Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-28-2014, 11:11 PM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
I've just upgraded to an iPad mini, and...

Yesterday I traded in my iPad2 for a refurbushid iPad mini 3G, and have some settling in questions. Because it is refurbished there was only the basic apps on the mini, and no manual or user guide.

- I found an iPad user guide, but not one for an iPad mini. Are they similar enough that the iPad user guide covers both?

- There is a long narrow tube running down the left side of the mini, which reminds me of the stylus holder on the first Sony readers. What is the tube for?

I established a wifi connection, and have downloaded Marvin and iBooks. I can transfer ebooks with Marvin via DropBox; is there a way I can transfer my ePub ebooks into iBooks without having to attach the mini to my Windows 7 computer?

When I first started using the iPad2 I routinely attached it to my computer, and at least initially backed up files to the computer. Is there a way I can use the mini without attaching it to my computer? If so, how can I retrieve the space on my computer hard drive?

- What are people using for a case?

Thanks in advance; I'll probably have more questions later.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:11 AM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Sounds like a nice upgrade. Yes, the operation of the two units is about the same and all your old apps on the iPad will move to the new one as long as you have the same account. You can download a DropBox app for your new iPad and use it to transfer lots of data files including eBooks to your apps wirelessly. However, Marvin can talk to your DropBox directly so you don't even have to use the DropBox app unless you want to.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:12 AM   #3
JBaby
Zealot
JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 11th Gen Paperwhite SE, 2021 iPad Pro 11” & iPhone 11 Pro
My favorite case is the Moshi VersaCover. It's so versatile. It's adds very little bulk and it's easy to manipulate since there is only one way to fold it. There aren't many cases that do portrait mode without a lot of bulk. Of course one drawback is it only has 3 angles, but that hasn't been a problem for me. It's surprisingly stable when in portrait mode. I mostly use the stand modes when out and about. At home I have a PadPivot (at desk/table) and a Prop 'n Go Lite (in bed) that let's me use my mini at multiple angles at home. Enjoy your new mini!
JBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:01 AM   #4
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks to you both.

I've downloaded the iPad User guide for iOS 7.1 and am ploughing through it. It's certainly easier to read on the mini than on the iPad2.

Dale: do I understand that I still have to attach the mini to the computer from time to time? I had hoped to be free of that. I guess I'll have to try connecting and see what happens.

JBaby: I couldn't find your recommendation in Launceston, so I bought a no-name one which is working well.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:15 AM   #5
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
A tube? Are you sure that's not just the magnet for the smart covers and styluses?

I recently upgraded from PhoneView to DiskAid (Disclaimer - I was given a promo license):
http://www.digidna.net/diskaid

It costs $30, and lets you access the device wirelessly along with the usual USB connection. I really like it because I can backup an entire app's data. I've been using it instead of iTunes to add eBooks/whatever to it aswell.

Some of the other things I like about it is the iCloud access to pull out my text files and then the Shortcuts.

So if you're really bothered about having to still stick your device to your computer all the time, check out the trial. Probably some cheaper/free alternatives that can do this too, but I wouldn't know.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:51 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Thanks to you both.

I've downloaded the iPad User guide for iOS 7.1 and am ploughing through it. It's certainly easier to read on the mini than on the iPad2.

Dale: do I understand that I still have to attach the mini to the computer from time to time? I had hoped to be free of that. I guess I'll have to try connecting and see what happens.

JBaby: I couldn't find your recommendation in Launceston, so I bought a no-name one which is working well.
You did not need to do it with your older unit either once iCloud appeared. You need to set them up on the same account. That action may need a connection to a computer but after that computer connection is optional except:
1. AZK is a format that Amazon uses for iPad and if you wish to see how it looks after conversion via the Amazon Previewer the only way to do that is to sideload it until Amazon fixes this bug.
2. There may be other applications that do not own up to the formats they support which means they might not show up in the dropbox list and email attachment list of target programs. If so then they, too, will require sideloading.

Nothing else cannot be done wirelessly.

Dale
Old 07-30-2014, 04:53 AM   #7
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
A tube? Are you sure that's not just the magnet for the smart covers and styluses?

I recently upgraded from PhoneView to DiskAid (Disclaimer - I was given a promo license):
http://www.digidna.net/diskaid
Thanks, Jessica. No, I still have no idea what it is. But I don't care much either since the nice lady who sold me the case pealed off a plastic sheet which has the tube so that the mini would fit more easily into the case.

I'll certainly check out DiskAid, but I'm still struggling with setting it up and with iCloud. I'll probably have more questions tomorrow.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:56 AM   #8
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
You did not need to do it with your older unit either once iCloud appeared. You need to set them up on the same account. That action may need a connection to a computer but after that computer connection is optional except:

<snipped>

Nothing else cannot be done wirelessly.

Dale
Thanks, Dale, but I was thinking: the wifi send stuff to the iPad and my compute and so on. How does the iPad send stuff back? You can see that there is a lot I don't know.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:22 AM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Thanks, Dale, but I was thinking: the wifi send stuff to the iPad and my compute and so on. How does the iPad send stuff back? You can see that there is a lot I don't know.
iPad data is application specific so the application must send it back. What data do you want to send back? Marvin eBook reader, for example can sync its data to dropbox. Backups are automatic on the iCloud of things you select. You can have iCoud on your computer. There are some apps that will let you use a browser and the iPad ip address to move files back and forth. Only you can decide if this is enough or just use iTunes. There are, by the way, some substitutes for iTunes such as media monkey.

Dale
Old 07-30-2014, 09:08 PM   #10
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Backups are automatic on the iCloud of things you select.

Dale
Thanks again, Dale. I appreciate the trouble you're taking, and your patience with my ignorance. Here are several iCloud specific questions.

How does one select things to be backed up?

Is there a User Guide for iCloud? I've searched but haven't found one.

I don't know how I did it, but after floundering around I found that some books I'd downloaded to the iPad2 have shown themselves to be available for download on the mini. But I don't want most of them any more - especially the User Guide for iOS 5. Is there a way of deleting ebooks from iCloud?

Although the Apple ebooks are now available none of the ePubs I designed and side loaded to iBooks on the iPad2 are available. The folder/collection structure is there, but there is nothing showing in the collections devoted to ebooks I've designed. Have I done something wrong, or does iCloud only backup Apple ebooks? Interesting enough all the ebooks I had loaded into Marvin on the iPad2 via DropBox showed up, and in fact downloaded themselves from iCloud to the mini.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:10 AM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Apple iCoud has a PC version. Yes, there is an iCloud manual for the iPad. It is called iCloud Mini guide. It is a free download from Apple. To control the iCloud on your iPad use the settings application and notice the iCloud button on the left side. This is where you do everything to iCloud from your iPad. This that are in the bookstore need not be deleted. Just don't download them.

I use DropBox myself to download my eBooks for my reading apps, including iBooks. I have a copy on my iPad and a copy on my PC. But any cloud server will work. My iCloud is almost full doing backups for both my iPhone and iPad.

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 07-31-2014 at 01:12 AM.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:13 PM   #12
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Alex, iCloud is managed on individual iOS devices through the Settings app on the device, iCloud sub-menu item. There will be on/off switches you can set there for each app that uses iCloud.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:46 PM   #13
AlexBell
Wizard

Thanks to you both.

I'll try to find the iCloud Mini guide, but have found iCloud for beginners in the Apple store.

It has a section on iCloud spring cleaning, with a nice image of the 'iCloud preference pane,' with a Manage key. The diagram does not look anything like what I see when I go to Settings>iCloud. Where do I find the iCloud preference pane?

Should there be an icon for iClouds on my mini?

Any suggestions as to why the ePub ebooks I designed myself are not available?

Is there a way I can tell the mini to download from iCloud now, or do a backup now?