xpgt by itself, though I suspect in many cases the margins aren't quite as egregious...
Old 06-20-2011, 01:37 PM   #119
capnm
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
One variation I didn't cover just now - I couldn't find any books in my library that use #id in front of body or @page like capnm's example. I think I know how these should be handled, but I'd like a real example to test. If someone can PM me with a sample I'd appreciate it.
It's legit syntax, but it's definitely not common practice.

e.g.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=117930
Old 06-20-2011, 10:12 PM   #120
ldolse
Wizard

v0.3.3 beta

Changes in this release:
  • Updated css margin removal to handle ids using #

I updated some of the dialog text based on silence being tacit approval to leave this tied with the xpgt margin removal, simple enough to change later if desired.

I've tested these changes on quite a few more files now and all seems fine.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Modify ePub.zip (28.9 KB, 203 views)