Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-15-2014, 10:44 AM   #1306
vphamlegionaries
vphamlegionaries began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 2
Hello,

I'm new to the Kindle field but not new to jailbreaks as I have done this from the HTCs to iPhones.

First I want to thank all you developers for the countless hours, sleepless nights in research and development.

I have a problem openning up KUAL. Here is what I've done so far (all files from NiLuJe's snapshot thread(:
1. Jailbreak > update
- ***jailbroken*** confirmation
2. MKK > update
3. Unzipped azw2 file then placed into documents folder > file shows up in list

The problem happens when I try to open the program, I get an error.

"APPLICATION ERROR"
"The selected application could not be started. Please try again"

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ltdlz4jlglh3krr/Photo0413.jpg

Details:
Bought 7/2014 from store in Rome, Italy. Wifi Only (4GB). First 4 digits of serial 9017.

thanks in advanced.

Last edited by vphamlegionaries; 07-15-2014 at 11:06 AM.
vphamlegionaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:31 PM   #1307
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@vphamlegionaries: Known issue on 9017/B017 devices. All signs point to an Amazon snafu for now. (Incidentally, this is why I haven't released the new snapshots yet).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2014, 01:15 PM   #1308
vphamlegionaries
vphamlegionaries began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 2
Thanks for the fast reply. I'll be waiting for good news soon I hope.
vphamlegionaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:24 AM   #1309
elcico
elcico began at the beginning.

Device: poketbook 912, kindle 4 & pw2
Quote:
Originally Posted by vphamlegionaries View Post
+1
elcico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:39 PM   #1310
itzi
itzi began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperhite 2, Kindle 4...
Quote:
Originally Posted by vphamlegionaries View Post
+1

Same problem with a 9017 bought in Spain.
itzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2014, 02:27 PM   #1311
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

FWIW, Kindlets (custom or official) now run on those devices since FW 5.4.5, and the KUAL builds from the snapshots handle them properly.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:30 PM   #1312
elcico
elcico began at the beginning.

Device: poketbook 912, kindle 4 & pw2
9017 with FW 5.4.5 it's working fine...
Thanks!
elcico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 12:34 PM   #1313
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Released v2.4 & Helper v0.3

Both support all the known PW2 models. And I added the 4GB PW2/5.4.5 thing to the Known Issues & Notes.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:45 PM   #1314
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Released v2.4 & Helper v0.3
Both support all the known PW2 models.

And I added the 4GB PW2/5.4.5 thing to the Known Issues & Notes.
You might want to add the: "Jailbreak before updating to 5.4.5" to that note.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:49 PM   #1315
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@knc1: Done .

---

ICYMI, I also updated the screenshots in the first post a while ago .
Old 07-27-2014, 07:15 AM   #1316
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@NiLuJe:
I am still lost about the Active Document failures.

We have reports like this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcico View Post
9017 with FW 5.4.5 it's working fine...
Thanks!
Is it that not all model 9017 devices have the 4Gbyte total flash?

I.E: Are there 9017/2Gbyte and 9017/4Gbyte devices (an engineering change that does not show in the first 4 characters)?

Perhaps we need to collect (privately) some full serial numbers and see if we should expand our key field to greater than the first 4 characters.

- - - -

Hmm....
Maybe that change which affects Active Documents did not make it into the model coding, after all, Amazon did (accidentally) disable their own Active Documents.

Last edited by knc1; 07-27-2014 at 07:21 AM.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:14 AM   #1317
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@knc1: They fixed it in 5.4.5, so I don't see anything wrong with what you quoted .
Old 07-27-2014, 11:52 AM   #1318
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@knc1: They fixed it in 5.4.5, so I don't see anything wrong with what you quoted .
Ah, so KUAL isn't (currently) affected.

Now, Collections Manager:
It didn't work prior to 5.4.5 because of either:
*Firmware version not supported, or
*Firmware version broke for non-JP, 4Gbyte devices.
And not working on 5.4.5 just because that firmware version is not supported by CM.

They (Amazon) also "fixed" our poison filename JB with 5.4.5
Drat!

- - - -

I seem to have been giving out bad advice recently - so am just trying to get this situation clear in my mind.

For the firmware 5.4.x versions that CM does support:
For the 4Gbyte, non-JP models, we could to come up with a patch to the Amazon image's memory monitor (to fix the >2Gbyte testing error).
I.E: Backport whatever they fixed in the 5.4.5 release.
(Our own use of bsdiff/bspatch in this case.)
Old 07-27-2014, 12:00 PM   #1319
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@knc1: CM is a more complex beast, it needs new 'code' [to handle new obfuscation and/or underlying code changes] for each patch-level version (i.e. for each new 'z' if we're using x.y.z as the version scheme).

And (usually, though that's not guaranteed to suffice), a simple special-casing for each new 'a' in x.y.z.a .

Which is why 5.3.7.2 support was trivial, while 5.4.5 isn't .

---

As for the non-JP 4GB devices on < 5.4.5, you'd 'simply' have to get Kindlets working on those devices on FW 5.4.3.2, which probably involves something like the workaround that was done for the 3.X-on-DXg thing, since it appears to be a case of 'oops, forgot to put those device IDs in a DB somewhere, so we don't know them'.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-27-2014 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:34 AM   #1320
lukeroge
Enthusiast
lukeroge began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
What exact versions of Kual and the helper extensions should I use for my 4GB PW2 with the new firmware?
lukeroge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch, kindle touch hacks, kindlet, kual, launcher, launcher add-ons, paperwhite, sqlite, unified