Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-09-2013, 05:46 PM   #1
papaholmz
Just a Dude with a Kobo
papaholmz began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura ONE 32GB
Kindle PW2 or Kobo Aura HD?

They look very similar and I would like to get one or the other now that my Sony is on it's way out.

My hangup with the Kindle PW2 is no epub support. I know I can convert with Calibre, but it's a pain and it's just the principle of the matter. They don't support epub because they want you to be "locked in" to the Kindle so-to-speak. I hate proprietary stuff.

My hangup with the Kobo Aura HD is I'm unsure of the quality of the Kobo reader and I don't know if I like the fact that the back of it isn't flat (according to the pictures on the Kobo website).

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Cheers,
John
papaholmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:19 PM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by papaholmz View Post
They look very similar and I would like to get one or the other now that my Sony is on it's way out.

My hangup with the Kindle PW2 is no epub support. I know I can convert with Calibre, but it's a pain and it's just the principle of the matter. They don't support epub because they want you to be "locked in" to the Kindle so-to-speak. I hate proprietary stuff.

My hangup with the Kobo Aura HD is I'm unsure of the quality of the Kobo reader and I don't know if I like the fact that the back of it isn't flat (according to the pictures on the Kobo website).

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Cheers,
John
Not a big Kobo fan but I doubt the flat back will bother you. Not a problem for me with the Aura HD and it has a wavy back. Doubt you will care unless it offends your eyes.

For me it is about reading the book. Good display, software you can count on, everything works once I start reading or even when deciding what to read. Bells and whistles are great, but I'm happy if the basic stuff works. You pretty much need hands on experience in that respect. Myself I am leaning towards the new Sony, not that I actually need another reader.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2013, 07:44 PM   #3
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Unless you're really concerned with size which you don't seem to be considering that you're also thinking of going with a 6" Paperwhite, I would suggest giving the Aura a serious look. It's technically better than the HD and the back design isn't nearly as prominent, plus it's much grippier which is one thing I don't like about my Aura HD. When it comes to quality of hardware, Kobo has been quite good in my experience.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:39 AM   #4
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I am not a fan of proprietary either, which is one of the reasons that I stay away from apple products. i would not call mobi proprietary, if it was you would have to get all of your mobi formatted books from amazon. Calibre would not be allowed to translate into the mobi format if it was proprietary. I like dealing with amazon because there business model appears to be to provide the books that you want at the lowest possible price. Amazon appears to be willing to under cut publishers and other book store's prices, and that's the sort of estore that I want to deal with.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote