Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-27-2023, 11:23 AM   #1
Marek
Zealot
Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: PW4 :(, KT5, PB628
Arrow LanguageBreak - Software Jailbreak for any Kindle <= 5.16.2.1.1

LanguageBreak
Jailbreak for any kindle running FW 5.16.2.1.1 or LOWER

You can also attempt the "one-click" method described here: https://github.com/notmarek/LanguageBreak/tree/oneclick

Do not update past 5.16.2.1.1 even after jailbreak, there have been big changes since and everything is broken, only thing you can do on these versions is downgrade (if your jailbreak survived).

Big thanks to Bluebotlabs for all the help along the way and GeorgeYellow and bulltricks for bringing the vulnerability to light

The attached file should always be up-to-date but i recommend using the one found here

Make sure to remove any kind of password lock - if you forget to this and are stuck on the password screen enter 111222777 and the kindle will factory reset.

Your files will be deleted make sure to make a backup.

Installation

Make sure to read the entirety of the instructions before proceeding.

First and foremost make sure that there are no stray .bin files or update.bin.tmp.partial files on the kindle before beginning
Jailbreak
Code:
1. Type ;enter_demo in the Kindle search bar
2. Reboot the device
3. Once in demo mode, skip setting up wifi and enter random values for store registration
4. Skip searching for a demo payload
5. Select the "standard" demo type
6. Press "Done" at the prompt to sideload content.
7. Once the demo is setup, do the "secret gesture" (double finger tap on bottom right of screen then swipe left)
8. Enter the demo configuration menu by typing ;demo into the search bar
9. Select the "Sideload Content" option
10. Copy the contents of the LanguageBreak folder to the Kindle - merging and replacing all files
11. Unplug your kindle and go back to the demo menu
12. Select the "Resell Device" option
13. And press Yes/Resell
14. Now wait for the press power button to start
15. As soon as it appears plug your kindle back to your computer and copy the contents of the LanguageBreak folder into it once again, overwrite files then safely eject
16. Hold the power button as instructed on screen
17. You should be in a language selection menu in a few seconds
18. Choose Chinese (简体中文) (The one above the odd Pseudot language)
19. Your kindle should reboot and you should see some log message on the screen
Post Jailbreak

Code:
1. After the device has rebooted, type ;uzb into the search bar
2. Connect the device to a PC and copy update_hotfix_languagebreak-{language you want to end up with}.bin to the root of the Kindle storage
3. Eject the device and either enter ;dsts or swipe down and select the settings icon to enter the device settings menu
4. Select Update Your Kindle to install the custom hotfix
5. This will take your device out of demo mode and clean up unneeded jailbreak files.
Post Post Jailbreak
Code:
Stuck in chinese, demo or device is managed after jailbreak?
All you need to do is 
;demo => press the right button it should "enter demo" but it will actually reset into normal mode with English 
After this check if you have mkk folder on your kindle - if it's missing reinstall the hotfix and have fun :)
Troubleshooting
Can't seem to get it to work?
Spoiler:
Download the update file of the kindle version you are currently on from amazon install it and try again.

for example you can use this link by replacing the Xs with your version to get a file for you kindle
Code:
PW5: https://s3.amazonaws.com/firmwaredownloads/update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_11th_5.XX.X.bin
PW4: https://s3.amazonaws.com/firmwaredownloads/update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_v2_5.XX.X.bin
PW3: https://s3.amazonaws.com/firmwaredownloads/update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_5.XX.X.bin
Kindle 11th Gen: https://s3.amazonaws.com/firmwaredownloads/update_kindle_11th_5.XX.X.bin
Kindle 10th Gen: https://s3.amazonaws.com/firmwaredownloads/update_kindle_10th_5.XX.X.bin
Kindle 8th Gen: https://s3.amazonaws.com/firmwaredownloads/update_kindle_8th_5.XX.X.bin
Scribe: https://s3.amazonaws.com/firmwaredownloads/update_kindle_scribe_5.XX.X.bin
Oasis 10th Gen: https://s3.amazonaws.com/firmwaredownloads/update_kindle_all_new_oasis_v2_5.XX.X.bin
Oasis 9th Gen: https://s3.amazonaws.com/firmwaredownloads/update_kindle_all_new_oasis_5.XX.X.bin
Oasis 8th Gen: https://s3.amazonaws.com/firmwaredownloads/update_kindle_oasis_5.XX.X.bin
eg version 5.16.2.1.1 for PW4 would be https://s3.amazonaws.com/firmwaredow...5.16.2.1.1.bin

Consider buying me a coffee
Attached Files
File Type: gz LanguageBreak-16.11.23.tar.gz (2.42 MB, 1517 views)

Last edited by Marek; 11-16-2023 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Updated Hotfix
Marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 11:24 AM   #2
Marek
Zealot
Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Github link
https://github.com/notmarek/LanguageBreak
Advert
Old 10-27-2023, 11:31 AM   #3
Marek
Zealot

I hope I don't have to mention this but i take no responsibility if something happens to your kindle.
Old 10-27-2023, 12:53 PM   #4
reminon
Enthusiast
reminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle Scribe.
Nice! Will try on my scribe in a bit.
reminon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 12:57 PM   #5
Marek
Zealot

Would love to be able to edit posts. -- use the LanguageBreak.tar.gz attached to this github release https://github.com/notmarek/LanguageBreak/releases/tag/1.0.1
- it has a fix for the hotfix - if you already jailbroke please reinstall the hotfix from there

----

Moderator Notice
Updated attachment in first post to 1.0.1

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-27-2023 at 02:35 PM.
Advert
Old 10-27-2023, 01:20 PM   #6
joh77
joh77 began at the beginning.

Device: KO3
Wow. Amazing job Marek!!

One question - Will this jb procedure delete all my sideloaded books? should I make a backup?
joh77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 02:24 PM   #7
reminon
Enthusiast
reminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Yes. Make a backup. Always make a backup.
Old 10-27-2023, 02:53 PM   #8
GeorgeYellow
Enthusiast
GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Nook, Kindle
Excellent! Thank you!

I had great success with a KT4 (G090VB, shows as Kindle 10th Generation) on firmware 5.14.3.2

Things of note:
1. "Chinese" was the last language on the options after reset, there was no 'psuedodot" language on this version of the firmware.

2. When it rebooted after the jailbreak, it appeared to be out of demo, and allowed changing the language. I was able to install the hotfix after rebooting from the language change.

3. Going through in Chinese is tricky. Maybe the Jailbreak script could switch back to English?

4. The window to mount the drive and copy the files seems fairly short and it doesn't change the screen

5. the instructions should clarify that this involves a factory reset, and will wipe everything from userstore
GeorgeYellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 04:00 PM   #9
henrizito
henrizito began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I am stuck on steps 14-16. I am following these steps, but when it reboots, it's not giving me an option to select the language in step #17. Any clues?
henrizito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 04:05 PM   #10
Marek
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrizito View Post
I am stuck on steps 14-16. I am following these steps, but when it reboots, it's not giving me an option to select the language in step #17. Any clues?
What's your device and FW version? from my testing it works best on 5.16.2.1 or somewhere around 5.16.2 - tested on two PW5 and a PW4
Old 10-27-2023, 04:13 PM   #11
henrizito
henrizito began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek View Post
What's your device and FW version? from my testing it works best on 5.16.2.1 or somewhere around 5.16.2 - tested on two PW5 and a PW4
PW2 FW:5.12.2.2
henrizito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 04:15 PM   #12
gunnm
Connoisseur
gunnm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW(2018), Boyue T103D.
Any? Even scribe?
gunnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 04:44 PM   #13
reminon
Enthusiast

On 5.16.1 with my scribe. Initially ran the jailbreak. after following all of the steps and installing the hotfix, it left me in a pseudo demo mode, where it looked like normal mode but still in chinese, had me setup my device as thats all i could do. After setting up my device it left me with wifi connected, but unable to disable wifi or enable airplane mode. I had to keep fighting with it downloading updates ever couple of minutes. Eventually I saw your update the the jailbreak. I entered demo mode again and followed the jailbreak instructions a second time. This left me at an english setup screen . After setting up my device again, everything looks normal and enabled airplane mode.

When I boot my kindle it shows bridge+ while booting, but when I enter ;log mrpi "I have the files for mrpi and kual coplate copied over" nothing happens it just searches for the term instead of loading mrpi and installing kual. I fell I am missing something. any ideas?
Old 10-27-2023, 04:49 PM   #14
Marek
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by reminon View Post
On 5.16.1 with my scribe. Initially ran the jailbreak. after following all of the steps and installing the hotfix, it left me in a pseudo demo mode, where it looked like normal mode but still in chinese, had me setup my device as thats all i could do. After setting up my device it left me with wifi connected, but unable to disable wifi or enable airplane mode. I had to keep fighting with it downloading updates ever couple of minutes. Eventually I saw your update the the jailbreak. I entered demo mode again and followed the jailbreak instructions a second time. This left me at an english setup screen . After setting up my device again, everything looks normal and enabled airplane mode.

When I boot my kindle it shows bridge+ while booting, but when I enter ;log mrpi "I have the files for mrpi and kual coplate copied over" nothing happens it just searches for the term instead of loading mrpi and installing kual. I fell I am missing something. any ideas?
Have you tried rebooting ? does it always say bridge+ ? would you mind talking over in dms or on discord? afaik this is the first Scribe jb so the bridge isnt optimized for it
Old 10-27-2023, 04:51 PM   #15
Bella
Bella began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 3
I managed to do it on a pw3! I skipped step 15 because my Kindle restarted before I could copy the files. But it ended up working out anyway. It is not possible to install KUAL yet.
Thank you very much!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20231027_174225_023.jpg
Views:	2049
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	204449  
Bella is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jailbreak, jailbreak 5.16..2.1.1, languagebreak