Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-14-2014, 07:35 AM   #1
guerrilla
Connoisseur
guerrilla began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Making your Kindle more privacy-respectful?

Has anyone figured out anything yet about what kind of information on our reading habits our kindle shares with amazon and how?
This is really bothering me. I mean, the folks at amazon obviously know which ebooks I buy from them. Yet I'm not that confortable with them knowing possibily anything I do on my Kindle, such as my reading speed or how many notes I take while reading, my bookmarks and highlights, last page read, which ebooks I sideload on my device, etc.

I guess that a jailbroken device could allow you some kind of control over these data. Is anybody working on this?

Last edited by guerrilla; 12-14-2014 at 07:37 AM.
guerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 08:06 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerrilla View Post
Has anyone figured out anything yet about what kind of information on our reading habits our kindle shares with amazon and how?
This is really bothering me. I mean, the folks at amazon obviously know which ebooks I buy from them. Yet I'm not that confortable with them knowing possibily anything I do on my Kindle, such as my reading speed or how many notes I take while reading, my bookmarks and highlights, last page read, which ebooks I sideload on my device, etc.

I guess that a jailbroken device could allow you some kind of control over these data. Is anybody working on this?
Been there, done that, own the t-shirt.

Early in the game, Amazon simply had the Kindle upload information to their system.

Now, the emphasis is on using their cloud services with everything they can think of on your Kindle.
Have you read their statement about respecting the privacy of what information you transfer to their cloud is?
There isn't one.

P.S: Amazon owns what is ranked as the worlds 16th most powerful super computer (and a lot of ones smaller).
Just in case you are wondering if they have the computer power to data-mine and correlate every bit and byte you send them (or store on their system).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2014, 08:43 AM   #3
guerrilla
Connoisseur

So no solution?
I mean, if I upload a file to their cloud I assume no privacy is involved.
But I feel that having all my activity on my kindle logged, even when I'm offline, is a little bit different. Besides, having the device in our hands, we could theoretically identify the process(es) that log and uploads those data and take some kind of measure.
At least to have a clear idea of what we're sharing with amazon. I mean, are they tracking only the ebooks I buy from them, or are they getting a list of every single ebook I read?
In a 20 years scenario that's a little bit intimidating...

I know I could keep my kindle on airplane mode all the time, buy their books from my pc and transfer them via usb. Yet said information would only pile up to be transfered all at once the first time I'd be forced to turn wifi on.

Given those concerns, should I have bought some generic android-based ereader?
Old 12-14-2014, 09:11 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerrilla View Post
So no solution?
- - - - -
Yes there are several solutions, all posted and discussed to death years ago.
Been there, done that, own the t-shirt.

At least of the technical aspects -

We can't control the actions of the end-user.
Such as what bookmarks an end-user "syncs" with their Amazon account storage, or what words they lookup or ....
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 09:38 AM   #5
guerrilla
Connoisseur

I did a quick search before posting but didn't go far behind, I'll do a deeper search.

If you happen to have some of those threads at hand, would you please link them? Only if it's no trouble, I'll search them anyway. Thanks

EDIT: Found the thread about the KUAL Firewall with BBB filter.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=205925

Here's another interesting thread, I paste the link here for future reference:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51371

Last edited by guerrilla; 12-14-2014 at 10:32 AM.
Advert
Old 12-14-2014, 11:39 AM   #6
guerrilla
Connoisseur

So after some hours of reading I'm confused.
Kindle logs a lot of stuff but it doesn't seem to send those logs to amazon at the moment?
Am I correct?
Old 12-14-2014, 12:55 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
There is no doubt the Kindle does a lot of diagnostic logging.

What remains up for debate is Amazon's motive, or whether anyone should give a darn (name me one piece of internet technology that isn't) especially compared with the likes of e.g. Google, Facebook, Apple, Microsoft.

And if I am not mistaken, Amazon CS must ping your Kindle to upload the logs, which they care enough to do if you phone in with a problem and they think it might help.

The fact it is theoretically out there does trouble some people though. Not me.

They already know what I buy, yasher koach if they want to know how often I turn the page as I take the annotations I asked them to archive.

Last edited by eschwartz; 12-14-2014 at 01:37 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote