Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 05-22-2014, 01:47 PM   #1
asqueue
Enthusiast
asqueue began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4
Where is my cover?

Where on my computer is the generated cover? I think that somewhere on my computer is a directory called "generate cover" or something like that, but a search of selected places on my computer for "generate cover" (with quotes) produces only a JPEG with the graphic of the cover but not the cover with generated metadata:

C:\Users\MyPC\AppData\Roaming\calibre\resources\images\generate _cover\image.jpg

A search of Program Files produces nothing. A search of my entire computer produces every file with either "generate" or "cover" in its name or in its contents, far too many to look at individually. A quick eyeball of the list doesn't find what I'm looking for.

A search of this site for "generate cover" produces thousands of hits.

For my Kindle book Amazon wants me to submit the cover separately from the book, but I don't know where to find the complete cover.

Can anyone help?
asqueue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:53 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by asqueue View Post
Where on my computer is the generated cover? I think that somewhere on my computer is a directory called "generate cover" or something like that, but a search of selected places on my computer for "generate cover" (with quotes) produces only a JPEG with the graphic of the cover but not the cover with generated metadata:

C:\Users\MyPC\AppData\Roaming\calibre\resources\images\generate _cover\image.jpg

A search of Program Files produces nothing. A search of my entire computer produces every file with either "generate" or "cover" in its name or in its contents, far too many to look at individually. A quick eyeball of the list doesn't find what I'm looking for.

A search of this site for "generate cover" produces thousands of hits.

For my Kindle book Amazon wants me to submit the cover separately from the book, but I don't know where to find the complete cover.

Can anyone help?
cover.jpg is also in the Library
2 ways to get at it to COPY (don't remove anything in a Library folder except by using Calibre)
1) Select the book in the spreadsheet , tap 'O'
2)In the details pane (for the book); Right click the image: Copy cover

BTW the resources file you found was the template base image, not the complete cover
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:06 PM   #3
asqueue
Enthusiast

1. Where is that spreadsheet and how do I open it?
2. I right-clicked on the image to the right of the main window. I assume that's the detail pane. I selected copy cover. In Windows Explorer I went to a folder into which I wanted to copy that image and pressed Ctrl V. Nothing happened. So instead I selected the folder and right-clicked. Paste was not an option.

Sorry if these are newbie questions.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:13 PM   #4
asqueue
Enthusiast

Ah. I found it:

C:\Users\MyPC\Documents\Calibre Library\author\MyBookTitle\cover.jpg
Old 05-22-2014, 06:21 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If you right click a cover in Book Details panel it copies the image bit map (not the file) into the clipboard, from there you need to paste it into an an image editor, and save it in the required image format - BMP, PNG, GIF, JPG etc.

IMO the safest way to copy files from a book folder in Windows is :
  • First put a regular shortcut to your Desktop into your Send To folder.
  • Open book folder with 'O', and use right click Send To->Desktop.
  • That will copy the file, unlike buttonless drag drop which will move it if its on the same drive (that's the safety aspect)
  • From the desktop you can do want you want with the copied file.
BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 05-23-2014 at 12:24 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 12:16 AM   #6
asqueue
Enthusiast

Thanks. I always use Ctrl V for copying to make sure I don't accidentally move a file.

Tags
generate cover