Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-20-2010, 04:17 PM   #1
leisn
leisn began at the beginning.

Device: sony PRS-600
Does the dictionary in Sony PRS600 work in PDF files

Hi, I am considering to buy a PSR-600 for PDF orgnizing and reading. Please would anyone who has used this reader provide some information on how the dictionary works in PDF files.
leisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 05:32 PM   #2
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
It can work in a PDF file on the PRS-900.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 07:00 PM   #3
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I believe only text-based PDF's.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:14 PM   #4
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
They definitely have to be text PDF's. I also have not had the most reliable experience with using the dictionary if the PDF in question is a multi-column layout. I double tap on a word and it selects several words for some reason.
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 06:08 AM   #5
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
I've had a similar experience as ziegl027 on my 600 with multi-column files or files with heavy layout. As far as "books"-only (novels and such), the dictionary works perfectly fine.
And yes, it works only with real pdfs (obviously). Pdfs created from scanned templates which haven't gone through OCR are just images.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 03:19 PM   #6
Bltprf502
Enthusiast
Bltprf502 doesn't litterBltprf502 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-300S (GONE), Samsung Galaxy Tab, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
It can work in a PDF file on the PRS-900.
Ditto... Just got my 900 yesterday and noticed that cool feature. How do you like the 900?
Bltprf502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 03:50 PM   #7
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bltprf502 View Post
Ditto... Just got my 900 yesterday and noticed that cool feature. How do you like the 900?

I'm very pleased with it, and have read a good few books on it now. It's a very rapidly changing market, though, and I expect that in another 6-18 months I might have bought something else with a markedly better screen. Having had a reader for a while, my priority is definitely the reading experience, rather than the faffing about in-between (on-line purchase, finding books etc.) - so a markedly better quality touch-screen is what would prompt me to want anything else (the touch screen is a must-have for me now, for dictionary access primarily). The size and aesthetics are excellent as they are, except for A4-format things like many PDFs, for which I would prefer a different reader (in addition - I wouldn't want to only have an A4 reader, for portability reasons).
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 04:44 PM   #8
Bltprf502
Enthusiast
Bltprf502 doesn't litterBltprf502 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-300S (GONE), Samsung Galaxy Tab, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post

I'm very pleased with it, and have read a good few books on it now. It's a very rapidly changing market, though, and I expect that in another 6-18 months I might have bought something else with a markedly better screen. Having had a reader for a while, my priority is definitely the reading experience, rather than the faffing about in-between (on-line purchase, finding books etc.) - so a markedly better quality touch-screen is what would prompt me to want anything else (the touch screen is a must-have for me now, for dictionary access primarily). The size and aesthetics are excellent as they are, except for A4-format things like many PDFs, for which I would prefer a different reader (in addition - I wouldn't want to only have an A4 reader, for portability reasons).
I wanted a Kindle or Nook, but not comfortable with the "locked in" feeling. Sony is just more open to different formats without making software exceptions. I haven't found anything I can't load on it. Maybe I'm lucky. I can't decide if its worth keeping it or sticking with the 300. Right now I have both.... Big price difference!

And back on topic... All Sony 300,600, 900 that I have had experience with do the PDF thing just great.. among other formats as well. Maybe that s why I like the Sony's.
Bltprf502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:00 AM   #9
s3ntient
s3ntient began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
The dictionary doesn't work with PDFs created with LaTeX.
s3ntient is offline   Reply With Quote