Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 03-13-2021, 09:01 PM   #1
Bradles
Connoisseur
Bradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmos

Device: Apple Books & Kobo Libra H20
Metadata Download Plugin - Bulk Downloads

I'm working on a metadata download plugin for LibraryThing, which has been "educational" and somewhat successful. I based it on the Smashwords plugin, so it uses the goodreads-style Worker thread model.

My first question concerns the frequency at which the bulk downloads are initiated (i.e. select multiple books then Ctrl+D). Is this impacted by the "sleep" after worker.start()? The reason I ask is that after three or four isbn lookups librarything blocks me and everything returns a 404 error after that. (It returns to normal after a period of time.) I would like to "pace" the calls to see if it makes any difference.

The second question concerns the get_book_url() function, which is called whenever a book is selected. I think I read that this is used to generate the URL executed when the identifier is clicked. But how does this relate to "rules to convert identifiers into links" as specified in Prefs / Book Details? One supersedes the other I guess?

Cheers.
Bradles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 09:14 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There is no fixed freq, IIRC when all metadata for one book is downloaded the next is started. As for the rules vs plugins, IIRC rules have higher precedence.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 10:23 PM   #3
Bradles
Connoisseur
Bradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmos

Device: Apple Books & Kobo Libra H20
Thanks Kovid.

To partially answer my own question, adding a 10 second sleep does pace the books out nicely, but doesn't help me with librarything, which still blocks me. I'll see if they can advise an acceptable pace.
Bradles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
librarything, metadata, plugin development